You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
amade

ATTN: Win 10 users - Potential Black Screen Issue

16 comments in this topic

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Ahoy Captains!

After the most recent Windows 10 updates, players who have their client set to Full Screen may experience a black screen when attempting to log-in, and then the client stops responding.

The developers are currently working with Microsoft to resolve this issue.

If anyone is experiencing this issue, players can choose to set WoWS to "Windowed" or "Full-Screen Windowed" in their settings, or can choose to hold off on updating their Win 10 system.

Here are a couple methods you can use to set your client settings:

Solution 1:

• Open the game folder (e.g. C:\Games\World_of_Warships).

• Find 'Preferences.xml' file and open it with Notepad, Notepad++ or similar text editing software.
  • Find  <windowMode> line
  • Change this parameter to  <windowMode>0<windowMode> , to activate the 'Windowed' mode or to <windowMode>2<windowMode> to activate 'Full-Screen windowed mode'
  • Close the file saving all the changes.

Solution 2:

• Delete 'preferences.xml' file.

WARNING! This will reset ALL of your settings to default (which includes 'Windowed' mode).

Update 7/9:

Attention!

As of yesterday the devs have successfully fixed an issue with Black Screens on Windows 10 computers.

Unfortunately, it’s too late to include this fix in 0.5.11 that will be released soon, however they are aiming to include it next week with 0.5.11.1.

Edited by amade

590 posts
2,995 battles

Hi Amade, 

I'm on the latest Windows 10 Release, this has not occurred for me. I'm curious as to if having an AMD or Nvidia card is the factor here. 

181 posts
4,257 battles

So can the devs fix this or shall we look forward to new driver releases from nvidia/amd or hot fixes from microsoft.

Also if I reinstall the game will it help?

Edited by Aniket_Sengupta

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

So can the devs fix this or shall we look forward to new driver releases from nvidia/amd or hot fixes from microsoft.

The developers are currently working with Microsoft to resolve this issue.

Alpha Tester
184 posts
2,083 battles

Update graphics card drivers and check DirectX. Re install should upgrade the DirectX automatically.

Beta Tester
4 posts
1,365 battles

I've had the same problem ( black screen after exit). I disabled the windows defender for the time I play WoW or install Aslain mods. No more problems. Defender is the bad guy. Try it and please let me know if it does not work for you.

181 posts
4,257 battles

I've had the same problem ( black screen after exit). I disabled the windows defender for the time I play WoW or install Aslain mods. No more problems. Defender is the bad guy. Try it and please let me know if it does not work for you.

Hey ! Thanks a lot. After reading this I just added the installation folder to exceptions of Windows Defender and the black screen on exit issue is eliminated. I don't even have to disable the Defender. Can't believe the fix was so simple. :facepalm::D
Edited by Aniket_Sengupta

181 posts
4,257 battles

I guess The Defender recognizes the game as a PUP and as it gets more priority in the anniversary update, we encounter such bizarre problems. Microsoft must do their necessary corrections. After all we should be fine even without disabling Defender and or adding the game to exclusion list.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Attention!

As of yesterday the devs have successfully fixed an issue with Black Screens on Windows 10 computers.

Unfortunately, it’s too late to include this fix in 0.5.11 that will be released soon, however they are aiming to include it next week with 0.5.11.1.

WG Staff
461 posts
525 battles

On behalf of our Developer Team and us in Wargaming, we are pleased to give you these announcements!!!

We are very grateful for everyone's help in getting a potential fix for this issue as soon as we possibly can. So far it looks like our patch fix for the WIN10 Black Screen issue is working, but we'd like to run several more tests before releasing this to the public to ensure 100% working order.

We will release this fix as soon as we're sure that it's good to go, most likely in one of the nearest patches after 0.5.11 releases.

Thank you for your time and attention!!!:look: