You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dai_san_gen

its just me or a ot player in asia server are unable to speak english

38 comments in this topic

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

Well considering that the Asia server covers well... Asia + Oceania its not that surprising that you have players who can't speak English due to them not being taught it or that they are not comfortable speaking/typing it. 

On the point of players ignoring F key commands, well there really isn't much helping that.

227 posts
2,651 battles

This is probably just a wild guess but, that might be why it's called the Asia server and not the English server. Radical concept I know.

Yeah, language barrier is the reason I play NA most of current time, on ASIA server, square is everywhere...

575 posts
5,354 battles

since most people silence when i ask or scheming something

or

ignoring some command/coordination in chat that people made

Pretty much. And I fault WG for not putting in a translation program to help bridge the language barrier with the available software out there to use.

[IMSDF]
Beta Tester
218 posts
4,648 battles

they can't understand yes..........which is so annoying....

and they are the main reason why your team loses very hard (Ranked battles I mean tho)

:honoring:

Edited by IJN_Akashi

265 posts
799 battles

Look at the bright side. At least there are less insults flinging around that everyone will understand since it will be in one's own mother tongue. Even english insult might go straight thru their head :P

753 posts
8,965 battles

Yeah, language barrier is the reason I play NA most of current time, on ASIA server, square is everywhere...

Pretty much. And I fault WG for not putting in a translation program to help bridge the language barrier with the available software out there to use.

they can't understand yes..........which is so annoying....

and they are the main reason why your team loses very hard (Ranked battles I mean tho)

What is annoying is those that blame the language barrier for their misfortunes in battle.

Any competent player should be able to understand what needs to be done to win a match at any stage of that match but unfortunately this is lacking in most who are more concerned about themselves rather than the team as a whole.

The hotkeys provided are more than sufficient to communicate during the course of a battle.

Super Tester
7,558 posts
7,993 battles

What is annoying is those that blame the language barrier for their misfortunes in battle.

Any competent player should be able to understand what needs to be done to win a match at any stage of that match but unfortunately this is lacking in most who are more concerned about themselves rather than the team as a whole.

The hotkeys provided are more than sufficient to communicate during the course of a battle.

There is no button that says an enemy DD is stalking on your port side.... or "start pushing", "fall back"...

Eurobeat already posted this some other thread, I also with we could customize the f button chat.

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,052 battles

You can also use Google translate, which when the boxes start appearing you know what is being said. Although it is a bit slow to do.

Beta Tester
125 posts
6,162 battles

Well, I had trouble understanding the title of the OP message, go figure.

Easy fix? As said many times, a more intuitive group messaging UI. One that's of course translated across the board. How hard would it be to say;

Don't shoot your guns at the start of the game as it gives away your position

Don't go there

Dont chase the CV as we are being capped out

Dont sail broadside to that BB!

Oops too late...

I would like some of these....

265 posts
799 battles

Not quite. Even the best-trained spec ops unit will be bogged down without effective and efficient comms. Gothic Serpent? Comms lag and poor planning. 1st Naval Battle of Guadalcanal? Same thing. In fact, that battle instigated the development of CIC in the US Navy. Eagle Claw? Same deal as Gothic Serpent

comms is important. There will be a misinterpretation of one's intention and comms is one way to minimize it

besides, this game is slow enough for you to type, it's not as fast as, like say, World of Landships

Edited by adnadi

205 posts
5,305 battles

Was just in a T7 game. Me in my ARP Ashigara, with a Myoko, Minekaze, and a Nagato were pushing the western flank in Fault Line, domination mode. We capped A and proceeded back towards the center of the map.

Our Nagato happily sailed on a northerly heading. We told him repeatedly that there was a Hatsuharu somewhere there and we were not going to  waste time chasing him as our Minekaze had decided to contest the B cap. He did not respond and kept going north.

He, naturally, died to a hail of torpedoes. I assume he did not understand us. Or had chat disabled. Although we were down our best BB for the majority of the game, the rest of the team did communicate their intentions well, either using the F keys or in chat.

