You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ChristmasFerret

Tier VIII Cruisers

26 comments in this topic

14 posts
3,681 battles

I want a high tier cruiser. BBs are food for everything there and I suck bad at DDs. No New Orleans, with so little CVs around I don't think their main selling point is worth much. I only got Furutaka now as a testbed for cruiser gameplay(it's the only low tier CA).

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,466 battles

New Orleans has poor AA so lack of CVs is exactly what you want in it. Its main strengths are solid frontal armour and good concealment, which make it kinda similar to Furutaka and Aoba in a lot of ways.

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,490 battles

New Orleans has poor AA so lack of CVs is exactly what you want in it. Its main strengths are solid frontal armour and good concealment, which make it kinda similar to Furutaka and Aoba in a lot of ways.

new Orleans as poor AA? Never thought that as I was grinding to the Baltimore. Its a good, solid all rounder. But really you have to decide, what T10 would you like, and use that as part of your decision. T8 cruisers fill a tricky spot, they see T10, so you have to really play to their respective strengths. At this Tier mistakes start to get punished hard and fast

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,579 battles

so far to me T8 is crap because keep dropping into T10 match

in a T10 match chapayev 152mm wont do much and mogami have too short range

also will meet wallet rich players with kutuzov and atago..one can smoke weed one can heal so thats some advantage regular ships dont have

short of credits and port slot to buy hipper and new orleans but after playing some match in T8 i'm not really keen anymore

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,466 battles

new Orleans as poor AA?

It's an anomaly in the USN Cruiser line. It's not exactly terrible, but it's amongst the worst AA of Tier 8 Cruisers.

New Orleans
136 dps at 2.0 km (note: the dps of these guns are not boosted by Defensive Fire)
 95 dps at 3.5 km
 58 dps at 4.2 km (note: the dps of these guns can be enhanced by Manual AA skill)

Chapayev
129 dps at 3.5 km
 78 dps at 5.0 km (note: the dps of these guns can be enhanced by Manual AA skill)

Admiral Hipper
 53 dps at 2.0 km (note: the dps of these guns are not boosted by Defensive Fire)
135 dps at 3.5 km
100 dps at 4.5 km (note: the dps of these guns can be enhanced by Manual AA skill)

Mogami
 87 dps at 3.1 km
 40 dps at 5.0 km (note: the dps of these guns can be enhanced by Manual AA skill)

As you can see, New Orleans suffers from a few issues. A large part of its damage output is unaffected by the Defensive Fire skill and is also at very short range. It also benefits rather less from Manual AA skill than most of the other cruisers at Tier 8. Admiral Hipper is by far the best overall, but even she is outclassed by the Mikhail Kutuzov (which I didn't even list, as a small courtesy to poor New Orleans).

Perhaps we could start a "Let's Make New Orleans At Least Average" campaign...

1,125 posts

yep, CA are very strong (and yet, I'm so suck at playing it)

high tier (8+) CA don't need fire at all to kill BB,

ROF + tigh dispersion + sheer alpha damage

all these three is enough, let alone torpedoes and invinsifire...

and yet WG just keep fire chance higher and higher each tier.... duh...

do not complain if there high tier BB like to camp far away... those ship are flame thrower.

507 posts
9,826 battles

with NO had very bad experience. Apart from being thrown into t10 games where im pretty much useless even t8 were rather mediocre.

14 posts
3,681 battles

With my Furutaka, I actually mostly evaluate those battles where I'm the lowest tier. I want to stop at tier VIII so I am expecting the part where I have to face-off with tier X. Any ship can do well if they are the highest tier in a battle. Right now I'm really looking at NO and Mogami because most of their main guns are placed at the front. I don't use that third turret in my Furutaka when facing off higher tier cruisers, because I like to angle my armour and don't want to risk that broadside just for two extra guns but no I don't 1v1 them unless it's a tier VI then maybe I'd consider. I run when there's a BB(unless I got my other teammates to back me up).

14 posts
3,681 battles

I really have to disagree with this.

