You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FLAKP4NZER

started playing soviet DD's how to play it properly?

14 comments in this topic

15 posts
3,651 battles

tried this branch because its so great, it feels very very different right after I paused playing the Japanese DD Minekaze. but somehow my gameplay seems too suck in the soviet DD line because of these reasons:

-low damage for cannons

-terribly short range for torpedoes

so I tried the first approach, which is to go inside and duel out against enemy destroyers, but it doesnt fit very well to me since if I managed to kill one sometimes, I also ending up getting killed too, just in the early phase of the game, specially when im against enemy US DD's and also Soviet DD's with my modules always getting damaged.

so I tried the second approach which is I use until today, which is playing it like a cruiser, providing fire support to others infront with my guns, its very good against enemy DD's but my low dps seems too inadequate against cruisers and worst, battleships. and in order to deal good damage I need to get close, which in turn killing me with a proper hit.

is this soviet DD tree is really destined to die early-mid game? or is there other proper ways to play it? thanks in advance =)

173 posts
5,332 battles

Soviet DDs are DOT kings. Set fires. Fire AP at broadside ships. But you need to have good situation awareness and good in WASD in order to avoid taking unnecessary damage.

Edited by KirstieBeau

451 posts
6,946 battles

uhm another thing, does taking Adv. and Basic Firing Training applies to the soviet main guns?

both are core skills for RU DD.

563 posts
4,686 battles

Don't cap early in game, you can't run away. You keep distance if dueling other dd. Also use AP at broadside cruiser. You citadel them. Set fires and enjoy.

You can still contesting cap from t2-t6 but starting from t7 you can't. You don't have the concealment to run away

173 posts
5,332 battles

I don't have russian DDs, I'm a USN DD captain but Russian DDs up to Tier 6, you play more like a USN DD. Contest caps, just be careful when facing us USN as our turrets turn faster but RU DDs have guns that hit harder. Tier 7 and up starting with Kiev and you play like what iChase tell you at the video. You play long-range gunboat.  Burn BBs and be an annoyance to everybody. Engine boost is your most valuable consumable aside from smoke. Russian DDs get stronger late in the game so try to survive as long as you can. I find RU DDs excellent in defending caps. :)

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Okay.

Russian DDs are played like light cruisers with no citadels and remarkably fast speeds.

Your turning radius is a joke, your torpedoes are better off used in self-defense and you are a significantly-larger DD when compared to every other nation.

You make up for it by skirting around at medium range while firing your guns. You go too far, your shells will hit less. You go too close, enemy fire gets more accurate and given how large of a target you are, you'll be destroyed in no time. Its speed is very ideal for kiting tactics while allowing you to chase wounded ships. Because they are the fastest ships in the game, they can set battles in their own pace.

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles

Every gun cool down not fired is a wasted one. Forget your torpedoes. BFT+LS+Vigil+AFT+DE+SE = 18 points. taking EM will be tempting on Gnevny, because of battleship level turret rotation, but after that they are smooth. USSR DDs brawl outside of 10Km vs USN/Polish/USSR DD, for IJN just get on them, those are crap DDs.

[NYANG]
454 posts
5,926 battles

First , soviet DDs have to fight longer distance than other dds, and try to burn your opponent's ships by your overwhelming guns.

Also if CA shows you a perfect broadside

in close range, use AP and melt her down with citadel hits.

Second never try to use your 4km torps

unless someone trys to flank you in 4km range.

Lastly, support your teammates by distracting your opponents, and use your fast speed to avoid their shells.

It will help you to win the game.

I think you would enjoy it when your' used to this ship. :)

15 posts
3,651 battles

hmmmm nice tips---does anyone could lay here whats the good skills a soviet commander had? like Adv. and Basic firing?

173 posts
5,332 battles

hmmmm nice tips---does anyone could lay here whats the good skills a soviet commander had? like Adv. and Basic firing?

Look back on icy phoenix's post. I will rephrase it: Basic Firing, Last Stand, Vigilance (you may also consider Superintendent), your choice between Demolition Expert or Advance Firing (better take both) and lastly Survival Expert.

I hope I see you on your Russian DD soon at the cap circle. :)

15 posts
3,651 battles

im in Gnevny now. and its kinda rewarding to see my gameplay radically increased from being a up-gunned destroyer to a legit cruiser, just two guns is enough to burn a battleship and kill a competitor destroyer (somehow I could also out-damage a Nicholas DD) so yeah. thanks for the tips guys! 

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,858 battles

Soviet DD has multiple different general playstyle because the some of them work differently. 

The first 3 tier can work as weaker early USN DD who yolo torped and guns blazing. Gnevny probably the only ship in the line where it can somewhat contest a cap, mostly played as Cruiser killer because at that tier, Cruisers can't keep up with you, it's like almost 2 tier jump from Izyaslav. 

Ognevoi can contest cap too but you need allies to support you, as your main selling point is your HP and that's it, so you are going there to tank some damage and ganging up against other DD l. Starting from this tier, you can try long ranged shelling approach, that all other Russian Destroyers after her, played.

General build would be BFT LS SI AFT DE (skipping CE) but depending on which ship you gonna stop at, they can have different build. 

Edited by Vio_Strygun