/off topic

If clan wars are ever implemented here, clans based on nationality would be the norm, I guess. Not exactly a very social situation. Kinda exclusive and I guess fragment the community even more than it does now.

Sad that games like these can be so divisive instead of being inclusive, due to language and cultural barriers. I guess sports can bring people together, but e-sports only highlights the differences between us. Sigh.

227 posts
2,651 battles

I really hope there is a button for "Torps in water" so allied ship wont run into my torps (because they dont care their surrounding)

575 posts
5,354 battles

Sorry, but you're using a strawman argument. This is a team game, not one full of individuals. Even players who have some level of competency, can and will do things counter to what the team needs because they fail to understand what is being said in chat OR they ignore it believing they know better.

The hot keys are woefully inadequate to get across the point needed in a game where there are more languages and dialects involved than there are players on one team. Why they didn't use the commands from WoT tailoring it for this game is beyond understanding. At least that has the necessary commands to help communicate intent. This game's hot key commands are more social buttons than anything else.

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,499 battles

This is a team game, not one full of individuals. 

You must be playing a different game to me...just kidding, but expecting team play in Randoms is pretty optimistic IMHO. Sometime sit happens, but when I play I go in with low expectations to avoid disappointment / the urge to hit my keyboard with something heavy....

[IMSDF]
Beta Tester
218 posts
4,648 battles

I agree to adnadi, as he hits the jackpot.....

if you speak like that, probably because you are one of those who are not communicating and being an incompetent player that ruins a match ......a typical "play for fun" type of person :amazed:

if you are not even communicating for the sake of team coordination, go play co-op and spam on that game mode...we don't need players with that kind of mindset........go talk (even telepathic) to the bots...... 

:honoring:

Edited by IJN_Akashi

Super Tester
7,558 posts
7,993 battles

People are more worried about their grammar? Just type in, just the words even without any proper sentence structure are more than enough to describe a situation. Reluctant to communicate is just insulting your team mate who is asking for something. Not like people want you to write a poetic piece in the chat box, nor they expect your English to be IELTS worthy.

575 posts
5,354 battles

People are more worried about their grammar? Just type in, just the words even without any proper sentence structure are more than enough to describe a situation. Reluctant to communicate is just insulting your team mate who is asking for something. Not like people want you to write a poetic piece in the chat box, nor they expect your English to be IELTS worthy.

So? I can easily understand someone saying, "go here I, spot," or "detected DD by," or some other broken English sentence someone might try to use. At least the effort is made and many of us can discern their intent and meaning. It's those [][][][][][][] [][][] [][][][] that cause angst along with 555 or say nothing at all. Those famous F commands don't help either. People respond with F6 or F5 and keep going their merry way. This is a major issue that WG needs to address instead of letting it continue as they have with WoT. The fact they haven't addressed this speaks volumes of how little they care about it.
Edited by RebelliousYankee

39 posts
12,834 battles

If you are part of an international team playing a Russian game on an Asian server ... why would you expect everyone else to speak English?  Why not be a team player and try to communicate using the local languages?

Seriously, you don't have to learn another language - just use online translators to convert the common phrases you want to use into Japanese (Romaji = Japanese written using western alphabet) and Chinese (Pinyin = Chinese written using western alphabet).  English + Japanese + Chinese probably covers the majority of players on the Asian server.  Save the translations into a Word document.  Then, when you want to use a phrase, just cut-n-paste it into the Chat window.  I've used this method successfully. 

If you want to send a message to the entire team, use all three languages.  For an individual player, you can often guess their nationality by their ID, or just use all three.  It only takes a moment to cut-n-paste.  Of course, if they reply in their own language, you probably won't understand.  However, I think that in most cases, players are not seeking a discussion, but are just trying to communicate a simple message that does not need a reply, for example "Capture Area B", "Stay together" or "BBs please go north".

Here's a suggestion: How about we start a thread where anyone can suggest a phrase, then multilingual forum members can offer the best Japanese Romaji and Chinese Pinyin translations.  That would be much more accurate than using online translators. 

