Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
pwnies5600

Torpedo physics

9 comments in this topic

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

Can someone explain to me how torpedoes generally work in the game? I've had quite a few lucky dodges because the torpedo simply passed through the ship and didn't blow up. Are the torpedoes submerged to a certain depth so as long as the draft at that part of my ship is lesser than the torpedo depth I can just sail over it?

Video attached because I have no idea how to save a replay on a mac, I just came across this today so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

The torps are at a certain depth. During high-speed turns, you can raise the ship enough so the torpedo won't hit- That's IF the draft was already high enough (ie tiny destroyer) in the first place.

You can also try capsizing your allies by ramming them, it'll move their low pointy ends higher.

345 posts
3,652 battles

I was playing CV and one of my torp passed through the center of the enemy CV

"fun and engaging mechanics"

Just like the german BBs immunity to citadel hits. 

"truly engaging"

5 km from a broadside scharn with my nagato. 8 410mm shells, 0 citadel hits

"you have got to be kidding me"

Edited by Loshirai14

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

The torps are at a certain depth. During high-speed turns, you can raise the ship enough so the torpedo won't hit- That's IF the draft was already high enough (ie tiny destroyer) in the first place.

You can also try capsizing your allies by ramming them, it'll move their low pointy ends higher.

Ah thanks, that explains why I've been dancing with death these few days in my minekaze and live to tell the tale. Still those moments keep me on the edge of my seat when you are on low enough hitpoints to die to one shell hit.

72 posts
2,544 battles

Bomber-dropped torpedoes need some time to arm after they are dropped.

I had a match in my Isokaze where I had to face off 2 Zuihos and their torpedo bombers while I capped their base with a Minekaze.

They sent in the first wave of bombers, and since they were pretty much autodropping I dodged all of them torpedoes and bombers. I told the Minekaze, go find the CVs, I will take it from here.

Which cue them to send in a more intense second wave of bombers against me alone. Out of the 4 squadrons of autodropped torpedoes, 2 of them were prearmed and I just sailed above the torpedoes like nothing happened. Needless to say, their autodropped dive bombers hit nothing too.

And yes, we won that match by my full capture of the base. Sorry Minekaze.

Edited by Calderhunt

563 posts
4,686 battles

Just like the german BBs immunity to citadel hits. 

"truly engaging"

5 km from a broadside scharn with my nagato. 8 410mm shells, 0 citadel hits

"you have got to be kidding me"

They aren't immune to cits. I citadel a Scharnhorst with my Scharnhorst from 18km, their deck armor is crap. They're vulnerable from long range. And even without cits. 4+ pens from Nagato guns still hurts

Edited by Admiral_Turing

345 posts
3,652 battles

They aren't immune to cits. I citadel a Scharnhorst with my Scharnhorst from 18km, their deck armor is crap. They're vulnerable from long range. And even without cits. 4+ pens from Nagato guns still hurts

And if a torp pass trough center of a ship without doing anything, they haven't armed. It's on you, not on the mechanics

I've been shooting scharns from the same range, never got a citadel hit. You're lucky that your 280mm guns managed to citadel a scharn while my 410mm cant.

unarmed torps dont "pass through". They stop at contact. What happened to me is it literally "passed through" while armed.

563 posts
4,686 battles

I've been shooting scharns from the same range, never got a citadel hit. You're lucky that your 280mm guns managed to citadel a scharn while my 410mm cant.

unarmed torps dont "pass through". They stop at contact. What happened to me is it literally "passed through" while armed.

Yes indeed it's luck. I'm completely surprised by it. But you simply can't citadel turtleback armor under 14km. You can still hurt them with normal pen, it won't be easy since scharn has crazy thick belt armor. But the upper belt is a bit soft

Well if that's the case it's a bug

435 posts
6,169 battles

In camera mode I have witness a few times torpedoes passing through ships without impact, all were mid-ship contacts (or non-contacts). I even asking one guy if he was cheating (downloadable mods).

I wonder if the 3rd or 4th torpedo impact criteria is bugged or if the impact was to be devastating strike but the info wasn’t pass or it was just lost. It’s something you can’t replicate. In most games it was down to the last few salvos where it mean a win or lost

Sign eyewitness.

Edited by Yul_Brynner

Sign in to follow this