BunnyDragon

Begininers' Guide To BattleShips Part 1

7 comments in this topic

423 posts

Hello Everyone,

I thought that since we've got German Battleships coming, that I would start a help for new BB players. 

First, let's start with the different kinds of ships and what they do.

CV- These are your Carriers, they bring airplanes to the battle and can hit anyone anywhere on the map or if they can't (high AA level or quick turning DD Captains) they scout faster than anyone else on the team.

DD- These are your Destroyers, they are your scouts first and ninjas second.  A destroyer destroys things and in WOWS the best DD captains destroy enemy opportunity to move around unseen.  You can slow or prevent enemy movement in an area with just your presence and dectected icon showing up on the enemy screen.

CL/CA - These are 2 types lumped together.  Light Crusiers and Heavy Crusiers.  They are different from each other by the size of their guns.  6in is a light crusier and 8in is a heavy crusier.  They both do the same job of being the jack of all trades (able to do any job, but not the best), and CV and Destroyer hunters.  They mess up CV attacks and together can hunt any other ship.  They also excell in shooting DDs in WOWS. 

Finally BBs- These are your Battleships.  They have one job and one job only, Battle other Ships!  But what about Battle Crusiers (BC) you say?  Well, they battle other crusiers!  Let me break this up, there are 2 kinds of BC, the British model and the German Model.  The British model has Battleship guns (they can hurt anyother ship they can see) but they have crusier armor and speed.  Think the new Dunkerque or Stock Kongo with the engine upgrade. The other is the German model with really big crusier guns (smaller than the battleship guns, but bigger than the crusier guns) and Battleship armor and close to crusier speed.  They can hurt any crusier and BBs when broadside, but can tank damange like a BB unlike the British model.

Glade that's out of the way. Now we can go back to BBs.  Your job is to battle other ships.  Don't camp.  Most Battleships are not snipers.  They may have the range to be snipers, but suck at hitting at long range, your range is for Hail Mary plays that may, with RNG pay off.  What you need to do, is to get to your sweet spot.  The range for your specific Battleships guns that you can hit things on a regular basis, and hurt things.  Even a bunch of overpens at 15 or 16km is part of your sweet spot, you just need to work on speed or target selection.    If your aim is not too good or if you are driving stock and your dispersion sucks (Myogi I'm looking at you!) get closer and take your crappy shotgun and shoot those other ships in the face! and brawl like it's Smash Brothers! 

Next part, I'll talk about how to get to your sweet spot and stay there, along with pushing.

Got to get to work now.

Hope this helps people!

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

+1

Indeed your post would be helpful to new players to learn the basics of the game, as well as teacher them what to do and what not to do.

You may want to give a brief summary of each BB line of different nations in the future, like USN have good armour, AA but slow (until tier 8 where their armour gets worse for better speed) and IJN have good range and speed but they are long and easy to hit. Probably not that useful to someone like me with more than 2k battles :P but surely the new players will find this useful. Campers please read this post and memorise it before you get blasted by my shells

423 posts

I will at some later point.

I find having all that information in one post is too much reading.

As to the campers, don't, you can't really influence the battle out of your sweet spot.   The sweet spot is different for each BB so you have to learn it for each one. Just because you can shoot as far as the Yamato, (Kongo, Myogi you guys) doesn't mean you can delete ships at Yamato's range.  Yamato has her own theme song for a @#$%$%$@%$@ reason people. LOL pen memes and all.  You ain't Yamato, even other Tier 10 BBs.  Don't try to be.  And even Yamato players have their best games around 15-18 km, not 20+.  Yamato, longest range, sweet spot from watching Youtube videos, 15-18 km. 

Know your ships.

496 posts
4,171 battles

i seriously don't understand the hate on myogi

If your aim is not too good or if you are driving stock and your dispersion sucks (Myogi I'm looking at you!) get closer and take your crappy shotgun and shoot those other ships in the face! and brawl like it's Smash Brothers!

^ you literally said how BB's guns are "inaccurate"

and it bloody applies to every BB so stop the myogi abuse

its a good ship just the down side is her turret placement but she is a fine ship 

if we are talking bad about the dispersion please consider all battleship , all battleship have bad dispersion due to their gun size

its a trade off for using huge guns

i sealclub with myogi once in a while kek

^ a huge excuse

i just love myogi over kongo  okay? i feel better on myogi.

