Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Unraveler

Torpedo Booster

9 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,466 battles

Been playing around with my new Hatsuharu (possibly the prettiest of all the IJN destroyers) and her Torpedo Booster consumable, which replaces the Smoke Generator. So far my results have been overwhelmingly underwhelming. For those unfamiliar with the consumable - it's only available on Hatsuharu and Kagerou - when activated, all the torpedo reload timers instantly drop to 30 seconds. So you can fire a full salvo and then another 30 seconds later. The consumable itself has a 6 minute recharge, though, so you have to be very sure you'll have a good chance to fire the second salvo 30 seconds later or it's effectively wasted and you might not get another chance to use it that battle.

There's a few issues I keep running into. Firstly, Hatsuharu is a stealth-torp vessel. The first salvo might catch an enemy by surprise but it will also alert them to danger, and the second salvo will then be much harder to land as a result. Secondly, 30 seconds is a bit too long to use in an emergency, reactive capacity. If it was 10 seconds or less then it would be handy for getting her torps ready omg-right-now-where-did-that-guy-come-from! But 30 seconds? In 30 seconds you'll either be dead or have made your escape already. Probably dead because... Lastly, you have to forgo your precious smoke in the 2nd-most unstealthy IJN destroyer in the game (only Shimakaze has a higher detection range, and even that's only by 0.1km - this is due to the tiers above Hatsuharu gaining access to the Concealment Module).

Any ideas on tactics for using this consumable? The best I can come up with is some sort of salvo stacking by following the first wave in and dropping the second spread close behind them. ie. A suicide torp run.

Edited by Unraveler

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

The best tactics for this consumable is to remove it and put the smoke back where it belongs.

+1

403 posts
8,180 battles

I have the Kagero and I can confirm that the reload booster is useless without both the F3 torps and a full camo build (5.5km detection range, Think ninja assassin). Im about 20k xp away from those torps, so I will try again after I have that done.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,466 battles

Yeah, it does seem like a lost cause. But I'm gonna keep losing matches trying! Someday, thousands of battles from now, there will be a match where the Torpedo Booster will actually come in handy and I will wreak righteous retribution upon that enemy team. And my team will still probably lose.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Yeah, it does seem like a lost cause. But I'm gonna keep losing matches trying! Someday, thousands of battles from now, there will be a match where the Torpedo Booster will actually come in handy and I will wreak righteous retribution upon that enemy team. And my team will still probably lose.

That day will surely come. But RNG will dictate when that happens, your ping will be 999+ and your game shall crash after said torps have been fired, thus not allowing you to view victory/defeat screen.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

If you insist on using it rather than smoke...

• Look for unaware targets - Targets that constantly fight constantly maneuver, making aiming torpedoes hard to use. If you see 3 enemies engaging your team, aim your torpedoes at the one taking the least amount of fire.
  • Look for places with minimal detection risk - Getting spotted is a guaranteed way to make people be wary of your torpedoes. If you're spotted, you are literally better off ignoring the lead indicator and predicting their next move- Usually a very sharp turn that allows them to fire all their guns broadside.
  • Find a defensible position before firing your torpedoes - You have no smokescreen, so when things go wrong, you need to make sure you have a hiding spot or have allies nearby.
  • Find a good position to fire at them from- Maximize torpedo hits by launching them at their flanks when they're advancing forward- They'll usually be bow-on, exposing their large broadsides.
  • Be map-aware - Whether or not your torpedoes will hit can be dependent on what's happening to your allies. If it's going bad, it's time to run. Pressing 'M' will also conveniently allow you to check your torpedoes' position without compromising map awareness as opposed to the 'Z' key.
  • However, if things are going well, you need to start moving in advance of your team - The team will catch the enemy's attention, you focus on getting to their flanks undetected. You're also only slightly faster than a cruiser, so when things start going well, you better have already been moving up.
  • If things go bad and/or irrecoverable, advance - If you're being chased by something like a Kiev that possesses both superior guns and speed and there's no cover/allies around, you're better off turning around and confronting it at close range with torpedoes. Do not fire them as soon as the lead indicator aligns, fire them at <3km range where it cannot be dodged. Hatsuharu has excellent forward-launch arcs so you can 'dive' at targets at CQC from island to island, as well.

Sign in to follow this