You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DanLBob

Been away for six months, what mods to use?

23 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

So I've been off playing with modern tonks for the last six months and waiting to see if WG finally gets their thumbs out of their collective arses and add the RN here. Modern tonks NA server is ailing and my son has been bugging to play some warsheeps so despite the thumbs still being firmly rectally engaged I downloaded the 11GB on the weekend and have played a few battles. I'm wondering what mods I should look at using? I always just used Aslains pack for WoT and that was my first port of call for WoWS but it seems his modpack is offline at the moment so where else can I get pretty colours etc?

Dan

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,499 battles

So I've been off playing with modern tonks for the last six months and waiting to see if WG finally gets their thumbs out of their collective arses and add the RN here. Modern tonks NA server is ailing and my son has been bugging to play some warsheeps so despite the thumbs still being firmly rectally engaged I downloaded the 11GB on the weekend and have played a few battles. I'm wondering what mods I should look at using? I always just used Aslains pack for WoT and that was my first port of call for WoWS but it seems his modpack is offline at the moment so where else can I get pretty colours etc?

Dan

Well the WOWS devs have included much of what was good in Aslains - we now have smoke boundary  indicators, damage counters etc. Unless you really want to customize the UI, the need for mods really isn't there like it used to be. Some of thee have to be turned on through options.

But Aslain's is probably still the way to go.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

have a look through the fan zone section.  Quite a few different mods/skins/packs in there.

(I can't recommend any as I use the vanilla client)

Super Tester
2,725 posts

WG integrated some mods into the game client so you don't have to download & install them: Damage Counter, minimap mod, some crosshair UI, & smoke border. These are enabled in the settings and IMO, they're enough.

Super Tester
802 posts

With all the improvements that have been made to the core game's UI, the only things I use are aesthetic mods for historical flags, smokeless shell trails, custom ship icons and the eurobeat torpedo warning. All of which will normally be found in Aslain's Mod pack.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

turret traverse module: even better than before. i use it on my IJN cruiser because their turret definitely need wd40. if only it will works faster on smaller caliber guns.

acceleration module: better for some cruiser who has low rudder-shift and best for destroyers.

other just stay on vanilla. e.g main armament modules for more turret hp and torpedo ftw. stay away from that -detonation chance on magazine they hardly help at all.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,288 posts

turret traverse module: even better than before. i use it on my IJN cruiser because their turret definitely need wd40. if only it will works faster on smaller caliber guns.

acceleration module: better for some cruiser who has low rudder-shift and best for destroyers.

other just stay on vanilla. e.g main armament modules for more turret hp and torpedo ftw. stay away from that -detonation chance on magazine they hardly help at all.

I think he meant game mods, not modules.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

I think he meant game mods, not modules.

oh my bad. i play vanilla all the way. i only use mods on single player game that i have installer on my pc.

Super Tester
7,553 posts
7,993 battles

Been away for six months, what mods to use?

Answer: NONE

The vanilla game is perfect without all those mods that will cause your client crash at random time and your team lose the battle...

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,416 battles

^best troll comment :P
Edited by R3negade

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

So one thing I really want is to be able to change the target overhead markers. I don't want to have to keep pressing alt to see the information I need. WoT let you set up what you wanted displayed but I can't find it in WoWS. Can I do it in game? Do I need a mod?

Dan

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

So one thing I really want is to be able to change the target overhead markers. I don't want to have to keep pressing alt to see the information I need. WoT let you set up what you wanted displayed but I can't find it in WoWS. Can I do it in game? Do I need a mod?

Dan

settings, alternate battle interface

Super Tester
630 posts
9,482 battles

Just saw this thread, I am a very heavy mod user and have been using mods since CBT, currently like people have said, most of the older mods have been integrated into the vanilla game or no longer updated, since aslain's isn't updated to 0.5.9.1, if you're willing to manually install your mods I would recomend the following mods:

Alt_Minimap - from the RU forums (you might need to do some google translate if u want to install this) it adds ship names to the minimap so you can use it to your advantage to guesstimate where which ship is where combined with the stock last positions now. Very useful to have.

Historical Flags - if you're into this, not everyone's cup of tea.

Hakabase ship icons/HP bars under team panels - a pretty useful mod that I normally use for the HP bars on the team panels that u can enable in the settings, however you need to be spotting the ship/be in line of sight range for it to update the HP on the side, also useful ship icons that tell you stats about each ship.

AP/HE shell tracers in blue/red colours - I prefer this mod here but all of them are kinda similar, useful to have but not critical. 

Not sure if your into Anime mods/Kancolle mods however pravda team has a good few skins/gui mods.

Otherwise previous mods I used to use have already been added into the vanilla game like smoke circles, damage counter, last positions and spotting circles on the minimap, ARP voices everywhere/national voices everywhere etc.

Sadly coloured killfeed, running lights and ship names in chat aren't updated anymore and three mods I do miss quite a bit.

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

settings, alternate battle interface

That's more like it but not quite. So its one or the other, no customizing? Do mods allow you choose exactly what you have displayed?

Dan

Super Tester
7,553 posts
7,993 battles

That's more like it but not quite. So its one or the other, no customizing? Do mods allow you choose exactly what you have displayed?

Dan

Is there a vanilla way to remove player names? That is a useless info for most cases for me.

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

Is there a vanilla way to remove player names? That is a useless info for most cases for me.

Yeah personally the alternate form is almost what I want but I would prefer if it had the Tier instead of the player name and I can access the name with the alt button.

Dan

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Yeah personally the alternate form is almost what I want but I would prefer if it had the Tier instead of the player name and I can access the name with the alt button.

Dan

Not that I know of Dan.  You'll have to hunt around for a mod.

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

Any idea why WG have chosen not to include the customisation that they had in WoT for the overhead markers? Seems a pretty retrograde step especially given their incorporation of mod features that have proven popular. Did the vast majority of players never utilize the customisation?

Dan