Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BuckleUpBones

Zao torpedo arcs

11 comments in this topic

435 posts
6,169 battles

Can we have a “Type F3 Mod 2” torpedo upgrade to improve the torpedo arcs?

If I was captain I would have ordered my engineer to cut wider holes in the hull, even while at sea.

If I was admiral I would have ordered the Zao and her sister ships back to port for a refit.

At least a 20% forward arc increases for the forward tubes and a 20% aft arc increases for the aft tubes.

Or 2 extra mods, 1 to only increase the forward arc 30% and 1 to only increases aft arc 30%, the choice would be the player.

Edited by Yul_Brynner

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Though if we look at it in an aspect, the strict limitations to the tubes is to prevent hyper-aggressive players to NOT completely dominate in close range brawls. Remember that their torpedoes are potent as hell and adding more degrees to the tube arcs on Zao which is already a very potent cruiser in the hands of skilled players will literally see her dominating close range combatants as popping all pairs can theoretically destroy the toughest battleship in mere seconds upon impact. And adding the fact that deceptive maneuverings is one reason why people fail to be extremely wary of a Japanese cruiser turning tail and running mid-engagement which makes Zao into an incredibly wary target when she actually does said maneuvers in such engagements at the 6km range since one of her great assets is her ergonomics and speed to literally be "in and out" (well add the fact Zao's a paper 1941 cruiser that has 1944 modifications aboard to keep her in line with her peers as Hindenburg, paper or fantasy, has '44 and '45 fits as herself).

Take into example her colleague Hindenburg as at most senses she can only user her swivel mounted torpedoes as a defensive close-in weapon unlike Zao's which can be used offensively provided the player knows how to maneuver to position for a run.

Just a random bit.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

The arc is limited by the ship's original design, there's not much can be done about that unless the launcher clips through the ship model.

Same goes for most IJN Cruisers with rearward torp arc (anything that's not Furutaka or Takao/Atago), if they want to use those torps they have to turn away.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

zao is already a solid ship. she don't need those torpedo arch upgrade. she's already an excellent sniper, she can snipe dd at 15km and can invisifire. giving her those torpedo arch will make her dominate close quarter too.

435 posts
6,169 battles

You can’t uses Zao torpedoes on attack or retreat, only full broadside. You can only try to uses them in your final moments in a dead turn or launching them from behind an island.

At medium range Zao can’t return the fire rate as her counterparts, so would it be better to match the fire rate at 10 seconds per salvo or to improve her torps a little, to make them either offensive or defensive. All I’m suggesting is to make them useful as per all the other IJN cruisers.

This might irk some captions but with 4 T10 cruisers I think the Moskva out guns everyone, Hindenburg on par and the Des Moines same old same old but the Zao has now fallen behind.

Edited by Yul_Brynner

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

You can’t uses Zao torpedoes on attack or retreat, only full broadside. You can only try to uses them in your final moments in a dead turn or launching them from behind an island.

At medium range Zao can’t return the fire rate as her counterparts, so would it be better to match the fire rate at 10 seconds per salvo or to improve her torps a little, to make them either offensive or defensive. All I’m suggesting is to make them useful as per all the other IJN cruisers.

because zao is not a brawler. she has fantastic shell arch and speed. she can even invisifire and rain down HE against bb with impunity without exposing yourself to danger. her strength is at long range and not brawl.

266 posts
5,142 battles

@OP, Zao is already one of the most faceroll, borderline overpowered ship. It's literally the 'easy mode' of this game. And you still want to buff her...?

I don't see how this can end well for the game balance...

435 posts
6,169 battles

she has fantastic shell arch and speed. she can even invisifire and rain down HE against bb with impunity without exposing yourself to danger. her strength is at long range and not brawl.

This sound like the Des Moines but she has 6s fire rate (stock)
Edited by Yul_Brynner

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

This sound like the Des Moines but she has 6s fire rate (stock)

pfft. des moines has horrible shell arc and shell speed. she can't hit anything but battleship at long range. while zao can snipe destroyer at 15km without problem at all. plus des moines has lower fire chance and he damage, unlike zao godly HE and fire starting chance.

plus des moines has to use island to fire safely against battleship while zao can invisifire.

Sign in to follow this