You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

Is it worth it to grind all the way to the Montana

43 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Hey all. I am wondering if the Montana is worth grinding toward ? As of the moment I am very discouraged to go down the US battleships like because of how cruisers can hold down Mouse 1 and instantly kill battleships. Especially my current ship which is the Colorado (51000 HP? Pls buff). I do know that the Iowa is worth getting because the Amagi is still performing better than the North Carolina when I checked it on warships today last week. Iowa is really good ship, I know that. But the Montana. She doesn't seems to do very well as of the moment. Yamato is extremely good, some may even say overpowered. I've seen Yamato in battles before when I play CV and I am leaning toward the overpowered side. I am very hesitance to grind for the Montana because I know that there will be a lot of Yamato running around and if a Yamato captain is able to click on any point of my ship and instantly get a citadel... It would not be fun at all. So I am asking all the Montana captain out there. Is jf worth grinding all the way to the Montana ? 

Edited by silenthunter19944

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

2-week stats show that Colorado's doing slightly better than Nagato, North Carolina doing slightly better than Amagi, and Iowa doing quite a bit better than Izumo. That is to say, the difference between the Nagato/Colorado and Amagi/North Carolina are pretty negligible. Yamato's got a clear higher average damage than Montana, but their winrates are virtually identical. I'd say the Montana is still pretty competitive with the Yamato, but is likely going to take some more thought to play.

450 posts
7,896 battles

I miss my Colorado, it feels better when shooting and the armor was stronger. 

NC is definitely better than Amagi. from the view of the armor. I just pent an Amagi in the citadel today with my Atago. 

In the distribution of the main turrets, NC is definitely better as the third turret of the Amagi can only be used at the broadside position. You know what it means 

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,801 battles

Dont get the Montana. Just stay in the Iowa.

The Montana gets WORSE armor (29mm deck vs 32mm deck)

The extra turret and marginally better AA is not worth going up 1 more tier.

Stick to Iowa and you can at least kill some Nagatos and Colorados and have the hope of not fighting a Yamato all the time.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

2-week stats show that Colorado's doing slightly better than Nagato, North Carolina doing slightly better than Amagi, and Iowa doing quite a bit better than Izumo. That is to say, the difference between the Nagato/Colorado and Amagi/North Carolina are pretty negligible. Yamato's got a clear higher average damage than Montana, but their winrates are virtually identical. I'd say the Montana is still pretty competitive with the Yamato, but is likely going to take some more thought to play.

Oh ok. I must to have been looking at some old stats but thank you for the info

435 posts
6,169 battles

Only 7 Montana battles so far and my first impressions aren’t great.

You’re always going be to paired off with another tier X ship, so far 6 Yummy to 1 Monty (directly opposite in the team list). MM doesn’t seem to match other tier X classes like cruisers and destroyers.

Monty feels so sluggish compared to the Iowa, Iowa felt like a battlecrusier but the Monty feels like an oil tanker. Monty’s turning radius and rudder speed is 950x22.2s compared with Iowa 920x19.5s, just 3s difference but you can really notice it. I don’t have any facts on acceleration but with “Propulsion Modification 2” it doesn’t have much of an effect on the Monty compared with the Iowa. When I slam Monty it into reverse its just sit there for so long. (I might change this mod)

I’m mainly bow on so the extra rear turret doesn’t come into play much but this could be an Iowa play style. Maybe after 50-60 more battles I might learn how to use the rear end.

One positive so far – it’s good to be at the top.

Edited by Yul_Brynner

Beta Tester
906 posts

The montana is worth it. It plays differently to the ijn BBs.

The whole usn bb line plays differently. To be honest you have more chance to 1 shot things in a montana than a yamato.

I prefer playing this ship more than the yamato. Because it's more fun. In the hands of a good player any ship can pwn.

Edited by SlamUez

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,011 battles

The Montana is a great ship to play, while her guns can't just Lol pen any ship from any angle Her guns are still powerful enough for T10 as you can easily Citadel any T8-9 BB's and only need to work a bit harder to citadel Yamato & Montana. And as for facing angled Yamato's if you load HE you can do 10-15k salvos + putting a fire or 2 on them. Also what i like to do is use the forward 2 turrets to target 1 Cruiser and use the rear turrets to target another, despite all the bad reviews about the ship she can deal massive damage if you play to her strengths. IMO Im glad i ground up the US line over the IJN line as on average i believe the US ships are better.

