You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
biq27

Question - is Scharnhorst Det chance bugged?

22 comments in this topic

112 posts
5,463 battles

As title says...

I have been detonated twice in scharn in 18 games now. I am even using the module which reduces chance of det by 70%...

Aside from the fact this stupid mechanic shouldn't even be in the game, does anybody know whether there is a bug? Or is it just bad RNG? 

1,479 posts

Well....

it IS 70 % , not 100%....

& Cordite is highly explosive......

Maybe your gun crew was doing the same thing as the british were in the battle of jutland??  :trollface:

Ordrazz

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

As title says...

I have been detonated twice in scharn in 18 games now. I am even using the module which reduces chance of det by 70%...

Aside from the fact this stupid mechanic shouldn't even be in the game, does anybody know whether there is a bug? Or is it just bad RNG? 

Please explain why this mechanic is stupid, and why it should not be in game

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Had ~100 games in my Schanhorst and not a single detonation, so its probably your lucky day..

But i do recall some ships have a higher chance of being detonated if a torpedo hit a certain spot..

112 posts
5,463 battles

Please explain why this mechanic is stupid, and why it should not be in game

Sort of a situation of 'if you have to ask the question you won't get the answer'... But...

There is no skill involved in either getting a det or dodging a det. It is completely random, this makes it un-fun and uninteresting. You are tootling along happy as larry and then all of a sudden you are dead.

'oh just get another ship and play another game'. Yeah OK, cheers for the hot tip. Doesn't negate main point

'oh but it's realistic'. No it isn't, also there is so much in this game that is not realistic that allows it to be fun.

'but it only happens in 1% of battles'... uwotm8? Don't put it in then?

'you can put flags to stop it'... so it is acknowledged it's dumb, but hey - here is a signal that means you can stop it!

Anyway some people 'get' why dets are stupid, some people don't, that's fine. This post wasn't about that. I am genuinely interested to know whether there is a bug issue because it has happened to me twice now in 18 games. It is a new ships just released. I have noticed it happen in games to other people as well more than other classes of ships

112 posts
5,463 battles

Had ~100 games in my Schanhorst and not a single detonation, so its probably your lucky day..

But i do recall some ships have a higher chance of being detonated if a torpedo hit a certain spot..

Yeah it seems to be when hit in a certain spot... I guess Scharn is in that category of 'some ships', alas.

I guess you would know, having a fair bit more experience in the ship than me. If you haven't noticed it then it is possibly just unlucky RNG for me and not a bug. Thanks for not giving a 'This guy is questioning detonations! I'll rush to the defence of detonations' answer.

112 posts
5,463 battles

Maybe Scharnhorst crews kept too much cigarette which they raided from.merchant ship that they store some in their turrets?

As a reformed smoker I completely understand them doing this. If this is the answer then many points for effort for my crew.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

did you get hit by a torpedo near your guns? because that how mostly you will get detonated on battleship. i never experience my battleship got detonated by shell.

191 posts
10,622 battles

I had once my Tirpitz got detonated because got hit by a torpedo just below the first main turret, kaboom! I still giggled when recalled my feeling that time :P "what the he'll??"

In my case my Tirpitz detonated from a plunging fire by a Fuso...

160 posts
5,905 battles

Can I ask by how? I never get detonated in a BB via Shelling so far, although I recalled getting detonated by torps hitting near/under my main battery in BBs. If it's torps, maybe it have something to do with KM BB and their torps protection stats.

Till now, almost 50 games in my Scharnhorst still no sign of detonation.  The modules reduced the chances but the chances isn't zero, I think it's your lucky day.

1,479 posts

Note for next battle...

Make sure ALL cordite is in flash proof lockers behind flash proof doors,   & not piled up next to the guns for quick use, as it can lead to detonation of the magazines....

A man once said this " theres something wrong with our bloody ships today"...

Another man said this " a poor workman always blames his tools"

Lesson learned  (by hard unforgiving experience) :medal:

Lol

Ordrazz

112 posts
5,463 battles

Cheers for the reply mate, appreciate it. I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. As I said, my main point wasn't directed on the theme of detonations in general. 

My only point would be... If dets are supposed to mimic a shell hitting a magazine then make a det only happen when the magazine is hit. Not from a single HE shell hitting the bow of a ship, as happened on my 2nd scharn det (eg). 

Cheers

112 posts
5,463 battles

Note for next battle...

Make sure ALL cordite is in flash proof lockers behind flash proof doors,   & not piled up next to the guns for quick use, as it can lead to detonation of the magazines....

A man once said this " theres something wrong with our bloody ships today"...

Another man said this " a poor workman always blames his tools"

Lesson learned  (by hard unforgiving experience) :medal:

Lol

Ordrazz

Done - I have issued new standing orders to my crew. We'll see how it goes when I'm on next ;)

205 posts
5,305 battles

'oh but it's realistic'. No it isn't, also there is so much in this game that is not realistic that allows it to be fun.

Real ships did (and still do) get detonated, Hood being one example. A hot live shell getting into a magazine is going to to make the ship go boom.

The Hood and the RN battlecruisers that went "Boom!" at Jutland are the most famous examples. But, I cannot recall any other gunboat having their magazines detonated by gunfire shells, bombs, or torpedos, despite the many naval battles in WW2. Even the outgunned and outnumbered DDs and DEs at Leyte Gulf did not go "Boom!" despite the number of hits they took. Nor the many skirmishes at Guadalcanal. 

Yamato went "Boom!" at the end, but most probably to fires spreading to her magazines. Don't think her magazines detonated due to a hit from a bomb or torpedo.

But, this is an arcade game, so sometimes a particular game mechanic can be quite frustrating. I also like to know how does a signal flag prevent 100% a detonation from happening. Makes no sense, but it is an arcade game. I personally feel they should take detonations away, although the chances of it happening are small. RNG already plays such a huge role in this game, let's not add to it with a completely dice roll of a game mechanic. But, that's me.  :trollface:

Edited by Bunda369