Edited by ShiraYukira

423 posts

i seriously don't understand the hate on myogi

^ you literally said how BB's guns are "inaccurate"

and it bloody applies to every BB so stop the myogi abuse

its a good ship just the down side is her turret placement but she is a fine ship 

if we are talking bad about the dispersion please consider all battleship , all battleship have bad dispersion due to their gun size

its a trade off for using huge guns

i sealclub with myogi once in a while kek

^ a huge excuse

i just love myogi over kongo  okay? i feel better on myogi.

Well sir, you are entitled to your opinion and your own play style.  If you rock in the Myogi, then good for you.  But for me, I find it to be the worse BB that I have yet played.  I have to date been completly unable to perform even to my pre-correct bb play standards.  If you have figured out the Myogi, please share how too Myogi on the forum, either in this line or in a seperate topic.  I  am very interested how to Myogi as I always love a challenge, but not a brutal beating. 

496 posts
4,171 battles

Well sir, you are entitled to your opinion and your own play style.  If you rock in the Myogi, then good for you.  But for me, I find it to be the worse BB that I have yet played.  I have to date been completly unable to perform even to my pre-correct bb play standards.  If you have figured out the Myogi, please share how too Myogi on the forum, either in this line or in a seperate topic.  I  am very interested how to Myogi as I always love a challenge, but not a brutal beating. 

I haven't figure out the myogi

but

Myogi 50-50 match up to higher tiers

i play it  like a heavy cruiser supporting DD against other cruiser, taking vigilance  with myogi's decent turning radius one should be able to avoid torps most of the time.

using it's Battleship HP, it could help take some damage for friendly cruisers

^ this isn't viable as most players would just let you die

Targeting

usually play slightly behind the cruisers at a range of around 10km

mainly do  BB to BB combat 

and avoid shooting at DDs and Pheonix

Targeting priority for me is

1 Battleships(all kind)

2 Karlsruhe 

3 Svietlana

4 Kuma - have great mobility like Pheonix but slightly larger in size 

5 Pheonix

6 Destroyers (all)

In a BB - BB situation

pointing bow forwards isn't a that great due to single frontal turret

angling to fire rear turret is viable in ranges of about 8-10 km

^ all depends on enemy BB's position and any nearby ship's position

the bow armor of the myogi is decent and would be able to withstand same tier BB

Myogi's side armor is very poor but should be fine if  it is angled properly

turning back and forth to use rear turrets and turning back to face bow to the enemy is a viable strategy with a decent speed the issue here is that this work best after the enemy had fired else keep bow forward or bait them to shoot by turning.

Myogi is just the same as a Kongo except.. i can't play Kongo well compared to Myogi

comparing to Kongo

Pros :

Better rudder shift time

Better dispersion <- but srsly just play it at mid range

Cons:

Weaker armor (kongo have 5 or 10 more mm better iirc idk)

Detection range is higher than kongo (yes kongo has more concealment lol)

obviously less guns

Final word :

I think that most players are whining about the Battleships dispersion is because they don't understand what they are playing

^clarification : Basically they are playing a ship, they think they get more hp more armor and good guns but doesnt understand what they are trading them for (other than the mobility)

and they just shoot at maximum firing range... normally.........

Sniping is fine if you know your target's stats and where to aim but i still see people sniping cruisers....<- not that i don't ,i totally will shoot a straight line sailing cruisers showing me his sides :D

anyways just play some bots games with myogi before you go ruin your profile kek

^ bots will rush you and its good to know myogi at short range combat compare to others too GL and happy hunting

P.S. if you didn't know Myogi is one of my Sealclubbing credit farming ships kek 

423 posts

Ah, thank you for the info on how to Myogi.

If you got reply enabled I think you could submit one of your Myogi videos to ICHASE or Jingles, they have had trouble with this ship too.

At least now I know why I suck in the Myogi. You have to play it like a crusier and I suck at crusiers.  One reason I'm writting this series, I'm a BB main cause I am good at them.  I'm not going to do any on the other classes as I have failed my way up to where I am in the tech tree with them so far. 

Besides, the Myogi teaches BB players a very important lesson that you really need for all the other IJN BB after Myogi.  I'll talk about that later in the series, and this lesson you can only really learn in Random. 

See you guys next time.