I see the BBs in the upper tiers as having the most skill to use(next to DD). They seem like they need cruisers more than cruisers need them. Everything out there likes to nibble at them. Cruisers spamming HE, DD launching torps(if I'm not wrong, even 1 DD torp is devastating enough...especially the DoT from flooding) and then sometimes you have those CVs taking a huge chunk out of their hp. You can aim for other cruisers, but you have to be really good at aiming with those long reload times and the cruiser you are aiming at has to be an idiot in order to not turn his rudder and try to throw off a good aim from a BB. Also, BBs don't stand as much of a chance as a cruiser if they are placed in the lowest tier. You can aim at other BBs, but with everything else aiming at them too(and enemy aiming at you), it's difficult to do dmg out of them. In the end, you won't earn enough credits to cover the cost. One more thing, how much credits can I lose in a tier VIII battle anyway? I only played Shokaku during the pre-buffed AA days and she makes quite a lot...except, it's easier to profit from CV than anything else.

266 posts
5,142 battles

If you're looking for a good non-premium T8 cruiser, then I recommend going for the Chapayev. I have played all T8 cruisers in this game, and I find that Chapayev is the most fun of them all.

But here's the catch, you absolutely need Concealment Expert to make Chapayev work. With CE and concealment module, you can bring her detectability down to around 10 km (forgot the exact number). It makes you very stealthy and can survive well even in T10 matches.

Now, with that concealment, Chapayev's detectability when firing is only 14.8 km. That means with 17.8 range, you have 3 km of stealth firing window. When all enemy DDs are dead, you can comfortably burn enemy battleships (or even cruisers) without fear of being shot back.

Not only that, Chapayev also have 12 km radar. Coupled with her 10 km detection and high RoF, it makes her an excellent DD hunter. When you are detected but you don't see any ships on your vicinity, just pop your radar because 99% of the time, it's a sneaky DD trying to pick a fight with you. Then just blast him to smithereens.

Chapayev's only weakness is her slow rudder shift and huge turning radius. But as long as you angle ahead of time, you'll be fine. Stay away from Yamato, though. :3

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

with NO had very bad experience. Apart from being thrown into t10 games where im pretty much useless even t8 were rather mediocre.

U wot m8 I enjoyed even the Pepsi and loved the NO after I got good at it (half hated the Baltimore tho)

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

If you want a premium: get the Atago it's beast

If you want free sheep: get the Mogami or New Orleans because they have good armour and guns. New Orleans is harder to master than Mogami tho, probably the hardest T8 CA to master I would say

507 posts
9,826 battles

U wot m8 I enjoyed even the Pepsi and loved the NO after I got good at it (half hated the Baltimore tho)

Wut..i mean it was half decent. Baltimore on the other hand was awesome. That AA and Concealment (9.7 with CE) was very good. Not to mention its a beautiful ship.. 

683 posts
7,345 battles

I only got Mogami and Hipper. Personally I choose hipper of the two for better range, good AP damage and it's devastating to other cruisers especially to lower tiers ones, and descent AA if willing to extend its range via module.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Wut..i mean it was half decent. Baltimore on the other hand was awesome. That AA and Concealment (9.7 with CE) was very good. Not to mention its a beautiful ship.. 

It was a beautiful ship but the damage potential was just too low, because if I get into effective range by myself then I am to port

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

I see the BBs in the upper tiers as having the most skill to use(next to DD). They seem like they need cruisers more than cruisers need them. Everything out there likes to nibble at them. Cruisers spamming HE, DD launching torps(if I'm not wrong, even 1 DD torp is devastating enough...especially the DoT from flooding) and then sometimes you have those CVs taking a huge chunk out of their hp. You can aim for other cruisers, but you have to be really good at aiming with those long reload times and the cruiser you are aiming at has to be an idiot in order to not turn his rudder and try to throw off a good aim from a BB. Also, BBs don't stand as much of a chance as a cruiser if they are placed in the lowest tier. You can aim at other BBs, but with everything else aiming at them too(and enemy aiming at you), it's difficult to do dmg out of them. In the end, you won't earn enough credits to cover the cost. One more thing, how much credits can I lose in a tier VIII battle anyway? I only played Shokaku during the pre-buffed AA days and she makes quite a lot...except, it's easier to profit from CV than anything else.

