You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
NZLBROTHERS2016

Beehive shells for Yamato

25 comments in this topic

104 posts
7 battles

Hey now I have been reading a lot about Yamato and I heard that its main guns were multipurpose even though they're AA ability wasn't good it was still able to shoot Beehive Shells, shells that explode in mid air so I thought why not why don't we make this an experimental thing and see what people think I mean that's what the test server is for isn't it? oh well I cannot go into detail at this time as I have got to get to University so I'll see you guys later

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,447 battles

Hey now I have been reading a lot about Yamato and I heard that its main guns were multipurpose even though they're AA ability wasn't good it was still able to shoot Beehive Shells, shells that explode in mid air so I thought why not why don't we make this an experimental thing and see what people think I mean that's what the test server is for isn't it? oh well I cannot go into detail at this time as I have got to get to University so I'll see you guys later

Those are more like fireworks - American WWII pilot

451 posts
6,946 battles

WG cant even balance cvs properly and u want them to introduce more mechanics that may upset whatever balance they have so far?

295 posts
6,613 battles

while we're at it why not give USN radar guided fire control system? so all you have to do just press left click while your turrets aim automatically 

205 posts
5,305 battles

while we're at it why not give USN radar guided fire control system? so all you have to do just press left click while your turrets aim automatically 

And gyro stabilized guns that keep them locked on target despite the rolling and pitching and maneuvering that was common in naval gunships of the WW 2 era. But, alas, we have to use good ole eyeball fire direction control, so the obvious technological advantages the USN and RN enjoyed over their counterparts are not ingame. Heck, even VT fused AA is not ingame, I think.
Edited by Bunda369

1,107 posts
7,849 battles

Sanshiki-dan were not only used by Yamato you know.

its use is widespread, and the ridiculus efectiveness is also well known.

30t6t52.jpg

Above, is Battleship Nagato, firing fireworks. through her entire battle carrer she spew more than 200 of those shell - and bringing down exactly 0 Kills

in fact the only known "Possible Kill" by Sanshiki-dan were only 1.

Its a B-24J codename "Taloa" - claimed by the crew she was being hit by 14 inch Sanshiki Shell from Turret number 2 of Battleship Haruna

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

30t6t52.jpg

Above, is Battleship Nagato, firing fireworks. through her entire battle carrer she spew more than 200 of those shell - and bringing down exactly 0 Kills

Its a B-24J codename "Taloa" - claimed by the crew she was being hit by 14 inch Sanshiki Shell from Turret number 2 of Battleship Haruna

i highly doubt the effectiveness of sanshiki. USN proximity fuse are way more effective than those fancy fireworks.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Exactly - the effectiveness of the beehive shells were terrible at best, and pretty much nothing more than pretty fireworks when used in the AA role. Even worse, when these were fired, the regular AA fire were suppressed because the main guns firing would disrupt the 25mm autocannons and 12.7cm DP guns.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

BB Yamato use of Type 3 shell is too common that the Dev already foresee it. So no or wait for the Dev to decide.

30t6t52.jpg

In reality, the only effectiveness of the shell is bombarding land target.

Inb4 DAT game.

1,107 posts
7,849 battles

In reality, the only effectiveness of the shell is bombarding land target.

Inb4 DAT game.

Rumored, it destroy 40 Aircraft when bombing american airfield.

But still - so does Normal HE shell

aside from the well known Shell.

Sanshiki type warhead also used on the only operational Rocket based weapon of Japan Military.

it used on Carrier, with 6 Launcher carrying 28 Rockets total.

The fact that they use Rockets realy makes it more looks like a fireworks hahaha

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,861 posts
4,149 battles

Oh for the sake of **** someone posted this already

Its like the seasons.  it just keeps rolling.  We should be due for a "Drop anchor and stop" thread or a sub thread soon as well.

104 posts
7 battles

I don't know I just like having the thought of being able to shoot planes with 18 inch guns I mean sure it may only have a 1 out of 30% chance of actually shooting something down but I mean we should add this feature for training rooms so if you wanna have fun yet add authenticity to your game or make it as real as possible its just a thought you know? I mean maybe it could be a feature just for the test server who knows but I would really be so joyed to see this in game come on guys lets all push to make the game more realistic, I mean heck Yamato is missing 4 extra AA mounts on the second and third turret for crying out loud (2 turret mounts each) so why dont we instead of shooting down other peoples ideas co-operate to help WG to make their game as realistic yet balanced as possible I mean shoot Battlestations Pacific War has Yamato and it looks nothing like WG's replica yet it has beehive shells and the 4 extra AA mounts so technically speaking their Yamato depiction is more accurate than the one in WOWS. lets beat them and make our Yamato better looking and accurate.

