You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
keskparane

Why aren't my manual drops working?

13 comments in this topic

2,222 posts
13,737 battles

I'm having a lot of trouble with manual torpedo drops. I line up the drop before the plane reaches the circle and press Alt+LMB but it ignores it and fires the auto spread. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Because you clicked auto drop and when you decided to do manual they have already locked in. If you do manual you have to manually line up the strike too, don't just be lazy and use auto to get ur planes into position

425 posts

Yeah the CV play can be tricky at first.

1. Be sure you are using the LEFT Alt button, the right doesn't really work.

2. When you have the white circle going from the first LMB then your planes already have orders.  If you are too slow in changing those orders, or they are too slow in getting those orders then they go for the auto that you already told them.

3. Practice in co-op first, for me, I kept my self in co-op through the entire plane and hull upgrade grind in Hosho before coming out in random to play.  You can learn alot in co-op and practice!  That's key, bots tend not to turn before you drop unlike players. Bots also don't strafe you, so there's that too.

Good luck.

2,222 posts
13,737 battles

Thanks for the replies.

@FenrirApalis Yeah, I was doing that. It worked for me originally.

@BunnyDragon 2/ The circle is always there is it not. Even if you are just flying to a point, as soon as you hold alt the circle appears. 3/ I did practice co-op. It was working for me in co-op. That's why this is driving me crazy. It work sometimes but not others, but I can't tell what I'm doing different between those occasions.

@Hero_of_Zero I discovered I couldn't set on screen edge. What about land? I had a look at replay but it doesn't show my setting the manual, so can't see what use it would be. However I have published my lame cv'ing here http://wowreplays.com/Replay/14830

2,222 posts
13,737 battles

P.S Same thing happens with strafe. Sometimes it's awesome. Sometimes they decide to stop and do a circle then strafe, and it's too late by then. An unsuccessful strafe can also be seen in the replay.

Edited by keskparane

359 posts
2,819 battles

I watched the replay. Yeah I don't see you setting manual. My guess is your new cone (Manual) have be significant difference than the old auto cone or the game won't register the order.

2,222 posts
13,737 battles

I watched the replay. Yeah I don't see you setting manual. My guess is your new cone (Manual) have be significant difference than the old auto cone or the game won't register the order.

They were very similar. I was using auto to show me where the cv would be, then using manual to drop close to that point. So the manual spread was always inside the auto spread, and about 1/3 the distance from the ship.

Beta Tester
359 posts
7,415 battles

P.S Same thing happens with strafe. Sometimes it's awesome. Sometimes they decide to stop and do a circle then strafe, and it's too late by then. An unsuccessful strafe can also be seen in the replay.

That's because the squadron has passed over the strafe circles boundary so when you select the strafe the planes have to circle around again to begin the strafe. If your squadrons getting that close to the circle you need to extend the strafe a little further ahead before left clicking. If you can give a little bit of lead before the squadron starts the strafe it's sometimes advantageous as you can cancel the strafe if it looks like they'll miss I'll generally do micro corrections just before the strafe is started.

2,222 posts
13,737 battles

That's because the squadron has passed over the strafe circles boundary so when you select the strafe the planes have to circle around again to begin the strafe. If your squadrons getting that close to the circle you need to extend the strafe a little further ahead before left clicking. If you can give a little bit of lead before the squadron starts the strafe it's sometimes advantageous as you can cancel the strafe if it looks like they'll miss I'll generally do micro corrections just before the strafe is started.

I guess it must be. But I am aware of the dynamic. I was certain I had set it ahead of where the circle was. That is why I can't understand it.

As it turns out I have learnt a few gems. Very happy cv capt atm :)

2,222 posts
13,737 battles

FWIW I think I may have worked out what was happening. I think I have been looking at the planes, which have been outside the circle, but I suspect the ground position indicator has been inside the circle. The ground position indicator and the target circle vary in relation to the planes depending on which direction you are travelling.