I'm sorry, but this is how you look like in Battleships

p0gQAsl.jpg

No wonder you are utter clueless about battleships. Clearly you don't know the following stuffs:

1. Most battleships have superior AA than tier for tier cruisers and CV players never go for BBs at the beginning cause they will lose a lot of planes.

2. Battleships can one salvo delete almost all the cruisers, you wont find cruisers going very close to battleships without much consideration.

3. Battleships aren't usually the frontline, so DDs torping for battleship is much of a long shot.

4. Battleships can even delete DDs at 12 Km with AP salvo.

5. Battleship have a lot more carry potential than a cruiser.

Battleships don't earn credits? As far as I know battleships have much higher average exp and credit earning than most cruisers. You played about 2500 games and still that clueless about a class. LOL.

Edited by icy_phoenix

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,557 battles

only battles ship that is remotely underwhelming in high tiersvis izumo, which actually have sniper guns that is perfect for deleting CAs, in the 70games or so i played in izumo, i DSed almost 50 CAs(not counting iowa XD), so battleships are much more dangerous then CAs

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

Not sure on the OP. But if you are looking to get a high tier cruiser the hipper and chappy are sound. Can mix it up as high or low tier MM

14 posts
3,681 battles

I'm sorry, but this is how you look like in Battleships

p0gQAsl.jpg

No wonder you are utter clueless about battleships. Clearly you don't know the following stuffs:

1. Most battleships have superior AA than tier for tier cruisers and CV players never go for BBs at the beginning cause they will lose a lot of planes.

2. Battleships can one salvo delete almost all the cruisers, you wont find cruisers going very close to battleships without much consideration.

3. Battleships aren't usually the frontline, so DDs torping for battleship is much of a long shot.

4. Battleships can even delete DDs at 12 Km with AP salvo.

5. Battleship have a lot more carry potential than a cruiser.

Battleships don't earn credits? As far as I know battleships have much higher average exp and credit earning than most cruisers. You played about 2500 games and still that clueless about a class. LOL.

Don't our BB stats looks similar?

1. That only applies if it's NC-Montanna...and if the CV is tier VII or VIII, the other BBs are pretty easy targets for CVs. And no in the higher tier, CVs usually go after capping DDs first before BBs.

2. This one is actually true, but cruisers usually maneuvre out to throw off the aim if they notice the shells coming. If not...then yeah you'd probably get DS out of it.

3. I usually see high tier BBs getting hit by salvo of torps from DDs invisifiring them on the higher tiers.

4. I can't argue with this one...I find it true. :( 

5. They need friendly cruisers to move forward first so they can closely follow behind. If not they are vulnerable.

They do, but BBs are expected to take in dmg and the repair costs can easily exceed the credit revenue. But thanks for reminding me how effective BBs are if things go right though.

If you want a premium: get the Atago it's beast

If you want free sheep: get the Mogami or New Orleans because they have good armour and guns. New Orleans is harder to master than Mogami tho, probably the hardest T8 CA to master I would say

I think I'll settle for NO, I take that AA as a plus(I hate them when I'm in a CV). And I like the forward gun arrangement on NO. I want to keep the ship so...I got forever to learn how to use it. Though a little afraid my grinding over the holidays might go to waste. If not...I can just try Mogami, Already unlocked Aoba.

[LYNMF]
990 posts
11,579 battles

burn izumo 53K, kill a dd or do big damage on these little fella..chapayev is so annoying just spam HE and burn burn burn lol

mogami can rot in port

451 posts
6,946 battles

U want an op flamethrower? Kutuzov. Nothing else is more irritating than this pos flinging salvos that set at least 1 fire out to 18km+ and still be stupidly accurate.

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

U want an op flamethrower? Kutuzov. Nothing else is more irritating than this pos flinging salvos that set at least 1 fire out to 18km+ and still be stupidly accurate.

I've found one of the reasons I sucked with Kutuzov so bad, I didn't have DE. CV's don't come near of Kutuzov anyway, so taking BFT+AFT was a waste. Also I get citadelled in Kutuzov when perfectly angled from long range BB shells.