Maybe the thread could be translated and cross-posted into the Japanese and Chinese parts of the forum.  English speakers could help with the best translation suggestions for our Asian comrades' requests.

By working together on a thread like this, the WoWS Asian server community could create a way to break through the language barrier, enhance international team play, and enjoy our favorite game that much more. :)

Edited by Shanghai_Slim

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

If you are part of an international team playing a Russian game on an Asian server ... why would you expect everyone else to speak English?  Why not be a team player and try to communicate using the local languages?

Seriously, you don't have to learn another language - just use online translators to convert the common phrases you want to use into Japanese (Romaji = Japanese written using western alphabet) and Chinese (Pinyin = Chinese written using western alphabet).  English + Japanese + Chinese probably covers the majority of players on the Asian server.  Save the translations into a Word document.  Then, when you want to use a phrase, just cut-n-paste it into the Chat window.  I've used this method successfully. 

If you want to send a message to the entire team, use all three languages.  For an individual player, you can often guess their nationality by their ID, or just use all three.  It only takes a moment to cut-n-paste.  Of course, if they reply in their own language, you probably won't understand.  However, I think that in most cases, players are not seeking a discussion, but are just trying to communicate a simple message that does not need a reply, for example "Capture Area B", "Stay together" or "BBs please go north".

Here's a suggestion: How about we start a thread where anyone can suggest a phrase, then multilingual forum members can offer the best Japanese Romaji and Chinese Pinyin translations.  That would be much more accurate than using online translators. 

Maybe the thread could be translated and cross-posted into the Japanese and Chinese parts of the forum.  English speakers could help with the best translation suggestions for our Asian comrades' requests.

By working together on a thread like this, the WoWS Asian server community could create a way to break through the language barrier, enhance international team play, and enjoy our favorite game that much more. :)

Great idea - Start the thread and it'll be watched over to make sure things stay civil

Super Tester
1,296 posts
9,726 battles

Your point about being entering Russian server and expected everyone using english, however, is questionable.

1. It is the player's decision to enter a server based on their language preference.

2. its the same case for non-english speaking players in SEA to enter NA server and expected everyone to use their own native language.

This would have been a good suggestion, sadly, only 1/4 of the server population actually visits the forum, so good luck convincing the rest of the 9k-10k population with their respective native language (vietnamese, Korean, Thai, Malay, Indo, Philippines, Tamil). The reason why everyone is complaining about this English issue is that the World is using that language in contemporary practice, with Chinese/Manderin comes in second, at least according to the international understanding of the world. And 3rd world country's education system tend to be nationalistic (yes, i've come from one of these countries and currently a language and culture student in Straya), therefore creating their perception of 'world view', thinking that the world revolves around them and speaks their native tongues, which in reality, its not. My point is, requesting people to adopt this method may be hard as some people define their own 'fun', rather than WG or competitive players dictate the definition of 'fun', so its not surprising we see players that just doesn't care what is happening in their surroundings and continue their path with their individual definitions of 'fun'. We must also take into consideration that players ranges from 12 year olds to adults, so assuming that 3/4 of the server population are not adults and are from various SEA countries with their perception of 'world view', its still not going to solve the issue of poor gameplay.

Also, certain groups of people tend to use their local social media (sometimes not) rather than the official forums as a means of a gameplay guide, especially the chinese (Taiwan and China included) and Japanese players, so its still questionable whether the method you have proposed its still effective in its current state.

Honestly, the best way to deal with this language barrier (which i have posted in the past) is just division with people that speaks your language, and stop playing the game if you're getting ridiculous matches and [][][][][][][][] and doing none of the necessary steps to bring victory in that one match. Because arguing with them in your native language that the other party doesn't understand its not going to solve the issue other than chat bans.

'It is generally agreed that an individual has all the characteristics of the good values and none of the bad, but since its in the nature of life that one cannot practice all these qualities most of the time, then take it as it comes.'

Edited by HeroOfWind