Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Unraveler

Konig Upgraded Hull Zero Visibility

14 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,494 battles

Here's a picture of the upgraded Konig:

azc8Jar.jpg

Looks nice. However, there's a problem. On the stock hull, Turret B is flat (no rangefinder or AA mount) just like Turret A. The vision ports of the conning tower peer right over the top of it.

But now, with the fancy upgrade, your captain is blind.

E8Tp5Qb.jpg

He can see nothing at all in a wide frontal arc except the rangefinder of the main gun turret and, perhaps, the sailors manning the AA gun.

MtEC4RJ.jpg

I quite like the what-if upgrades that sometimes appear in this game. Designs that were never realised historically, instead given new life here in our game. It's fascinating, but this... this is a bit jarring. Nobody would sail this ship into battle with zero forward visibility.

Two solutions spring to mind. A: Raise the conning tower. The hull remodeling is already quite extensive, so it's reasonable to assume the Germans would have rebuilt the command area to suit the new layout.

Or B: Mount a giant periscope like in the cartoons.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Are you sure that's the bridge??

For a big ship, it's a mighty small room.

Maybe it's the head.

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

There is more than 1 "Bridge" on a Warships.

warShip also can be controled from Flying bridge, sometimes located on top of conning tower offering unobstructed vision.

the person at the helm lots of the times never have to see anything, they just needed to follow the command from Operation center aka CIC

On modern war, The bridge were only essential when navigating inside - outside port / harbour.

They can handle direction and combat from operation room, giving order directly to Engine room

Most of the case, The people on Conning tower just shouting where to go, to the person at the helm.

since the people at the helm cant see Behind the ship, and have lots of obstructed vision. They just drive according to the direction given.

its very common to have person at helm, never see anything or have full grasp of the battlefield themself. - since the one that put those information together and decide what to do would be the captain

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

I have to admit, it does look funny and I'd imagine it's completely unrealistic, but this is a fantasy game anyway so I guess its artistic license.

Also if the turrets were angled to the rear and firing, wouldn't it blow out the windows of the so called bridge as well? I know it's not the same as the Yamato or Montana but it would still create a huge shock wave wouldn't it or is its calibre size to small?   

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Yep, humusz is correct.

The schoolgirl steering the ship from the wheelhouse does not need to see a thing.

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Wheres the bridge on Tirpitz, the top region or the structure behind the second gun?

LkwU7Ex.png

The bottom one is the Armored Bridge, or more Preciesly because what a bridge is can be considered rather vague, They both can be considered as Bridge.

While the whole thing usualy be called Conning Tower

The one in the Bottom is called Armored Conning Tower, The wheelhouse were located there and also Forward Gunnery Control Station.

Directly on top of it is open air bridge, you can even see few pairs of Long range binnoculars there

The Top room you mention, Directly on top of 3,7 cm AA gun were called Admiral Bridge.

Its specialized room reserved for Acting Flagship, so Admiral of the fleet can exercise control over his fleet (Strategic Decision) without interfering with the Captain's tactical command of the vessel (Tactical Decision)

The rest of structure on top of Admirals Bridge is Armored Gunnery Control Station

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,494 battles

Wheres the bridge on Tirpitz, the top region or the structure behind the second gun?

LkwU7Ex.png

You can clearly tell from the lighting that the upper one is the Disco Room.

556 posts
8,197 battles

The bottom one is the Armored Bridge, or more Preciesly because what a bridge is can be considered rather vague, They both can be considered as Bridge.

While the whole thing usualy be called Conning Tower

The one in the Bottom is called Armored Conning Tower, The wheelhouse were located there and also Forward Gunnery Control Station.

Directly on top of it is open air bridge, you can even see few pairs of Long range binnoculars there

The Top room you mention, Directly on top of 3,7 cm AA gun were called Admiral Bridge.

Its specialized room reserved for Acting Flagship, so Admiral of the fleet can exercise control over his fleet (Strategic Decision) without interfering with the Captain's tactical command of the vessel (Tactical Decision)

The rest of structure on top of Admirals Bridge is Armored Gunnery Control Station

I had a feeling that the admiral bridge was important. I was curious because the A. Hipper's stock design only has a lower bridge and lacks the admiral bridge.

German sparkle parteh

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

I had a feeling that the admiral bridge was important. I was curious because the A. Hipper's stock design only has a lower bridge and lacks the admiral bridge.

Admiral Bridge were not specialy added for Admiral or his staff only. it can be also used by any designated flag officer (or equivalent of commodore / commander / rear admiral) too, as long as the ship were Designed / Intended to lead a Flotila / combat group (small or  large) she might have one.  there is a few ship that doesnt provide separate quaters however, it can be closely joined or lay next to each others - this usualy the case in smaller capital ship like Cruiser - the most famous example should be myoko

it is important because from there the CO, commanded the fleet - but without it the vessel can still operate just fine

Edited by humusz

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

German nightclubs best nightclubs

Sign in to follow this