Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kavatron

Naval Slang

14 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
48 posts
67 battles

Sailors talk weird don't they? If you've ever had to stand around a few and wondered what they heck they are talking about here is a very short list to help you out - I've picked a few that may relate to the game.

Pusser - A corruption of the word Purser/Paymaster. The Puss now being the Navy and Pussers being Naval Sailors.

Muppet - Most Useless Person Pussers Ever Trained. Think of it as a baddie.

CDF - Common Dog F***. (Common sense) Most muppets wont have CDF.

True Buzz/S*** Buzz - A rumour, sometimes true...usually not hence the true or s*** buzz. I expect a lot of s*** buzzes in the next few months.

Dig Out - Make an all out effort. Not expecting muppets with no CDF to do this either.

Pinged - To be spotted from a great distance...or picked to do a crappy job.

Swallow the Anchor - Normally means to leave the Navy for good but in WoWS terms could be used for rage quit.

Fish - A torpedo

Weigh Off - The awarding of a punishment. Possibly comes from the idea of scales of justice. How many forum goers will be weighed off by the mods?

*Note: These are Australian slang terms. Feel free to add your own or ask for more....or go jump in the oggin.

[1NATN]
Alpha Tester
22 posts
872 battles

Avast me hearties!   (hello my friends)

Alpha Tester
878 posts
151 battles

Sailors talk weird don't they? If you've ever had to stand around a few and wondered what they heck they are talking about here is a very short list to help you out - I've picked a few that may relate to the game.

Pusser - A corruption of the word Purser/Paymaster. The Puss now being the Navy and Pussers being Naval Sailors.

Muppet - Most Useless Person Pussers Ever Trained. Think of it as a baddie.

CDF - Common Dog F***. (Common sense) Most muppets wont have CDF.

True Buzz/S*** Buzz - A rumour, sometimes true...usually not hence the true or s*** buzz. I expect a lot of s*** buzzes in the next few months.

Dig Out - Make an all out effort. Not expecting muppets with no CDF to do this either.

Pinged - To be spotted from a great distance...or picked to do a crappy job.

Swallow the Anchor - Normally means to leave the Navy for good but in WoWS terms could be used for rage quit.

Fish - A torpedo

Weigh Off - The awarding of a punishment. Possibly comes from the idea of scales of justice. How many forum goers will be weighed off by the mods?

*Note: These are Australian slang terms. Feel free to add your own or ask for more....or go jump in the oggin.

I agree, very weird. I'd be lost trying to have a conversation with a sailor.

Alpha Tester
44 posts
695 battles

Being an ex pusser myself theres a LOT more I could add... :)

SCRAN=meal time/food, or as we called it s&*t cooked by RAN

Goffa-soft drink

On chooks-being under punishment

Trout-someone with a big mouth

OD-someone new to navy, a nOOb i suppose

Alpha Tester
12 posts
362 battles

Furphies - Is gossip or lies.

Pusser - is what us Pongo's called the navy because they needed alot of Oranges/Limes for health reasons back in the old, old prehistoric days... not to mention sores were really easy to fester up on board ship with cramped conditions etc.   (Besides the navy guys where festering sores to us PONGO's anyway...lols, jokes btw, jokes....Peace??? :great:)

Don - To put on.

KISS - Keep It Simply Stupid.

That's just the poor few I can remember from my military days atm.

[PBKAC]
Alpha Tester
207 posts
1,259 battles

Farter - best place in the world.

Critter fritter - not-sure-what that has been boiled in oil to the point where identification is impossible, thus earning the (inevitably Polish) Tukkafukka plausible deniability.

Swarfega - your best friend on a long churn.

Short stroke - nearly finished boss!

Flathead - big flat grey USN thing that demands right of way in the pushiest of tones, then waffles around forever making it look incredibly hard.  Does not care if you are a semisub with the windage of a ten-by-ten pack of Cape Class hulkers out of ballast.

Stick stick - a carefully traded USB drive.  A good one is worth more than a kilo of platinum on a long job.

Tube steak - usually a sign that the reefer is on the bones of its arse and the galley boss is in a particularly antisocial mood.  Worst thing you've ever eaten.  Best avoided.

