You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
KirstieBeau

Aiming Konig's Guns

7 comments in this topic

173 posts
5,332 battles

Really enjoyed the Konig. She has the highest average damage BB on my stats so far. Now, I'm not unicum BB driver so I want to ask. How do you aim the guns of the Konig at a broadsiding and angled BB? Because it has only 12 inch guns so I don't expect huge citadel hits on a BB but I can get reliable chip damage. I tried experimenting aiming at different parts of the BB at different ranges and I can get 3K - 8K salvos regularly. So how do you guys aim so I could get more reliable damage? Against IJN BB like Kongo and Fuso, aiming at the waterline is the best as I can pen their relatively thinner belt armor. But how about the USN and KM BBs?

Broadside New Mexico and NY at 13KM and at 7KM. Waterline or the thinner upper hull?

Broadside Bayern or Konig at 13KM and at 7KM. Waterline or upper hull?

Angled BB? Waterline or deck armor?

Thanks.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

With the T5 you won't hit too reliably so I wouldn't bother aiming precisely like you would at high tiers. Just aim for the centre mass and a little higher than waterline so most shells disperse into their ship. For Kongō and Fuso aiming centre is best, for USN BB aim a little higher because their armour is stronk

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,466 battles

The 305mm won't overmatch any battleship bow armour. You could try for the turrets or deck, I suppose, but the dispersion will make it unreliable. HE and firestarting is probably better option if they're bow-on. Light them up as you close the range and prepare your knockout blow.

Edit: 305mm will overmatch ships with 19mm front ends. It's the 25mm ones you'll bounce off.

Edited by Unraveler

563 posts
4,686 battles

Broadside aim at the center citadel, and a bit higher from waterline, but when up close, yeah you can just try that massive citadel hits. I find penetrating hits alone satisfying in this ship. Angled..? Meh I'll try look for other target.. But just aim for turret or superstructure 

Edited by Admiral_Turing

173 posts
5,332 battles

The 305mm won't overmatch any battleship bow armour. You could try for the turrets or deck, I suppose, but the dispersion will make it unreliable. HE and firestarting is probably better option if they're bow-on. Light them up as you close the range and prepare your knockout blow.

Edit: 305mm will overmatch ships with 19mm front ends. It's the 25mm ones you'll bounce off.

I've tried shooting at bow-on Kongo today and indeed penetrated the bow for a citadel hit. :teethhappy:

Broadside aim at the center citadel, and a bit higher from waterline, but when up close, yeah you can just try that massive citadel hits. I find penetrating hits alone satisfying in this ship. Angled..? Meh I'll try look for other target.. But just aim for turret or superstructure 

I've experimented on a couple BBs today, a waterline shot at a New Mex for 5K damage. Aimed at another New Mex this time aiming a bit higher and got 11K damage. Thanks for all the advice!  :)