Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Loshirai14

German BB Immune to Citadel Hits?

67 comments in this topic

345 posts
3,649 battles

I was playing with my fuso today and i have been shooting at a lot of german bbs. My recent game, i was 3 km from a scharnhost's broadside, shot about 3 salvos yet i cant even score a citadel hit. I was shooting at the boiler and the magazine below the turrets. The other game i was shooting at a Bayern's broadside at around 8-12 km away, after 4 salvos, zero citadel hits even though it actually hits all over their broadside. Can somebody explain to me where to shoot? the only time i managed to get a citadel hit was on a konig. 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Their Citadel AFAIK is like Tirpitz

Below the waterline (red part)

So you must aim it or use plunging fire

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

most of them have turtle back armor, so unless they show their pantsu (water line), you wont be able to "penetrate" their citadel at close range. you will how ever via long range with plunging fire.

1,486 posts

Greetings

I must say that I too am having trouble hitting citadels on the new german battleships,  the only ship I seem to hit citadels atm is the Nassau, but I find it most hard to hit any on Kaiser or Konig...

Also for some reason, the most common highest damage that I get when I hit these ships from long range is about 2775 hit points.

Unless it's me of course, playing with tired eyes, or not judging the new ships properly, or RNG, etc....

Or maybe just having a rotten to average day at it lol

Has anyone made any vids or pictures highlighting the citadel regions on the german battleships yet?

Back to blasting.

Ordrazz

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

I hit Citadel on Gneusau from Amagi

Their bow is weaker then their side at close range.

Slightly angled, then all shot will bounce.

Edited by humusz

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

what do you expect? they are German.

What I expect from Germany:

- Overly complicated designs that malfunction until someone else fixes them

- 20 pages of paper work to order a box of ammunition

- Starting out well but then failing to grasp the idea of maintaining a properly modernised military

- No desire to put in effort unless there's a decent gain

[BRU]
309 posts
11,163 battles

I've been shooting German BB's all day and I rarely land a citadel hit on them. I got annoyed a bit that I've switched to HE to burn these turtles to death.

450 posts
7,896 battles

the armor is so damn real. shots are easier to bounce away than other BB. 350mm armor isnt a joke. Also, at T4, the Kaiser has a speed of 24 knots, which is the same of Fuso.

A impenetrable metal great wall on the sea. 

The highest damage i can get is hitting the upper armor belt at the A turret. It gave me somewhere around 11000 damage. 

783 posts
4,810 battles

Yeah... they are really hard to citadel in mid-range.

When they're angled, I've had better luck when targeting the extremities rather than the central side armor. Bow, aft, deck, superstructure are fair game.

Cits are still pretty rare even with full broadside starting from Konig but other than that, they're still pretty vulnerable at least.

265 posts
799 battles

most of them have turtle back armor, so unless they show their pantsu (water line), you wont be able to "penetrate" their citadel at close range. you will how ever via long range with plunging fire.

Lemme guess, they have this kind of layout?

o0pe8g.png

Edit: the red part is the armor enclosing the citadel below

Edited by adnadi

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Bismarck and Tirpitz have the turtlebacks, yes - which means they're near-impossible to citadel at sub-10km range unless they turn and expose their lower bits.

Kaiser, Konig and Bayern have really heavy armour belts and casemates - IIRC, they're pretty hard to citadel with 14" guns (that Kongou, Fusou, New York/Texas and New Mexico) are armed with. I just had a game with my Kaiser where I tanked something like 1.3 million potential damage, thanks to angling.

Edited by Syanda

Alpha Tester
38 posts

The Scharnhorst(and most German BBs in general), do feature heavily sloped hulls, which helps in glancing shells at close range. You're better off engaging German BBs at range, where their armour profile are much less likely to help them.

Do keep in mind, that German BBs are dedicated close-ranged brawlers(with aforementioned armour layout and their godly secondaries), so other nations' BBs are better off keeping them at an arm's reach.

1,125 posts

I swear that I never able to citadel tirpits before. (I'm IJN liner)

and now more and more German BB are have very enclose citadel like that...

should I use HE and aim at their superstructure? even I'm in BB

345 posts
3,649 battles

In my recent game, I shot a Scharnhorst somewhere below the front turret area and was able to deal 20k damage but no citadel hits with my Nagato. 

Edited by Loshirai14

575 posts
5,354 battles

I wound't say they are well designed. Especially WWII KM ships are just....bad

Based on what? The vaunted British BBs of the time? The very same ones that died to multiple torpedo hits and bomb hits because they were too slow to change post codes? Can't compare the Bismarck to the newer US BBs because they were built with newer technology and better designs; however, that doesn't mean the German BBs were inferior designs by any stretch of the imagination. If you are going to make such a statement you better back it up with verifiable non-subjective evidence to support your supposition. Otherwise it is nothing more than you're opinion.

634 posts
6,210 battles

Based on what? The vaunted British BBs of the time? The very same ones that died to multiple torpedo hits and bomb hits because they were too slow to change post codes? Can't compare the Bismarck to the newer US BBs because they were built with newer technology and better designs; however, that doesn't mean the German BBs were inferior designs by any stretch of the imagination. If you are going to make such a statement you better back it up with verifiable non-subjective evidence to support your supposition. Otherwise it is nothing more than you're opinion.

:amazed:Bro u sure u are not trolling? German capital ships of  WWII are the worst of them all. 

Those british ships you spoken about are WWI old crap. 

First of all, German ships still used total protection scheme rather than 'All or nothing', ships such as the Bismarck class and the Admiral hipper class are all a waste of displacement.

Secondly, AA, Bismarck cant even shoot down swordfish-a goddamn bi plane. The 37mm AA used was hand feeded. even the IJN's 25mm used a clip, not to mention the 20mm and 40mm bofors which was automatic. 

Real problem still lies in german BB's protection 

For example:

below is an image of Scharnhorst's armour cross section

you can see, this ship doesn't even have an upper armour, allowing shell to penetrate the ship without needing to penetrate the main armour belt

x4KEaEL.jpg

634 posts
6,210 battles

:amazed:Bro u sure u are not trolling? German capital ships of  WWII are the worst of them all. 

Those british ships you spoken about are WWI old crap. 

First of all, German ships still used total protection scheme rather than 'All or nothing', ships such as the Bismarck class and the Admiral hipper class are all a waste of displacement.

Secondly, AA, Bismarck cant even shoot down swordfish-a goddamn bi plane. The 37mm AA used was hand feeded. even the IJN's 25mm used a clip, not to mention the 20mm and 40mm bofors which was automatic. 

Real problem still lies in german BB's protection 

For example:

below is an image of Scharnhorst's armour cross section

you can see, this ship doesn't even have an upper armour, allowing shell to penetrate the ship without needing to penetrate the main armour belt

x4KEaEL.jpg

Bismarck class solved this problem of no upper armour, by extending the main armour belt

However, this solved the problem of horizontal protection, but vertical protection (against plunging fire or bomber plane) was weakened.

another problem of the Bismarck class was the turret

380mmp.gif

see the 130mm and 180mm in the upper part?

The turret are prone to plunging fire again.

Same design flaw happened in WWI, in jutland some German BCs turret was disabled becuase of this problem

Edited by Lordofcaptain

634 posts
6,210 battles

Just so you know, I do like German BBs, both in WoWs and in Kancolle

However, liking something doesnt mean the thing that you likes is the best

CqlmnPc.png

Sign in to follow this