You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
OraPits

Atlanta not powerful ?

41 comments in this topic

220 posts
3,420 battles

After dieing I sat looking at the Atlanta battle a Battleship

I think it was 14 gun salvo ? of HE per time, I watched at least 6 of these salvos sent and hitting..

No Fires, No Damage..at all

It is true but is it accurate for this to happen, so many guns and such a lot of nothing. I have a replay but won't attach it as I was so bad.

Edited by OraPits

220 posts
3,420 battles

Yes I've seen a few youtubes on the Atlanta and just how good the we thing is and that's why I fell for it myself...

Don't feel I was attacking it it was an enquirey..people seem to get very sensitive thinking others are always attacking in these forums

Edited by OraPits

Super Tester
2,725 posts

The Atlanta's 127mm gun's fire chance is 5% & if your targeted battleship has the damange control moudule (-3% fire chance???) then.... good luck? I would recommend demolition expert.

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,182 battles

Yeah....it's such a terrible ship....

bwRBl5w.png UmGoANB.png

Although I disagree with the point the poster is making, your picture here is irrelevant.

This is not an average game with this ship.

Pick the crappiest ships in the game and I am sure someone will have a screen shot of a few fantastic games. But.. not the norm and not representative of the median performance of that ship.

Tee

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

Yes I've seen a few youtubes on the Atlanta and just how good the we thing is and that's why I fell for it myself...

Don't feel I was attacking it it was an enquirey..people seem to get very sensitive thinking others are always attacking in these forums

The issue is probably the way you phrased your inquiry. It makes it sound like the Atlanta is a bad ship. I quite like my Atlanta, and I think it has its strengths and weaknesses like any other ship. The problem is you can't drive it around like other cruisers (as has been stated in many other threads). You just need to play it more and learn the ship. There are plenty of videos out there that can give you tips on how to play but ultimately it comes down to you to learn how to use the ship.

Although I disagree with the point the poster is making, your picture here is irrelevant.

This is not an average game with this ship.

Pick the crappiest ships in the game and I am sure someone will have a screen shot of a few fantastic games. But.. not the norm and not representative of the median performance of that ship.

Tee

I agree it's not an average game with the ship, but it's an example of how she can be powerful. I never stated this was the average did i? So i'd say it's relevant but each to their own :)
Edited by ADM_dude

359 posts
2,819 battles

I agree it's not an average game with the ship, but it's an example of how she can be powerful. I never stated this was the average did i? So i'd say it's relevant but each to their own :)

We talking about effectiveness of a ship. What should be representing it, One specific game with one specific player? Or server average?

In which case, Atlanta has least average damage and least win rate in tier 7 cruisers...

I don't doubt some people like Eurobeat will beat me anyway in Atlanta. But if we compare Eurobeat's stat on Atlanta with Eurobeat's stat on..I don't know? Some OP ship out there. What will get the win stat?

Some case study. My DD highest damage usually a lot higher than my CL. But if we look at the average.. It's the other way around

Because while I had good game in dd and score 100,000 damage or something. The other times I batrely doing anything at all and it drag my average down. Would I chose dd for damage mission? No. Lack of consistency.

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

We talking about effectiveness of a ship. What should be representing it, One specific game with one specific player? Or server average?

In which case, Atlanta has least average damage and least win rate in tier 7 cruisers...

I don't doubt some people like Eurobeat will beat me anyway in Atlanta. But if we compare Eurobeat's stat on Atlanta with Eurobeat's stat on..I don't know? Some OP ship out there. What will get the win stat?

Some case study. My DD highest damage usually a lot higher than my CL. But if we look at the average.. It's the other way around

Because while I had good game in dd and score 100,000 damage or something. The other times I batrely doing anything at all and it drag my average down. Would I chose dd for damage mission? No. Lack of consistency.

Herein lie's the issue, what if the server average (aka the data) was skewed? Then you're using poor data to assess the effectiveness of the ship. The problem most identified with Atlanta's effectiveness is the person playing it rather than the ship itself. If it was the ship, don't you think they would give it a larger buff or something already?

I'm not trying to say the Atlanta is amazing, but I'm also not saying she's not effective. She is effective when her strengths are utilized and her weaknesses mitigated. Yes, she can't run into the middle of a battle easily and yes her armour is a weakness, but her maneuverability and RoF easily make up for that. So if people are driving a ship that doesn't have armour like a ship that does, wouldn't that suggest that any data coming out of that is flawed and will skew the overall data?

