You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Soloun

Detonation, a suggestion

69 comments in this topic

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
177 posts
6,436 battles

I would like to suggest that detonation not be possible until your ship is low health, say 20% and below. 

I realise it's in the game because, well, not sure really why as it add's nothing but annoyance and another stroke against RNG but it IS in the game for whatever reason.

I had used all my Det flags, had 50 of em so a few, I trot out in my little Benson, first hit of the battle on my ship, Detonation, Congratulations, we saw you were outa flags so here's some more :) No that's ok, you don't have to thank us... :) Just as well really.

Thanks for that War Gaming but I think we need to look at this. Where is the fun? Where is the skill? Where is the sense? 

If my ship was already badly damaged, fair enough, there's fuel all over the place torps rolling from one side of the deck to the other as I maneuver and try to avoid incoming fire and then, BOOM, a shot takes me out, well fair enough, but first hit of the battle? LOL what a stupid idea one of you had LOL, it takes rare stupidity to put something like this in a game and call it a feature, seriously sack that intern and give it some thought.

It seems every time I use up my Det flags I get given some more, I seldom put them on ships because when I run out the game always gives me more lol,  this is not a good feature as it currently stands, at least IMO.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

The Maine was a special case though as it was said to be deliberately sunk by saboteurs.

the govt of the day put the saboteur story out, for political reasons.. . years later, it transpired that it was a torpedo explosive mishap, cause by unstable chemicals

350 posts

the govt of the day put the saboteur story out, for political reasons.. . years later, it transpired that it was a torpedo explosive mishap, cause by unstable chemicals

Odd, the same thing was blamed for the submarines that sunk mysteriously too. There is a famous one, but I think it is taboo to say it here.

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

There is more than 40 Documented cases of magazine explosion from pre-dreadnought era from Arizona, Kawachi, those 3 Battlecruiser from Jutland (Queen marry, Invincible, Indefatigableto new orleans

Modern ship also dont fare better, Israel Destroyer Eilat, Iranian Frigate Sahand, HMS Antelope, and the most recent were Guided missile submarine Kursk

RNG seems a part of Naval Battle

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
177 posts
6,436 battles

Hello back to all of you, and hello from THE GAME WORLD :)

Detonation can and has occurred in real life, I don't see how that adds to the game? Which is the point of the post since a lot of you seem to have missed that.  

The detonation feature detracts from the enjoyment of the game for the majority of those it happens to, I find it funny but stupid and just go play another ship, how is that realistic, shouldn't I be unable to do that now that I blew up? Please check your examples and get back to me :) We all need you to post more real life examples everyone knows about already.  

Saying that it happens in real life so it should happen in the game is very tunnel vision of you, it adds nothing and this is a game not a simulator or real life or any real attempt at true ship to ship combat.

This is a game for peoples enjoyment and fun, detonation detracts from that. 

Is it possible to have a ship down to 20hp on fire from bow to stern and still be able to fire all its guns and move around like normal? Nope but as this is a game that's OK as it works and is FUN. 

If all you can do is point out examples of whats happened in real life to justify why a FPS Ship game should have it, well that's just blown everything away, lets change the game on all levels to match hey :) 

When do the sub lines get released into the game sorry? I missed that post and I'd like a U-Boat.

Now please all post the sub detonations :)  

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

But what about when your shot detonates a ship?

Do you think "Aw, poor little ship, i wish that didn't happen."?

Or is it "Yes, what a shot I just did!!"?

We both know the answer.

IMHO It adds immeasurably to the gameplay.

Super Tester
730 posts
3,239 battles

IJN Tsukuba says moshi moshi!

Truth be told, I always feel a tinge of sadness when I detonate someone,

But the rage it induces when you've been detonated 5 times over the last 2 days .-.

Super Tester
7,544 posts
7,993 battles

I would like to suggest that detonation not be possible until your ship is low health, say 20% and below. 

I realise it's in the game because, well, not sure really why as it add's nothing but annoyance and another stroke against RNG but it IS in the game for whatever reason.

I had used all my Det flags, had 50 of em so a few, I trot out in my little Benson, first hit of the battle on my ship, Detonation, Congratulations, we saw you were outa flags so here's some more :) No that's ok, you don't have to thank us... :) Just as well really.

Thanks for that War Gaming but I think we need to look at this. Where is the fun? Where is the skill? Where is the sense? 

If my ship was already badly damaged, fair enough, there's fuel all over the place torps rolling from one side of the deck to the other as I maneuver and try to avoid incoming fire and then, BOOM, a shot takes me out, well fair enough, but first hit of the battle? LOL what a stupid idea one of you had LOL, it takes rare stupidity to put something like this in a game and call it a feature, seriously sack that intern and give it some thought.

It seems every time I use up my Det flags I get given some more, I seldom put them on ships because when I run out the game always gives me more lol,  this is not a good feature as it currently stands, at least IMO.

It's a fun and engaging game mechanic, and it's really is a feature. 

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

i feel bit salty about detonation at first but i started have fun with it. they don't happened that much but when they do, it was mostly hilarious.

they rarely happen specially to cruises. ( i never got detonated on any cruisers so far) they mostly happened to my destroyer because their magazine are only protected by thin armor, and battleship when torpedo find their way to one of my magazine.

you don't get our point OP. your suggestion of making detonation only possible when they reach certain threshold doesn't make any sense. specially when we give sample like Hood, who pretty much didn't receive much damage when she go magazine by the germans. 

think about it. its his not the only game with mechanic like this. WoT has ammo rack chance. same goes with other game with tanks that i played (its bit more infuriating because they only happen when a premium ammo like APCR or heat rounds hit one of my ammo storage)

same goes on this game, they only happen when it met certain requirements and some RNG. e.g get hit by torpedo under the turrets, or HE shell landed under DD turret. they can be avoided by wearing that anti detonation flag or by simply adjusting your ship and choosing where torpedo or shell lands, and its not that hard to do.
there's nothing more satisfying than sending a full hp battleship to davy jones locker with  torpedoes :teethhappy:

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
177 posts
6,436 battles

If people feel that it add's their game then that's fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinion, even me :)

I didn't think much about the real life examples  as some form of sage argument with  peoples Aloha etc :) As if everyone doesn't realize it happens in real life.

The Hood got hit at long range through its light deck armor by a plummeting shell which hit a magazine I believe, there was that Italian Battle ship the Germans dropped a wire guided armor piercing bomb onto that went several decks down and went off in the forward gun turrets magazine etc. knowing all that means nothing to the game. 

I've detonated 2 people this weekend, both times I laughed :), but I also told them in open chat, bad luck its a stupid feature, but no apologies I didn't set it up to work that way.

It always seems to be at the start on a ship with almost full health and a hit that only just catches an edge, maybe it causes a spark lol.

I don't want to see it removed entirely, just trying to look for a way to make it very rare, and under circumstances the average player like myself will grudgingly say fair enough to. To me that would improve the game from a fun perspective, and most people play to have fun, granted in different ways. 

450 posts
7,896 battles

Well, in my opinion, detonation could be a 10s countdown to insta-death.

Would force you to use damage control else you blow up.

You get less frustration yet maintain the rare mechanic.

No way man, the  chance of detonation is already low. and DD damage control reload pretty fast (60sec for the normal one). 

Unless the main gun(s) will be destroyed throughout the game

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,859 battles

Imo, detonation victims should have their repair cost halved. It really felt crappy losing 150k+ credits before you could do anything.