You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

Tactics to counter German battleships

24 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Hi all, so whilst everyone is having a great time in their German BB. I want to ask the community on anti German BBs tactics. Their weakness is rather few from what I've seen so far. They are pretty much immune to citadel damage, their guns are hard hitting and they are quite fast. These facts make German battleships performing really well from what I've seen. However being in a US battleships in CQC is really frustrating, especially against a German battleship. I cannot citadel the German BB, German BB have torps. German BB generally have more HP than me... So can the community help me to counter these German BB by suggesting tactics ?

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Eh, they're not hard to kill. Hard to delete, sure, hard to kill, not really.

For cruisers, BBQ their decks at range, or switch to AP once they're under 12km or so, go for superstructure/gun decks.

For battleships with gun sizes 14" and below, hit the t3-t6 german BBs on the gun decks or superstructure with AP if you can't pen the belt. 15" and above, go for the usual citadels. For Scharnhorst and above, you can't citadel them at close range due to the turtleback, so pepper them with AP at long range in hopes of a lucky citadel, and as the range closes, turn away from them, try to keep them at around 11km (closest you should let them come from t8 and above it 7km), then send AP into their belts or gundecks for massive damage.

In a destroyer, just torp 'em or pelt them with HE from range, don't get with 7km or the secondaries will start blasting away.

USN battleships are a nightmare for the german BBs to engage because t3-t5 have smaller guns and will struggle to citadel the USN dreadnoughts, New Mex can pretty much outdamage Bayern into oblivion if it's smart enough to keep away from the secondaries, Colorado's armour + 16" can wipe the floor with regular pens, and NC and above can kite the KM BBs to oblivion. Don't fight a German battleship in CQC unless you want to be on fire from bow to stern (or in the case of Scharnhorst, Gneisenau and Tirpitz, eat torpedo).

Edited by Syanda

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

For my Des Moines I just spam AP on them. Reliably penetrate even bow on, even at max range. I can even pen bow on Yamato from 15km and get 2.5k damage average per salvo or higher

783 posts
4,824 battles

Peppering their extremities with AP work since they do seem to take a lot more normal pen damage there compared to USN/IJN.

Their side/citadel armor may be very thick, but the other parts of the ship are vulnerable enough that one should not have too much difficulty in killing them even though outright deleting them isn't an option.

Their worst enemy are torpedoes anyway, since they have a worse torpedo defense system than the other two BB lines.

266 posts
5,142 battles

Stay at medium-long range as much as possible. As some stated, they are also weak to HE and plunging fire so use that to your advantage.

If you absolutely have to CQC with them, don't aim at the waterline with AP. Instead, aim slightly higher, at the line which borders the hull and the superstructure/secondary guns. You can't get citadels, but you will get massive normal penetration damage that way.

450 posts
7,896 battles

How about using a KM BB to encounter KM BB? 

Well, no one can kill each other but you can call in help from teammates...if they don't leave you at the front line ...and burn...and die...I couldn't stop my tears...

158 posts
3,374 battles

Hi all, so whilst everyone is having a great time in their German BB. I want to ask the community on anti German BBs tactics. Their weakness is rather few from what I've seen so far. They are pretty much immune to citadel damage, their guns are hard hitting and they are quite fast. These facts make German battleships performing really well from what I've seen. However being in a US battleships in CQC is really frustrating, especially against a German battleship. I cannot citadel the German BB, German BB have torps. German BB generally have more HP than me... So can the community help me to counter these German BB by suggesting tactics ?

Yeah, they are pretty tough little buggers. Please expose some weaknesses!

683 posts
7,358 battles

A KM BB driver lurking in this post :P

KM BB might be like a porcupine; at lot of guns, secondaries I mean , at close range, but at long range can't perform reliably. Can you imagine tier 10 BB with main gun range of 20km? Not to say their usual bad main gun dispersion... :(

575 posts
5,354 battles

A KM BB driver lurking in this post :P

KM BB might be like a porcupine; at lot of guns, secondaries I mean , at close range, but at long range can't perform reliably. Can you imagine tier 10 BB with main gun range of 20km? Not to say their usual bad main gun dispersion... :(

You might want to watch Aerroon's latest video on how he retracts his opinion on the German t10 BB.

208 posts
8,201 battles

Stay at medium range, you dont need cit pen them because reguler penetration still hurt them really bad....

Last time my North Carolina penned their deck with 17k damage... 

158 posts
3,374 battles

Stay at medium-long range as much as possible. As some stated, they are also weak to HE and plunging fire so use that to your advantage.

If you absolutely have to CQC with them, don't aim at the waterline with AP. Instead, aim slightly higher, at the line which borders the hull and the superstructure/secondary guns. You can't get citadels, but you will get massive normal penetration damage that way.

Yes.. CQC'd with one in a Warspite. Was 5km away and couldn't punch through. Wouldn't have made much difference even if I had being the last on my team taking fire from 3 sides.

683 posts
7,358 battles

You might want to watch Aerroon's latest video on how he retracts his opinion on the German t10 BB.

Mind sharing the link? :) thanks... 

Saw one, but was quite bad comment, that was when before they buff the HP though

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

I'm not one to promote passive play, but long-range plunging fire works wonders.

Their armor is hard to penetrate at the midship and their gun turrets are made of kruppstahl.

Aim for the bow/stern if you're firing at close range with AP. Else, HE- Better to do guaranteed damage than guess when your reload is 30s+ as a BB.

575 posts
5,354 battles

Mind sharing the link? :) thanks... 

Saw one, but was quite bad comment, that was when before they buff the HP though

Sure here it is:

And to show that this wasn't a fluke of a match:

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

Anti german tactics?

sure!

Torpedo wall and Air Superiority

Unfortunately this! My biggest problem so far is that all the good CV players are out,and even though I am fairly good at dodging  torps these guys really know what they are doing.

DD don't seem to be as much of a problem,with fast firing main guns if they get spotted they don't last long or run.

507 posts
9,828 battles

From 0:00 to 1:43.

Thats mighty impressive. there are times when u need to or are that close to the German BB's. at lower tiers its alright..(tried with a new mex)  T9 and 10 is what bothers me..

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

"German BB line looks bad" - Pre-release

"German BB line looks good" - Release

This is why I don't join the hype train. Especially from video contributors.

---

If all else fails, ram. Although with HE-only secondaries, you'll probably die in a fire if you're already wounded.