You can have bad games in OP ships too, so should I not keep on using it based on that and post about how terrible it is? No because all I would get is a torrent of 'git gud'

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,182 battles

The problem most identified with Atlanta's effectiveness is the person playing it rather than the ship itself.

Umm.. That's the same with every ship. I'm fairly certain that if a get a monkey to play the best and worse ship available, then get a MLG pro player to do the same, the results will show the player is a key aspect in determining the ships effectiveness.

There are certain ships that are EASIER to play than others. However, on average, if a ship performs WORSE than other ships of her tier (and this data consists of monkeys and MLG players) then the KEY aspect HAS to be the performance of the ship ingame.

Tee

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

mind this aspect too if you want to talk about average score of atlanta compared with other tier 7 cruiser.

Atlanta is a premium ship, a clueless player can buy her and sail and do little damage, low score and bad win rate ....while the other tier 7 ship must be obtained by playing trought hundreds of battle from tier 1 -tier 6 atleast (if you count on getting ARP myoko by doing mission that need tier 6 ship). so the player atleast have the knowledge aand experience in high tier match (you already face tier 7 when playing tier 5, so it is not a new thing)

so for premium ship, i prefer asking opinion of a good player who have played her, instead of seeing the average score :D

Edited by XP_On

359 posts
2,819 battles

what if the server average (aka the data) was skewed?

And why are you saying that? What make you believe entire server can be skewed but not one screenshot from your?

The idea behind using average is because it "even out". 10 guys? maybe we pick very good or very bad guy. 100,000 guys, likely not.

As the above person say. If 100,000 average guys waltz in and perform well in St Louise then she is good. If the same 100,000 walk in and getting rekted in Atlanta because she isn't as good.

Hey but they didn't play to the ship advantage!

I know I know. The problem is certain ship take less time and effort to master. There's smaller learning curve in these ship. People has to learn, to put and effort, in playing Atlanta. And there is no guarantee they will success. Will you recommend US BB or Gunboat DD to people just start playing the game? Or you say. Pick thee noob friendly CL!

Xp_on

Yeah Because new player pick Atlanta, not Tirpiz, Kutuzov. The latter two are played by the better player so they not in the bottom. Atago is..second worst...on the other hand.

Edited by Hero_of_Zero

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

Umm.. That's the same with every ship. I'm fairly certain that if a get a monkey to play the best and worse ship available, then get a MLG pro player to do the same, the results will show the player is a key aspect in determining the ships effectiveness.

There are certain ships that are EASIER to play than others. However, on average, if a ship performs WORSE than other ships of her tier (and this data consists of monkeys and MLG players) then the KEY aspect HAS to be the performance of the ship ingame.

Tee

Ok I concede the first line, my bad for saying the obvious there.

But if one ship (for example) has a difficulty rating of 8/10 and another ship has a difficulty rating of 3/10 and you want to compare the ships by statistics then you HAVE to normalise the data to remove the apparent difficulty rating of the ship. This will then generate a more accurate result of the ships performance, regardless of the players ability since it's apparent difficulty is removed. This would explain why the Atlanta hasn't received many significant buffs because I would imagine that WGs data suggests the ship isn't the performance of the ship.

This entire argument is entirely hypothetical really since we can't look at the raw data and we don't have specific information available to us.

I'm happy to leave it at that and we agree to disagree if you'd like? Alternatively I'm more than happy to continue to discuss too.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

we Are talking about Ship that hard to use but powerful

Is like Sniping German Officer head with Unscoped PTRD

don't compare the stats with the masses, it is useless

Edited by Harpoon01

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

what if the server average (aka the data) was skewed?

And why are you saying that? What make you believe entire server can be skewed but not one screenshot from your?

The idea behind using average is because it "even out". 10 guys? maybe we pick very good or very bad guy. 100,000 guys, likely not.

As the above person say. If 100,000 average guys waltz in and perform well in St Louise then she is good. If the same 100,000 walk in and getting rekted in Atlanta because she isn't as good.

Hey but they didn't play to the ship advantage!

I know I know. The problem is certain ship take less time and effort to master. There's smaller learning curve in these ship. People has to learn, to put and effort, in playing Atlanta. And there is no guarantee they will success. Will you recommend US BB or Gunboat DD to people just start playing the game? Or you say. Pick thee noob friendly CL!

For the first response, I'll refer you to XP_On's statement, the ship is readily available for anyone. No grinding the tiers, no experience in the higher tiers etc...

