You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Peanutflower

Imperator Nicolai

35 comments in this topic

26 posts
1,989 battles

Ok so first of all this post is just me basically fan-girling over the Imperator Nicolai I. Before I get into the long and monotonous ramble that is about to occur I need to get a few things straight. Firstly and most unfortunately I do not actually own a Imperator Nicolai myself, I truly wish I got into World of Warships when it was actually available so I could buy it. Now, I don't just like the Imperator Nicolai for its, how shall we say, 'balanced' nature, I also like it for the looks, the nation it belongs to (yes I do like all of the Russian ships in the game, no I don't own them all) and finally I like the history behind it.

Firstly the look of the ship is somewhat similar to the Imperatritsa Mariya-class before it and the Gangut-class before that in the way that much of the deck was taken up by its main battery. In all three of these classes of ships most of the deck is taken up by four large turrets, each mounting three guns in each. These formidable guns are all centreline mounted allowing for all the guns to fire to both sides of the ship. Up at the front of the ship behind the first turret lies a compact superstructure that is somewhat typical of the ww1 era Russian Battleships. The superstructure is similar in the Japanese Pagoda style mast in the way that some people love it and some people hate it. I personally love the superstructure of the Imperator Nicolai. This may be due to the fact that some of my favourite ships are from the Russo-Japanese war as well as some of the ww1 designs and they too have a similar superstructure. Some of my favourite ships in the game to look at, the stock Kongo, the stock Fuso and the Ishizuchi both share a similar minimalistic design with the Imperator Nicolai I. Another thing the Imperator Nicolai I shares with the ships mentioned before (except from the Ishizuchi) is the fact that is has torpedo nets equipped along the side of the ship, look wise I think this looks good because it helps break up some of the flat surfaces on the ship. The camouflage also looks good and is the same as the Aurora another ship that I love the look of dearly. The secondary batteries arranged along the side of the ship are not evenly spaced but this actually gives the ship the feeling of immense size as compared to the large amount of the ship that is above water they look very small. The turrets  are placed on two decks the first one is on a raised deck at the front of the ship and the other three are on a lower deck that spans the rest of the ship. At the very front of the ship is the ensign if the Imperial Russian Navy.

The ship itself was built as a counter to Ottoman plans to acquire three new dreadnoughts which would be very ban news for the Russians. The design of the ship differs slightly from predeceasing Russian dreadnoughts as the armour belt stretches all the way to the bow of the ship, this coupled with the orientation of the guns means that it is an extremely powerful ship when it is bow in.

Anyway if anyone could actually be bothered reading this far through it then, well, here is a pat on the back! Anyway I have gotten my fan-girling out of the way, for now.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I have bad news and good news

Good news is:

It is tier 4 premium ship which is affordable

she is very strong and due the lack of super structure, she is not very vulnerable against HE

Bad news is:

due to her Near OP performance she won;t be sold again

she has Mother Russia strength, they won;t dare to nerf her

26 posts
1,989 battles

I was just in a battle with one and he got first blood and double strike one after the other, it was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

575 posts
5,354 battles

It is a brilliantly OP BB.

Worth every cent.

I wouldn't go that far. It has 3 huge problems that hurt it.

1. Easy pickings for a CV player knowing what they are doing as the Nikolai has really crappy AA.

2. No Preferred match making as the other tier IV premium BBs have.

3. Slow and it really shows this against tier V and tier VI BBs and CAs.

If it facing it's tier IV only, it is a beast; however, a tier IV CV can put a serious hurt on it depending on the CV player. Against tier V it can hold its own if it gets in close, it will eat tier V BBs when in knife fighting range. But to say it is 'brilliantly OP,' is not quite true. Overpowered, yes for the most part. But not as you describe it.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,290 posts

I should have clarified it more.

Brilliantly OP in tier 4 & 5 battles.

Yes it's AA is craptacular, but if there are no CV's - 12 guns of devastation at the ready!

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,001 battles

PRSB001_zpsffkakhb0.png

Imperator Nikolai I

Winning percentage: 58.72% 
The average grant Damage: 41 091 
Avg. Frags 1.08 
Kill / Death Ratio: 2.21 

its one of them sigma ships . its devastating 

Average stats are unusually good for T4. However, I've seen it struggle in T5 matches.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,290 posts

I've obliterated a few Kongo's in one salvo with this BB.

