Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
fuzzjunky

why is the Gneis such a pig?

40 comments in this topic

248 posts

it looks so beautiful, it looks dangerous.

but after a week in her i can only say BRING ON THE BISMARCK.

I simply cannot wait to sell the Gneis.

my win rate is half of what i get in the nagato. LITERALLY

the guns are absolutely horrid. the dispersion makes me ACTUALLY LAUGH regularly. [AND THEN CRY]

for people who are going to work through the bb line,

my advice is DO NOT SELL THE BAYERN.

it's a great ship. will make great ranks material for bb players [lower ranks]

and do not expect too much from the Gneis.

it is no Nagato. it is not even close.

it burns at the mere sight of fire. it only has 6 guns, it takes damage like a champ,

and O M G that dispersion. 30k more research and i will be rid of her forever and it will be my most satisfying ship sale ever.

i will dance around the room with joy

Edited by fuzzjunky

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Gneisenau is a very hit-or-miss ship. When she's good, she's very good. When she's bad, she's outright horrible. It really all depends on how you deal with only having six guns. Some players (like me) love it. Others will hate it.

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Your RNG

Strong it must be.

my first game with her, I got high caliber, demolishing kongo, and laugh at omaha puny guns. 2nd game were very nice also.

OMG this ship were awesome, then it all slowly spiraling downhilll from that. 

I sell her after 16 match and goes Free Exp to Bismark. and have no Regret

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Gneisenau was specially crafted to be free-expd because 6 guns and Bismarck lel

But i'm having a blast driving her, never had issues hitting stuff because i am usually within stone throw away from the enemy when driving her, lolpenning sniping scrubs driving their Fusos & Kongos

Not to mention having the best AA for a BB tier for tier, surpassing even Colorado.. It can push over 400dps when fully upgraded to balance Saipans

435 posts
6,169 battles

But i'm having a blast driving her, never had issues hitting stuff because i am usually within stone throw away from the enemy when driving her, lolpenning sniping scrubs driving their Fusos & Kongos

Not to mention having the best AA for a BB tier for tier, surpassing even Colorado.. It can push over 400dps when fully upgraded to balance Saipans

I agree not pigs, Gneisenau and the Scharnhorst are great ships and should be play at full speed ahead, that is at full throttle but not over extending just using its manoeuvrability. You will get hammered if you try to captain her like a typical battleship, like slow moving tanking or reversing and (typically) it is useless trying to snipe from a great distance. Don’t think you’re going to survive every battle because you’re not, you’re going into battle at close range to do alot of damage and to take damage. I play her at middle to close range but keeping out of the way of those DDs and that's what makes the Gneisenau great - lots of close range action.

But in the end it comes down to playing styles and the Gneisenau is for captains who can change there battleship playing style from ship to ship.

Edited by Yul_Brynner

Beta Tester
908 posts

If you think the guns are bad on the Gneisenau, then you may hate the bismarck =D.

I found the guns more accurate on the Gneisenau. It is up there with the best BBs of Tier 7, it can tank damage.

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
402 posts
15,002 battles

The Bayern can take a punch but it sure didn't feel any more accurate than the Gneisenau. I can only assume you're trying to use it at range, because yeah, it sucks beyond about 13km's...

563 posts
4,686 battles

Drive it like a Scharnhorst, get in close to the enemy. The ship is very forgiving and has flexibility, something Nagato and Colorado doesn't have. When you're a bit overextending, you don't need to be afraid showing your side to turn back, and with that speed, you can flee. Nagato and Colorado? You choose the wrong flank to push, you die, you can't run, you show your side to turn? You get citadeled. Use gneis excellent flexibility to your advantage.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

At first im planning to sell the ship because all of my friend say it bad (same as Tashkent which i like) but after a while im feel that this ship is not that bad...

Yes dispersion kinda be **** to you but as long as you can keep firing and  moving closer you get the better chance of hitting someone + you have Torpedoes which make the gameplay of this ship differ from other Tier 7 with the gun that as good as Tier 8 (if you able to landed the hit lol).

I kinda feel that this ship is really interesting but you just have to deal with dispersion and get close (which i know that you rarely do since you play snipe BB style), so now i ended keeping both Gneisenau and Scharnhorst.

***Please note im noob BB dont trust me lol

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

I get 15 battles where the AP does 0-2k dmg per salvo and 0 citadels to every 1 game where suddenly I get 3 citadels in the single battle.

Don't even bother to fire the rear turret on it's own, if you are turning to run away, you won't hit anything, even at 5kms...

I wouldn't rush to Bismarck, because Gneisenau AA is rated much higher than Bismarck, yet even Ryujo's antique biplanes that fly slower than the ship sails will drop torps on her. 

To date, every single game in my Gneisenau that has an enemy CV, has dropped torps multiple times, and usually sinks it, same goes for DD and cruiser torps.

These factors make Scharnhorst 1000 times better than Gneisensau: more rounds fired per salvo, faster reload, faster turret turn, faster rudder shift, better turn ability. 

