Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Brendoonigan

CV Captains skills

7 comments in this topic

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Hi guys

Needing help with the captains skills on CV captains by seeing what's the best options for both CV lines.

For the IJN captain (L8) I have gone for

1. Basics of survivability

2. Torpedo bomber expert loader

3. Faster torps

4. Planning on faster servicing

5. I guess it's either CE (seems like a waste) or Air Supremacy

US line, (Just got the Langley) I'm thinking

1. Rear gunner

2. Torp gunner reload

3. Faster torps or dog fighting expert?

4. Faster servicing

5. I guess it's either CE (seems like a waste) or Air Supremacy

I'm planning on retraining the captains as it seems the best option, now that the retraining costs have improved. There seems to be such a limited array of options for them but I'm thinking that there might be a slight difference which I'm not aware of yet and as I want to keep the captain I want to make sure I get it right from the start.

Thanks Guys.

Edited by Ensign_Brendoonigan

Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles

AS is a no brainer really. Specially for USN. I know that much even without playing CV.

Take rear gunner after you have first 15 points, not before that, its a useless skill. Better take BFT at 16th.

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

It's the same for all CV regardless of nationality.

- BoS (Rear gunner is useless when enemy Fighters could just strafe you)

- Torp bomber reload (the only time you don't need it is using Fighter loadout on USN CV, but that loadout has little practical purpose since you're relying on your team to win the match doing so)

- Torp acceleration (I tried playing CV without this skill and it's just very difficult to make Torp Bomber work, beside dogfighting expert is useless now with all these recent CV matchmaking changes)

- Aircraft Service expert (a must have on USN CV, on IJN CV it's less important but other skills are more questionable).

- Air Supremacy (Take this regardless of what CV or loadout you use, it's the decisive advantage no question)

I wish CV skills had more variety to choose from, and removing Air Supremacy would be wonderful for balance cuz right now it's just breaking overpowered.

930 posts

Tier 1: Either BoS or ERG. ERG is nice for high tier carriers since they're very maneuverable and can fool enemy fighters into an unsuccessful strafe.

Tier 2: TAE no doubt. 

Tier 3: Torpedo Boost seems pointless (I am yet to see the difference yet). Dogfighting expert is only good if you plan to keep a low tier carrier (Tier IV-VIII) so High Alert would be most favorable if you plan to train your CO for a Tier X carrier

Tier 4: ASE no doubt. Disregard other skills (unless you have a 19 point commander, you can go for either Manual AA, Survivability Expert or that thing that gives more HP, or AFT. If you're a US carrier, you might also want to get Demo Expert)

Tier 5: Air Supremacy perk would be the most favorable though some COs would prefer not getting an AS perk to save a few more planes for extra reserves though they would rely heavily on strafing to win against fighters and a hasty bombing techniques since the fighter's job is to buy the bombers a lot of time to deliver their payload. I don't know other alternatives for a Tier 5 perk though.

331 posts
17,087 battles

I don't have a 15 point CV captain yet so take the level 5 skill with a grain of salt.

level 1: BFT or BoS expert rear gunner is nearly useless when most captains get behind and strafe

Level 2 TAE the rest are not that useful except maybe last stand.

Level 3: dogfighting epert to T7 above that either: superintendent, Torp acceleration or High alert. If youre a strike USN Cv at T7 or T8 don't bother with Dogfighting expert

Level 4: ASE the extra  speed on servicing and boost to plane hp makes this a must get.

Level 5: Air Supremacy for IJN at T7 and above and Saipan. for usn CVs. For T4 to T6 CVs i would pick concealment expert. For USN  T7 and above its a toss up between AS or concealment expert. The USN CVs have terrible concealment that is on par with BBs.

Beta Tester
106 posts
2,843 battles

My IJN CV captain (level 15):

1. Expert Rear Gunner

2. Torpedo Armament Expertise

3. Torpedo Acceleration

4. Aircraft Servicing Expert

5. Air Supremacy

My USN CV captain (level 16):

1. Expert Rear Gunner & Basic Firing Training

2. Torpedo Armament Expertise

3. Torpedo Acceleration

4. Aircraft Servicing Expert

5. Air Supremacy

Plain and standard, but effective. Why fix what isn't broken, right?

Sign in to follow this