You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
epojokke

The Langley is OP

42 comments in this topic

266 posts
5,142 battles

Ehh, I've tried both, and I still like the Hosho much more than Langley. I dunno if it's just me, but everything about USN CV feels really slow compared to IJN CV...

783 posts
4,826 battles

Ehh, I've tried both, and I still like the Hosho much more than Langley. I dunno if it's just me, but everything about USN CV feels really slow compared to IJN CV...

Well, they do have slower speed so you aren't imagining it.

USN CVs Tiers 4-6 is pretty beast though. If you don't have DFAA on your cruiser and the TBs get a good drop then it's gg. It's a plenty good thing not all low tier CV captains are seal clubbers, or else I won't be able to progress that much unless it's a no CV match.

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,037 battles

Well, they do have slower speed so you aren't imagining it.

USN CVs Tiers 4-6 is pretty beast though. If you don't have DFAA on your cruiser and the TBs get a good drop then it's gg. It's a plenty good thing not all low tier CV captains are seal clubbers, or else I won't be able to progress that much unless it's a no CV match.

Yep, the USN CV line starts and ends with just 1 torpedo bomber squadron max. At high tiers, it can deal about 75% of a cruiser or about 33-50% of a BB. At low tiers, oneshotting cruisers with it is a trivial matter.

That said, OP... Please reconsider your opinion. The Langley is quite possibly the only USN CV that performs equal to or better than IJN CVs of the same tier. Literally every other tier has IJN CVs being better overall than USN ones (to various extents).

Edited by stratmania

50 posts
14 battles

He only did 88,000 damage in this game. I've done 150,000 damage in this ship before but I have a lot of experience with CV

And no, Langey is not overpowered.

150,000 damage sounds nearly impossible unless you had that perfect game with complete noobs who don't know how to repair flooding and fires.

But grats to you no matter what.

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,037 battles

150,000 damage sounds nearly impossible unless you had that perfect game with complete noobs who don't know how to repair flooding and fires.

You usually need dumb BB captains in numbers for that, but yes its possible (thats a very very high number for T4)

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

I was quite surprised at the result as well. But this is the strength of US carriers at lower tier. Using the torpedo and bomb combo you'll rack up a huge amount of damage and I only attacked battleships so I no damage was went to waste. 

Forgive me seals 

403 posts
8,209 battles

I remember back in the first days of the game going live Langley only had 1 Fighter and 1 torpedo squadron. THAT was overpowered and I still have fond memories of completely evaporating Hosho squads and farming clear skies

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,037 battles

I remember back in the first days of the game going live Langley only had 1 Fighter and 1 torpedo squadron. THAT was overpowered and I still have fond memories of completely evaporating Hosho squads and farming clear skies

If you can limit/nullify your losses, the current Langley is even better. It can DoT stack properly and has the IJN DB circle (though the DBs have T3 HP).

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,187 battles

Can i ask what makes the Langley and the planes effective?
I have one and I do "ok" in it but I struggle to regularly perform near the level you guys describe above?

Tee

Super Tester
802 posts

I have one and I do "ok" in it but I struggle to regularly perform near the level you guys describe above?

Tee

Inexperience of players coupled with the lower manoeuvrability of tier 3-5 battleships

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Tee

Most describe the characteristics as though the player is experienced with them- ie, optimal.

Hypothetical potentials. Possible, but not always executable.

Beta Tester
434 posts
3,187 battles

Ok, thanks.

What is a torp and burn tactic?
Is this spreading out the time of attack between a tb and db attack, so the ship repairs one and not the other?

If so, what makes the Langley or the US better at it?

Tee

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Ok, thanks.

Is this spreading out the time of attack between a tb and db attack, so the ship repairs one and not the other?

Tee

Basically it.

Strike-loadout USN CVs excel in DPS-stacking because all strike squadrons have a high damage potential on their own. You can set two fires with one DB squadron and deal 6k+ alpha, wait for damage control, then use even more dive bombers- This makes them especially potent when properly timed. Their resilience to AA also makes them better at engaging high-AA targets, the loss of half a dive/torpedo squadron will not affect them as severely as the IJN equivalent.

Comparatively, IJN strike squadrons have limited loadouts, and easily-disrupted planes. Shooting down even two bombers in a squadron is enough to nullify any bomber squadron's potential damage. This is also coupled with inferior bomb and torpedo damage compared to USN loadouts.

The downside is that USN CV loadouts are often too specialized unless using the stock loadout- Which possess 1 less plane squadron. They either excel in AA or damage-dealing, but not the other. The balanced loadout gives a bit of both, but suffers from the lack of another dive bomber/fighter squadron. They lack versatility, but make up for it by being the top in one field.

Of bloody course, the people who don't accept these facts want more USN CV buffs because they can't work without FI/TBs.

199 posts
6,041 battles

Ok, thanks.

Tee

If I'm right (Please fix it if I'm wrong), this tactic is quite simple. First, you attack a specific enemy ship with your Torpedo Bombers (And hope she got a flooding). Second, wait until she use the Damage Control (Usually it last around 5 seconds(Cruisers)/10 seconds (IJN BB) or 20 seconds (US BB). Third, after waiting for the DamCon to wear off, you sent all of your Dive Bombers to attack that ship (Pray for a lot of fires). Fourth, profit! You'll get a nice DoT because of the flames.

What makes Langley and the rest of US CVs the best at doing this:

1. One squadron have 6 planes. More planes = more chances to hit the target (More torpedoes in the water, more bombs hitting the ship). And iirc, more planes = less chance of planes getting shot down.
  2. US CV's Dive Bombers have the best dispersion. So, their Dive Bombers have higher chances to hit the ship.
  3. The higher your US CV's tier, the bigger the bombs you drop on your enemies. Bigger = more damage.

Edit: Got Ninja'ed. Stein already mentioned the negative side of the US CVs

Edited by Delta_Sierra