People will claim "you have to get close to enemy in german BB's". that's the same people who are torping them. Ignore it. Despite rebuilding my BB's around the secondaries as they were doing more damage than the AP at first, now the secondaries appear inferior. SIGHHHHHHHH. Not paying for yet another rebuild.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Personally, i thik that no matter how bad a ship is, player dont have the right to call them Schwein

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

People will claim "you have to get close to enemy in german BB's". that's the same people who are torping them.

Yes :trollface:

But playing German BB at range wont do any good for you anyways (how you going to hit things with 6 guns..), thats why opt for more aggressive style is a good option.

Is not like you have to yolo and torpedoes everyone and die... just do mid/close range gun fight around 8-10km where you can use german strong side armor is good enough 6km torpedoes also good at defense ur self form yolo BB/CA as well and at the same time you can yolo another BB by that :D:D:D

in total of 28 battles i have better stats in Gneisenau compare to Bismarck

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,052 battles

This is a ship that you Can't play like a conventional Battleship and if you try you will only cry. I initially had a lot of trouble with it until i started to close down the average range to the enemy, at which point i started to wreck ships consistently and honestly it's a bit of a tossup between which of the sister ships are better as they are both good.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

it's a bit of a tossup between which of the sister ships are better as they are both good.

Exactly !! even tho you get better maneuverability and flexible Scharnhorst but the ship it self really lacking the punch in fire power.

While Gneisenau get 380mm that have more penetration value and can deal higher damage if you able to land the shot.

That why im going to keep  Gneisenau.. it will a pain to grind new captain for it but whatever i think it worth the effort.

248 posts

sad to hear the Bismarck is the same!!,

but, it has two more guns, and it's a tier 8 ship, so i will have a friday night $$$game ship.

i think i'll deal with it. i also think it will be a bit tougher.

At tier 7 they really need to make something worthy now to replace my nagato. oh i loves her so....

and i'm glad i have a tier 6 [bayen] i actually find her much much tougher than the Gneis.

and she suits brawling. when you turn her nose in she can tank like a champ. i dispute the fact that you can tank in the Gneis.

435 posts
6,169 battles

Don't rush to the Bismarck, she is tier 8 and there is one big problem with that tier – tier 10’s, yes sir you will be in tier 10 games nearly all the time (because of low T10 players T8s will always be pull up to make up numbers). Master Gneisenau first before advancing, before going up against Yamato or even any tier IX battleships.

Edited by Yul_Brynner

507 posts
9,828 battles

well if u sit at long range and expect the guns to perform then...

Then again if u aim well, u should have decent dispersion. i found its guns to do best against cruisers, against BB i spam HE and switch to AP at close range. maybe im one of the few that loves this ship and im definitely keeping it...

And Bayern? i'd rather have the new mexico.

248 posts

tier 10 doesn't scare me,

i've had the yamato and got bored and sold it i'm such an old hand.

but i used to play in amagi and izumo too, i just want some armour if i'm going to be there. bismarck has it.

and you also get t6-8 games,

and if i'm meant to not shoot long range, and i'm meant to play as a cruiser then they need to

give me some decent torps, or some turning ability, or SOME DAMN ARMOUR.

like i said anyone who thinks they can brawl in this piece of crud is an idiot,

or they simply haven't played in the ship.

507 posts
9,828 battles

like i said anyone who thinks they can brawl in this piece of crud is an idiot,

or they simply haven't played in the ship.

Yep i'm an idiot.so is everyone who thinks gneisenau can brawl right? You ask for our opinion and when we present them u deny our said opinions and then go around calling us idiots.

Gneisenau is a bad ship and only buffing her will appeal to players like you correct?

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,052 battles

Well this is a screenshot of my best game in my Gneisenau where i did the vast majority of my damage at under 12km, with 3 torpedos into an Amagi at under 6km. This ship doesn't seem to suit you & that's fine but I am not an Idiot as I get my best damage games in the Gneisenau from up close and personal. If you don't like it feel free not to play it.

hmVmZCy.jpg

248 posts

YEH SORRY i didn't meant to infer you as a sideways slap,

i just hear talk of being a good tank for close contact, i've had a week which was frustrating at best,

but after what you said i just had a couple of games, and thought "what if he's right"

like am i just frustrated? here's what i felt

it's amazing at times. when the packets drop in close and you hit just below a front turret with AP,

you get that "oh yeh this is a nice ship" feeling. and like i said i double citted an iowa at about 20k's the other day and it was awesome.

And is the turning slow?? no it's not, i just feel now maybe it's very big for what it wants to be. it's a huge target,

for the amount of bite it has. the very polar nature of it's dispersion is it's worst flaw. i can't count on it when i need it,

this ship is 80% good IN EVERY WAY

It falls apart in a brawl, so you don't want people close. ESPECIALLY DD'S

so you play like a cruiser, which is the way i found it works best. 

But it's torps will let you down at that range. you can play further back, like a BB.

This ALMOST works. but they dispersion will then let you down.

It doesn't work in any of it's 3 possible roles,

by any better than 80%.

it needs to be 100% good in a role to face ships like nagato and atago, and fubuki

Sign in to follow this