You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Flemboy

Why does Gneisenau sport 6 380mm guns, when she had same as Scharnhorst?

17 comments in this topic

[AE]
199 posts
9,466 battles

Gneisenau started, and went to sea, with 9 x 11inch. She was later damaged, and a rebuild was supposed to give her 6 x 380mm. At the very least, given that no other tier 5+ BB, let alone a tier 7 one, has such a weak armament, why not allow the 6 x 380 as a "improvement" like the Mogamis choice? Gneisenau never fought with 6 x 380mm, and this should be changed, otherwise, people will view it as a bit of a dog, and quickly jump to Bismarck class.

Also, why is there no appearance in the Kreigsmarine lines of the "Pocket" Battleships "Graf Spee", "Deutschland" and "Admiral Scheer" etc? Given the couple of FAKE cruisers in the cruiser line (York, Roon and Hindenberg), why was this class, which saw service in WW2 left out? It would, with its 6 x 11 inch guns, sat nicely after the Konigsberg, instead of Nurnberg...

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles
I believe that the Graf Spee is being created as a Premium for a release date of "soon". As for the Gneisenau I believe she's got the armament that she was going to be upgraded to so I'm not sure why you'd thank people wouldn't like her. I can honestly say I'm working up the German line and I'm definitely keeping only 2 ships, the Gneisenau and the Bismark. From everything I've seen and heard, she's an absolute beast at tier 7.
Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan

199 posts
6,037 battles

Gneisenau started, and went to sea, with 9 x 11inch. She was later damaged, and a rebuild was supposed to give her 6 x 380mm. At the very least, given that no other tier 5+ BB, let alone a tier 7 one, has such a weak armament, why not allow the 6 x 380 as a "improvement" like the Mogamis choice? Gneisenau never fought with 6 x 380mm, and this should be changed, otherwise, people will view it as a bit of a dog, and quickly jump to Bismarck class.

Also, why is there no appearance in the Kreigsmarine lines of the "Pocket" Battleships "Graf Spee", "Deutschland" and "Admiral Scheer" etc? Given the couple of FAKE cruisers in the cruiser line (York, Roon and Hindenberg), why was this class, which saw service in WW2 left out? It would, with its 6 x 11 inch guns, sat nicely after the Konigsberg, instead of Nurnberg...

Here is the reason why there is no 280 mm for Gneisenau: http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/31444-some-interesting-info-from-ru/page__st__4500__pid__1156597#entry1156597

I personally believe their reason is BS. They just want to sold Scharnhost as unique premium ship, not the same ship on the tech tree.

Super Tester
802 posts

why not allow the 6 x 380 as a "improvement" like the Mogamis choice?

But.. it does? Unless you're arguing for the choice between 11" and 15" guns I can see your reasons. But more than likely this was a decision to make the Scharnhorst a more unique ship in appearance and in how it plays in game. That and HE spamming battleships from scrubs who don't know any better is the last thing this game needs at lower tiers.

Also, why is there no appearance in the Kreigsmarine lines of the "Pocket" Battleships "Graf Spee", "Deutschland" and "Admiral Scheer" etc? Given the couple of FAKE cruisers in the cruiser line (York, Roon and Hindenberg), why was this class, which saw service in WW2 left out? It would, with its 6 x 11 inch guns, sat nicely after the Konigsberg, instead of Nurnberg...

I have no doubt that the Deutshland class will be coming to the game in one form or another. However they do not fit anywhere in a regular tech tree and would most likely be included as a premium ship. As for the "fake" cruisers these IIRC are based on actual German designs the Yorck was a design known as Entwurf I (10) or based around existing turret or gun designs (Roon and Hindenberg) Again, this is the "what if" scenario assuming Germany wasn't crippled economically or did something silly like invade Russia.
Edited by Counterflak

507 posts
9,826 battles

Balance and Sales - if they both are the same then whats the point of the scharnhorst being premium.

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

It gets 380's instead so they can sell Scharnhorst, kappa.

But the again, Gneisenau is the top performing T7 BB in all servers despite having lower firepower than Nagato/Colorado, even higher than Scharnhorst itself

Its a good dog, and it deserves headpats..

What is this joke?

Alpha Tester
392 posts

I honestly can't blame anyone for asking about Gneisenau's appearance, but these threads won't stop until she gets her original configuration. Whenever a new player joins WoWS and gets excited at seeing Gneisenau but realizes her appearance is wong, they'll drop by the forums and either enquire about it or express their disappointment. If WG can't tolerate these threads, they should at least leave a notice next to Gneisenau's in-game description explaining their decision to prefer gameplay over historicity.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Because the 3 ships you menitoned, Graf Spee" "Deutschland" & "Admiral Scheer", has OP gun for cruiser to duke out with other nations' cruiser's gun caliber. If you ask me to replace the existing high tier German cruisers with the ships you mentioned, I would ask you "with this such proposal, how do you balance for other nations"?

Alpha Tester
392 posts

I'm afraid it's not that simple. Just because a ship has a history doesn't mean it will receive priority. WG only makes business decisions. For example, Italy was one of the three Axis powers, yet not one tank is represented in WoT because WG does not see any profit, preferring to work on Chinese, Czechoslovakian and Swedish tech trees instead.

Whatever ship gets them the most money they will add it (

). Is it surprising that they're making premiums out of iconic ships like, including but not limited to, the Arizona, Indianapolis, Scharnhorst and soon Belfast? So if your favourite ships aren't in any of the current tech trees, then it's likely they won't appear anytime soon, if ever. Check back once in a while, but don't count on it.
Edited by Nikolaevna

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

why would they sell Scharnhorst instead of her sister that supposed to get that configuration -_-?

It's a Panzersciff or Pocket Battleship or Armoured Ship (so, what shall we call it, a Cruiser or a battleship?)

or whatever, even british found it quite confusing

Edited by Harpoon01

[_BST_]
[_BST_]
246 posts
12,811 battles

Nurnberg should have the option to mount the 380s, too. For flexibility.

The Nurnberg should also have the option of an armoured hull too, for survival. :aqua:

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

I have beast games in gneisenau but mostly very poor performing AP ones. Yesterday I did manage over 100k dmg and 3 citadels, just after I had 12 battles with no citadels....

Also Gneisenau AA is rated much higher than Bismarck, yet a ryujo ain't scared of torping a gneisenau anyway.......:facepalm:

I'm in no rush to get Bismarck. Had one on my team in the 100k battle and it soaked up a load of cv torps.

If it wasn't him, it indeed would have been me. I did dodge 3 or 4 TB drops already.