Demurrage - only time crew will ever hear personally from the owner.  In no uncertain terms.

Flash up & burn - kick everything in the guts in a mass panic so as not to miss a slot.  Followed by demurrage.  'gineer's love this, as it gives them an excuse to shake their heads, whistle through pursed lips and mutter "She cannae take this sir!".

Demob - process by which the clients gear is carelessly disembarked & damaged as much as possible

Oceanographer - if female, will be a complete allycat, wear the shortest of shorts and cause absolute havok throughout lower decks.  Also see 'Fireship'.

Marine Biologist - if female, will be completely aloof and unobtainable, but once in port will make even the greatest excess's of a female Oceanographer pale in comparison.  

Head - place of comfort in a blow or when beset by the latest efforts from the galley.  Immediately clogged with the most unspeakable of things as soon as a female client rep looks at it, which will then take two very unwilling motormen a whole watch to de-clog, after which they will no longer respond enthusiastically to anything other than the prospect of crew change.

Clog - ships are holes in the water into which vast amounts of money must be tossed in order to keep them on the surface.  Suprisingly, ships run on plumbing more than anything else.  'Clog' is the worst word one can utter aboard and if spoken will immediately result in the absence of all aboard with de-clogging skills.

Singapore - the den of all that is wicked, impure and sinful, where the police will drive you back to your berth after an excellent night.  Most holy grail of destinations.

Company man - a grey looking spectre that haunts the ship from stem to stern, with hawk-like vision and the ears of a highly strung cat.  Has a tape recorder for a memory and runs on binary.  Best avoided.  May be solidly barreled into and injured on the pretext of a made up emergency somewhere so long as one yells 'Gangway!' at the last second.

Mudman - the lowest form of human life.  Shunned by even the galley monkeys.  Smells like armpit of Orc at the best of times.

Pump - a machine that almost never lives up to it's destiny when it is critical that it does.  Will otherwise run without a hitch for six months without so much as a spanner waved at it.

Bridge - no dirty shoes allowed.  The province of the OM and his acolytes, who have the god-given right to refuse entry to anyone they please.  The bonded store is usually somewhere close by - a highly secret room within which pleasures await for those on a demob cruise.

Helo - an ungainly machine piloted by a certified lunatic.  Abhorred by all.  Will attempt to tail-swing and remove the heads of the firewatch for no reason at all.

Edited by Tanzer

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Golden Rivet- not slang as such, but usually it's a quest given to ODs, they must find it somewhere onboard.The rewards are plentiful. :teethhappy: 

Edited by AntifoulAwl

Beta Tester
37 posts
17 battles

lets see

Piss Paddling  - to walk around with out shoes/footwear. More a reference to old days when ships of the line where not exactly clean and walking on bare feet was well you get the rest.

Pongo - Army - They march, fight, dig trenches, carry heavy things, sleep (and do a lot more) for days on end with out changing there uniforms. Now imagine you are picking up say 50 of said soldiers, put them in an enclosed area (ship).

Now imagine the smell, hence we called them pongos. (Old reference again, most soldiers are relatively clean these days)

Airy-Fairy - Air Force - no explanation necessary.

The Head - "got to use the head" go to the toilet.

SCRAN - S*** Cooks Royal Australia Navy or as someone above noted "S*** Cooked by RAN, this had a few meanings - Term used for food and also a derogatory insult to navy cooks. (I only knew one MUPPET (see below) to actually call a cook this to his face, he had the hardest most worse cooked food for the entire time at sea).

MUPPET - My PT's (Personal Trainer) favorite saying, for example "I have seen better push ups from 1 month old babies, they always give me the muppets. Most Useless P****s Pussers Ever Trained. basically a noob.

here a few from my navy days, to me it is normal conversation so it is hard to pick it out unless someone is asking me "what the hell did you just say?

Beta Tester
25 posts
828 battles

This is some excellent stuff :), alot of my family served with the Australian navy, so if i ever managed to meet them face to face i am sure they would have some stories to tell :)

I am also guessing alot of this stuff or words you wouldnt say to the person or type of people mentioned right to their face :) 

Sign in to follow this