266 posts
5,135 battles

No tier 10 is worth grinding to, unless you enjoy paying several hundred thousand credits PER BATTLE, even on a win, and not dying...

Stop at tier 8, seriously.

I beg to differ. It's true that I often lose money when I play T10, but I play this game not to hoard credits.

I play this game to have fun, and wrecking lower tier ships with my T10s is a whole loads of fun.

Beta Tester
906 posts

No tier 10 is worth grinding to, unless you enjoy paying several hundred thousand credits PER BATTLE, even on a win, and not dying...

Bad advice, T10 have the best and most fun ships in the game. You can make credits on T10 games.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Bad advice, T10 have the best and most fun ships in the game. You can make credits on T10 games.

Unless you're playing super-unicum all the time and have a premium account, making credits on a T10 game is a rare occasion due to the sheer maintenance and ammunition costs, as well as the cost for repairs. T10 gameplay also isn't the be-all, end-all of World of Warships - there are plenty fun ships in the lower tiers, and IMO, tier 5-7 gameplay is pretty much the most fun and fluid, with a lot of attacking/counterattacking, compared to the relatively static long-range gameplay of t8-t10.

507 posts
9,826 battles

Unless you're playing super-unicum all the time and have a premium account, making credits on a T10 game is a rare occasion due to the sheer maintenance and ammunition costs, as well as the cost for repairs. T10 gameplay also isn't the be-all, end-all of World of Warships - there are plenty fun ships in the lower tiers, and IMO, tier 5-7 gameplay is pretty much the most fun and fluid, with a lot of attacking/counterattacking, compared to the relatively static long-range gameplay of t8-t10.

They are gonna bring the repair costs down at some point permanently aren't they?

Beta Tester
906 posts

The BBs are too slow at those tiers. It takes a good 5 minutes to get into position. Compared to T8+, where you can zip around the map and start firing within 2 minutes of the game.

I'll say this, at Tier 10, any ship within this tier hold their own weight and are monsters. This is evident in the super league games. There isn't an under performing ship. Tier 10s really show the end game of the line and how the ships are supposed to be played.

The Montana if specced correctly has 26 second reloads, turrets turning as the ship turns and never out of sync. In addition to 30+% fire with a range of 26km. Its AP alpha can 1 shot a yamato at 10km. Its concealment can be down to 13.6km. So sneak up on things and go booommmmm..... If thats not fun, I don't know what is. Ship goes up to 30knots which is quite fast for a BB compared to 21knots in a colorado.

[MEGA]
4,562 posts
17,552 battles

i have 2 pics here in the links below, 1 is a montana nailing a yammy for 6 cits and putting it down to like 3000hp, and another was a friendly training.room battle(it wasnt friendly) where a monty put 7 citadel and 2 normal penatrations into a yammy, instantly deleating it from full hp in one salvo, the monty's dmg potential is too high, WG yamato buff when?:trollface:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6p3w1qcs2qf0x9/-2ab5bcc358d2d99a.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwmyt70tu44bdz4/75739c1f24cd5fcf.jpg?dl=0

Edited by drakon233

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

If you only play at low tiers, you wont have any place to use your credit at all. So they are as good as having none.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

In case anyone haven't noticed yet, Montana gets more credit and exp doing the same thing as an Yamato. So if both gets same ribbons and damage stuffs, Montana is win.

Really?

How do you know?

Where is the proof?

From what factor?

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

Really?

How do you know?

Where is the proof?

From what factor?

Each ship has their own xp multiplier, montana has bigger number tgan yamato. Check server stats, montana has significant higher average exp even with much lower average damage.

Regarding source, some supertesters, and famous youtubers. Last time we had a discussion about that on discord, it was Aerroon.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Each ship has their own xp multiplier, montana has bigger number tgan yamato. Check server stats, montana has significant higher average exp even with much lower average damage.

Regarding source, some supertesters, and famous youtubers. Last time we had a discussion about that on discord, it was Aerroon.

That is a poor detail

She have 12 guns compare to 9 guns on Yamato

So she have it much easier of shooting Cruisers and even destroyers albeit do lower damage to them