Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiralthomas

Ship AA rating.

12 comments in this topic

199 posts
18,023 battles

I modified my tier 8 Russian cruiser AA to max. Ratings 81. Got attacked by 4 squadrons of torp planes from tier 9 CV. I even got the 100 % secondary survivability. Not even 1 plane shot down as they attack me. I found this game really confusing. The ship rating is just for show. Not relevance to the game. Not sure if Atlanta with lower AA rating will be better.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

TNjl2RD.jpg

Some more info:

Plane kills is RNG. You stack your odds by increasing DPS, and increase exposure by extending range (the longer the planes have to linger in the AA aura, the higher the probability of shooting a plane down). Setting a squadron as priority target increases DPS by x1.3. Defensive Fire consumable increases medium (25-85 mm) and long range (>85 mm, DM's 76mm is an exception and counts as long range) DPS by x3.

450 posts
7,896 battles

Range is important. and the system is kind of Risk, rowing an imaginary dice to see how much damage you do to enemy planes. chances are, you will be so unlucky and get killed before to kill enemy planes. 

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

OOOOOOh ! Nooooooo. I am modifying the ship wrongly all this time. This gonna cost me. I have modified all the cruiser according to AA ratings.

That depends... if you're increasing DPS and range it in turn increases the overall rating. But the overall rating does not tell you the whole story. A ship with a several dozen 25 mm guns might have a high AA rating, but in fact it's only good for close range. A dozen DP guns might contribute less to AA rating but they're the most valuable asset since they engage earlier and for far more longer.

Check your DPS and range, and figure out whether it's worth bumping one or both up. Some ships have bad AA that sometimes it's just not worth speccing for AA. The Chapayev has average AA for its tier. Most of its DPS is in medium range, while its long range DPS is just okay. You can spec it for AA for a little bit of improvement but it won't be as good as New Orleans, Hipper or Kutuzov.

[KGHSF]
3,203 posts
6,030 battles

Des Moines and Hindenburg can shoot any plane in range 7.2 for Des Moines

Hindenburg (almost) could match I ever play in PT many times 

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,858 battles

Yeah, despite having such a high AA rating, Russian cruisers is actually bad at AA. I'm not sure how they even have high rating.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Yeah, despite having such a high AA rating, Russian cruisers is actually bad at AA. I'm not sure how they even have high rating.

Because it is Russian

Duh!

[KGHSF]
3,203 posts
6,030 battles

Russki are low range for AA wall (or you can compare with JP) but only focus on close range. (that's impossible to prevent plane hit you)

I ever play Moskva and focus on AA range it's good only 4.2 k.m still could protect from plane by a little good than nothing.

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,858 battles

Russki are low range for AA wall (or you can compare with JP) but only focus on close range. (that's impossible to prevent plane hit you)

I ever play Moskva and focus on AA range it's good only 4.2 k.m still could protect from plane by a little good than nothing.

I tried to compare Moskva and Zao's AA, even though Moskva has better AA rating, Zao have better overall AA imo. Zao has lot better short range AA, Moskva has better mid range AA and in Long Range AA Zao has more DPS but less range, the fatal thing about Moskva is she has too few AA guns, only 16 of them, the bulk DPS came from mid range AA and long range AA but there's only 6 and 4 of them respectively. Knocking just one of them will ensure significant reduction on her AA and considering Moskva's reputation as a big bad sausage she's basically won't do better than Zao in AA

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

RNG decides the fate of planes attacking you.

If you want to prioritize AA, always consider the longest-ranged AA gun first. They're the first bubble that gets to take potshots first, and most carriers will have planes maneuvering between medium AA and large-caliber AA as they try to get a good drop, meaning that most of the time, large-caliber AA will be your only reliable line of defense.

Don't count on medium/short range AA for anything other that last-minute interceptions unless you have +40%AA range from AFT and the AA upgrade, this extends 3.5km AA to 4.9km. Short-ranged AA will only realistically get a few seconds to perform their DPS, so don't count on them at all.

Sign in to follow this