Can't say that I've done that with any other tier 4 BB.

The only other ship I've done it with was the Warspite.

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,001 battles

I've obliterated a few Kongo's in one salvo with this BB.

Can't say that I've done that with any other tier 4 BB.

The only other ship I've done it with was the Warspite.

Oh I one shot Kongo from Myogi once. Battlecruiser armor. I one shot Kongo from various ships (Nagato, New Mexico, Fuso, Colorado etc, well for their shell caliber its almost given) so far. Kongo is the only BB that I ever one shot. Also, one shot is not a necessary thing, nor it is mandatory for someone / some ship to be good.

266 posts
5,142 battles

It is a brilliantly OP BB.

Worth every cent.

Agreed. Buying Nikolai was one of the best decision I've ever made in my life. 

That feel when you're bow-on tanking hits from a new mexico plus two kongos and lived to tell the tale...

231 posts
3,548 battles

Agreed. Buying Nikolai was one of the best decision I've ever made in my life. 

That feel when you're bow-on tanking hits from a new mexico plus two kongos and lived to tell the tale...

AGREED

231 posts
3,548 battles

Average stats are unusually good for T4. However, I've seen it struggle in T5 matches.

its one of them ships where you have to watch where you are on the minimap constantly , and i mean attacking the right ships to do maximum damage 

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,001 battles

its one of them ships where you have to watch where you are on the minimap constantly , and i mean attacking the right ships to do maximum damage 

I would buy it.... but sad thing I wont be able to.

575 posts
5,354 battles

Well, since we're sharing stats on this ship, I'll add mine to the mix.

Battles: 76

W/R: 67.11%

Avg Dam: 46,829

Avg XP: 1,121

K/D: 2.5

Surv: 50%

MBH: 26%

WTR: 1,060

And here's a replay I did on 7/28 that was picked up by Jammin411 on WoWS replays. Though it was a losing effort, I had fun all the same. Oh yeah Adm_Dude and Lengxv6 were in this one too.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,290 posts

Well, since we're sharing stats on this ship, I'll add mine to the mix.

Battles: 76

W/R: 67.11%

Avg Dam: 46,829

Avg XP: 1,121

K/D: 2.5

Surv: 50%

MBH: 26%

WTR: 1,060

And here's a replay I did on 7/28 that was picked up by Jammin411 on WoWS replays. Though it was a losing effort, I had fun all the same. Oh yeah Adm_Dude and Lengxv6 were in this one too.

Good job.

You were showing your broadside way too much though (As he was stating).

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

I've got a question for current owners: How would you feel about the Nikolai being balanced properly for Tier IV? Would it be upsetting to have it brought back into line with the other Tier IV Battleships?

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,704 battles

Nice post for the OP. There was some nice factual information in that post. 

Aesthetically the Imperator Nikolai is unique at tier 4. That lack of superstructure and AA makes it fun to seal club  err plat at tier 4.

I rarely have a bad game in her. 

I doubt that they would nerf this ship. She may be a reward in future for a comp or something but other than that she will club her way past the enemy fleet. 

Btw as  t4 cv i target these vessels on the opfor team. No AA and a slow turn makes them easy damage prey.

575 posts
5,354 battles

Good job.

You were showing your broadside way too much though (As he was stating).

Sure by design. The South Carolina, Wyoming, and Myogi are notoriously bad at hitting with their main weapons. However, I was still angled enough to deflect most of what they fired at me. Then again, when it was 4 on me, there was no really good angle to take to avoid all that incoming fire, at least that was my line of thinking during that massive melee.

575 posts
5,354 battles

I've got a question for current owners: How would you feel about the Nikolai being balanced properly for Tier IV? Would it be upsetting to have it brought back into line with the other Tier IV Battleships?

Most assuredly. This ship passed through testing (internal and external) and was deemed a good ship. However, now after a period of time it is all of the sudden deemed OP? While it is a terror at its own tier it still has issues that a good player can serious exploit. DDs can have a field day with it. CVs can eat it for lunch. It's a very strong ship but has too many flaws in my opinion to be considered ridiculously OP. Had they given it strong AA, faster speed, faster rudder shift, sure it would be ridiculously OP, but they didn't. However, that's my opinion as an owner of this ship and seeing how good and how bad it is in those areas I've mentioned.