Edited by NZLBROTHERS2016

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

someone didn't do his homework before suggesting this type 3 shell.

problem of sanshiki pointed out before on previous tread like this.
1. main guns gun elevasion. there's no way you can shoot planes flying at high altitude with those low angle guns.
2. IJN guns poor turret traverse can't keep up with fast flying units. hell even some of their AA suffer from this problem.
3. poor rate of fire.
4. cone shape aoe is not really effective, it has limited area unlike spherical  AoE

5. just like other IJN AA weaponry e.g rockets, type 3 shell is a huge failure against AA. so ijn just uses it to bombard henderson airfield with it. but imo HE shell are probably way better since they will do more damage than raining shrapnel against an airfield.

you know, this game is way more realistic than sanshiki hitting an aircraft flying high altitude. :teethhappy:

104 posts
7 battles

someone didn't do his homework before suggesting this type 3 shell.

problem of sanshiki pointed out before on previous tread like this.

1. main guns gun elevasion. there's no way you can shoot planes flying at high altitude with those low angle guns.

2. IJN guns poor turret traverse can't keep up with fast flying units. hell even some of their AA suffer from this problem.

3. poor rate of fire.

4. cone shape aoe is not really effective, it has limited area unlike spherical  AoE

5. just like other IJN AA weaponry e.g rockets, type 3 shell is a huge failure against AA. so ijn just uses it to bombard henderson airfield with it. but imo HE shell are probably way better since they will do more damage than raining shrapnel against an airfield.

you know, this game is way more realistic than sanshiki hitting an aircraft flying high altitude. :teethhappy:

Dude Yamato has a pretty decent elevation especially if it wants to fire up to 27 kilometres plus it can shoot at planes it says so in every document on the Yamato during its life and sinking even though the effective damage was less than that of a regular AA gun it would still be more of a pleasure to have something you can fire into the air just to present your dominance really plus that explains why Yamato's turrets in previous versions of the game could ALMOST point straight up to the sky which was more realistic in that case because I have been studying Yamato for 3 years and it always seems to surprise me even to this day so you saying that the main guns couldn't elevate high is actually quite wrong.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

yes, because adding something sounds awesome (but impratical) like Super-Land Battleships

is much more interesting rather than explaining about how it will fit in the game

Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

I don't know I just like having the thought of being able to shoot planes with 18 inch guns I mean sure it may only have a 1 out of 30% ratio of actually shooting something down but I mean we should add this feature for training rooms so if you wanna have fun yet add authenticity to your game or make it as real as possible its just a thought you know? I mean maybe it could be a feature just for the test server who knows but I would really be so joyed to see this in game come on guys lets all push to make the game more realistic, I mean heck Yamato is missing 4 extra AA mounts on the second and third turret for crying out loud (2 turret mounts each) so why dont we instead of shooting down other peoples ideas co-operate to help WG to make their game as realistic yet balanced as possible I mean shoot Battlestations Pacific War has Yamato and it looks nothing like WG's replica yet it has beehive shells and the 4 extra AA mounts so technically speaking their Yamato depiction is more accurate than the one in WOWS. lets beat them and make our Yamato better looking and accurate.

Dude Yamato has a pretty decent elevation especially if it wants to fire up to 27 kilometres plus it can shoot at planes it says so in every document on the Yamato during its life and sinking even though the effective damage was less than that of a regular AA gun it would still be more of a pleasure to have something you can fire into the air just to present your dominance really plus that explains why Yamato's turrets in previous versions of the game could ALMOST point straight up to the sky which was more realistic in that case because I have been studying Yamato for 3 years and it always seems to surprise me even to this day so you saying that the main guns couldn't elevate high is actually quite wrong.

If you want realism, I'll refer you to this post:

View Postdead_man_walking, on 01 October 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

If the game was realistic huh?

2 weeks before sailing all ships start re-stocking ammunition, food etc

48 hours before the main force sails, the minesweeping force lights up boilers and prepares to sail.

24 hours before the main force sails, the minesweeping force is on station clearing the harbour mouth

12 hours before the main force sails the naval and civilian police lock down the wharves, go find the crew(s)

4 hours prior to sailing light up boilers, start making steam, start clearing upper decks 

Zero hour - first ship starts to leave the wharf, at 15 minute intervals the remainder of the fleet start to leave and form up.

Merchant marine starts lighting up boilers to sail 4 hours after the main fleet 

+2 hours main fleet finally formed up and setting the exit screen around the harbour mouth, minesweepers continue clearing, ASW pickets setup and start prosecuting any and all targets 

+4 hours convoy starts to sail

+8 hours convoy finally formed up outside the harbour mouth ready to proceed

+12 hours you are about 10nm from harbour, still sorting out the stragglers for the convoy

+24 hours you are maybe 100nm away from your starting point, still within territorial waters with no enemy in sight or expected for at least another 3-4 days

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

+45/-5 degrees. 10°/s

AA guns have what, at least 80° minimum?

Historically, Yamato's 46cm san-shikis only shot down less than a handful of planes before they closed the distance and bombed Yamato till it sunk.

What use is an anti-air gun that can only fire once before being rendered useless? Especially when said rounds are only effective in a cone in front of the shell. Compared to conventional HE rounds, pilots can literally have san-shikis detonate next to them and be unscathed because its effective arc has already been passed.