For the second, I would suggest based on my opinion of the ship. If it's the US BB or gunboat DD line then so be it. They're new, if they like it then they'll continue with it, if they don't like it they'll choose another line. I'm not expecting a new player to.walk into a tier 7 match straight away. If you grind the line then you'll get the experience through time.

This is why the data can be skewed, a brand new player can rock up into a tier 7/8 match through premiums. They have no idea what they're doing and every match counts towards the data.

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Xp_on

Yeah Because new player pick Atlanta, not Tirpiz, Kutuzov. The latter two are played by the better player so they not in the bottom. Atago is..second worst...on the other hand.

Joking: because people who pick German / Russia is a good player while the one who pick USA / Japan is not :P

Real: the armor on the other premium is kinda forgiving if a new player play it, but atlanta have an armor almost like  destroyer right?

dont forget that cleveland, pensicola and atlanta have riddiculus arc... not all new player can aim well and hit a moving target when the bullet stay in the air doing some 360 or Bigspin or Kickback triks...

Atlantas primary role us a DD hunter, and a cruiser annoyer, going in on a BB is gutsy, it is doable but not recommend.

on my 4th match using Murmansk, i manage to kill a full health Atlanta aand get 3x citadel  ... so yeah... a tier 7 can be killed by a tier 5

Edited by XP_On

266 posts
5,142 battles

Rather than a 'bad' ship, I'd say Atlanta is a 'situational' ship. It will only show its strength only when you manage to get in a situation where its weakness are covered, such as when you have island cover, managed to ambush at close range, or have a friendly DD lay a smoke cover for you. But it is very weak in pretty much other situations.

In my opinion, Atlanta is simply too situational to be competitive. It's true a good player can make the Atlanta a good ship, but that very same player will make a less situational ship, a monster.

359 posts
2,819 battles

For the first response, I'll refer you to XP_On's statement, the ship is readily available for anyone. No grinding the tiers, no experience in the higher tiers etc...

And I already answer to that statment. How about Tirpizt, which can also be get instantly. Why it does not suffer bad stat as Atlanta?

For the second, I would suggest based on my opinion of the ship. If it's the US BB or gunboat DD line then so be it. They're new, if they like it then they'll continue with it, if they don't like it they'll choose another line. I'm not expecting a new player to.walk into a tier 7 match straight away. If you grind the line then you'll get the experience through time.

I think you just answer my rhetorical question..

This is why the data can be skewed, a brand new player can rock up into a tier 7/8 match through premiums. They have no idea what they're doing and every match counts towards the data.

Real: the armor on the other premium is kinda forgiving if a new player play it, but atlanta have an armor almost like  destroyer right?

Did XP_On just point out..Atlanta's downside. Her armor? Isn't it the exact issue which tell how each ship is good or bad? And the problem lie in...the ship?

Since other premium seem to be performing ok. I guess the point about experience from tier by tier is..not as influential?

This would explain why the Atlanta hasn't received many significant buffs

Joking: As in US CV.

Edited by Hero_of_Zero

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Okay, so the Atlanta is still statistically bad up to this moment right now.. Bad and Unicum players driving it aside, that is still a fact, fine we get it..

Then what kind of buffs are you proposing to make it inline with other cruisers without changing its physical characteristics/role or making it even more exponentially overpowered against DDs?

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Their armour belt absorbs your HE... You are better off shooting AP at the superstructure. Atlanta should only get close to enemy DD and certain CA only... BB will just absorb damage 

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Okay, so the Atlanta is still statistically bad up to this moment right now.. Bad and Unicum players driving it aside, that is still a fact, fine we get it..

Then what kind of buffs are you proposing to make it inline with other cruisers without changing its physical characteristics/role or making it even more exponentially overpowered against DDs?

give her repair party  / smoke

359 posts
2,819 battles

I am not propose any buff. That's beyond my area.I don't have her and her peers. People can argue about nerf her AA  all they want because that's what my CV care. Joke. I think if her stat is sub par mean she is sub par. Not If one player can make her do great mean she is great. If you agree with it I don't have anything to say anymore.

Anyway. Just to clarify. I won't assuming you agree with me. You seem to say Atlanta excel at DD hunt. Fine. Have you met anything that isn't op in your hand yet?

OK this is preemptive. I don't say anyone gonna say this.

Maybe she's very good at hunting DD. Translate into low average damage. I can see that.

Still, she has bad winrate. And get into good position to hunt DD is hard, ability that one does not born with

Edited by Hero_of_Zero