You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SZYZWY

Tanking?

18 comments in this topic

783 posts
4,819 battles

I just had one hell of a game. Not because it was close(well, it was kind of), but more of a 'staying alive'.

From the start of the match, Zao and Dmitri just lobbing HE at me. Mid-way, it was the Baltimore and a Fletcher with occasional Shima torps(F3 too, got our own Zao and NC) and I already used 3 of my heals at 30k HP, still contributing little to the team. Enemy Hindenburg was being an Atlanta at A. In a last ditch moment, got into a <5km brawl with a Montana with only 16k HP left. He salvo'd while I was angled while I salvo'd when he was broadside giving me the cits. Left with 2k HP, Hindenburg still shooting at me, torps were thrown just near, with Shima in smoke lobbing HE at me, then the match...

lHJ6W0E.jpg

Ended in a clutch. Being bottom tier sucks usually but there is a certain happiness in being the focused target for most of the match and still surviving after using all 5 heals. shiawase da~

(It was partly my fault since I do like to charge head on)

Results:

CnMyni3.jpg

KWEAr10.jpg

No, it wasn't really a great game if I just look at my damage values and the team did a better job in that department. It just got me thinking of actually incorporating a tanking system that is rewarded. I did search around and there were topics about it, especially with points on how it shouldn't just be proportional to HP since it will encourage YOLO maneuvers and how it could incorporate bouncing(ricochet) shells. Mainly curiosity.

For the sake of discussion, how do you feel about tanking? Should it be rewarded? How would you go about it? Are you satisfied with what we have now?

I honestly won't really change my playstyle regardless. Dealing damage is fun but I think getting hit and "feeling the heat of battle" while doing so is more fun.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I could tank more damage with my Atago than those puny cowardice battleship

Hence the dreadnought Award and flags

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

certain happiness in being the focused target for most of the match and still surviving

so your body has awoken to a new  fetish? :hiding:

eWiG6A5.jpg

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

I could tank more damage with my Atago than those puny cowardice battleship

Hence the dreadnought Award and flags

reason why i wanted damage repair on tier 8 cruiser too even if its only 1 charge (up to 3 including premium and superintendent) because there are times i found my allied bb just camping at base too afraid to get their ship pain scratched.

783 posts
4,819 battles

so your body has awoken to a new  fetish? :hiding:

eWiG6A5.jpg

My Favorite Teitoku to be honest when it comes to KC stuff.

I can only dream to be as badass as him, or be as M as him. :hiding:

You were a damage pinata while the rest of your team did the rest.

Be proud.

Such a thing is rarely seen.

I want a prize~

that isn't a bunch of flags.

Edited by SZYZWY

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

My Favorite Teitoku to be honest when it comes to KC stuff.

I can only dream to be as badass as him, or be as M as him. :hiding:

I want a prize~

that isn't a bunch of flags.

You did the exact same thing without needing spotlights.

Be proud.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Charging head on with the Amagi is kinda suicidal though since it only has 4 front facing guns and weak armour. It's better for being next to the cruisers to provide broadside fires while not being focused down

266 posts
5,142 battles

I do think tanking should be rewarded. But rather than taking damage, I think the definition of the tanking should be changed to 'how long you're being shot at and survive'. So it's kind of like a points that increases every time enemy shells/torps landed on or near you.

That way, a cruiser or destroyer who's better at dodging shells instead of taking shells with their armor can also be treated as 'tanking'. And I think it can prevents abuse by going yolo at the start of the match. I'm not 100% sure about this, though.

Btw, that's a nice game. I wish I can see more battleships players like you in my team... :(

Edited by AsakuraShinji

[AUSNZ]
420 posts
16,015 battles

Very well played in the Amagi there, that is what i like to do in my North Carolina I stick my nose in and get half the enemy team to start focusing me. While I often don't get massive damage games my Div mates can play with greater freedom and we can either hold/turn the flank, I believe Tanking is an underappreciated part of this game and Kudos to you for enjoying it :D

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Some battleship cant tank that well, especialy if 2 tier down, Its ok to rather Pasive in that situation

however if BB is Top Tier, and can took hits easily I belive its better to play more agresive.

I remember 1 game where a Colorado playing snipe till the end, not even a scracth nor a kill, and we ended up lost - that just very awfull

Super Tester
7,543 posts
7,982 battles

As a front line BB player, I tank almost all the game to some extent. I usually get killed before I could heal up. I remember one Colorado game where I was chased by enemy Myoko and Cleveland the whole game. It was in the map Estuary, I was just running behind cover to cover and healing up when possible. I ignored both of them completely and kept dealing heavy blows to broadsided enemies somewhere else (because Myoko are OP and I never do damage to them, and Cheatlands are pathetic targets to shoot at). 

At one point I wrote in my team chat that I am going into hiding still I can heal back up. Since my Colorado detection is a bit good, I was able to use the last heal, and holy shit this ship can heal. when I came back to fight again I was almost 18000 Hp and took my revenge on that lame Myoko and Cheatland player who forgot about the game and fall in love for my ugly Colorado butt. I'm sure they were surprised. No ship can tank like Colorado. And this is the only time I ran out of heal and didn't die before the game ends. Ofcourse we won that match.

Now, there are lot of players do this, they chase a ship out of the map, a ship far from battleground is not a threat, if you waste your time on them when you are needed elsewhere, its their win. The less people understand that the better for players like me.

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

For the sake of discussion, how do you feel about tanking? Should it be rewarded? How would you go about it? Are you satisfied with what we have now?

I honestly won't really change my playstyle regardless. Dealing damage is fun but I think getting hit and "feeling the heat of battle" while doing so is more fun.

I think they should show a stat on how much fire was aimed at you, and give rewards to captains who receive fire (ie locked on by enemy team), based on how many shots were aimed at them, give out xp based on the %of damage thrown at you.  That would encourage BBs to tank shells and actually reward gameplay.

[LLBC]
747 posts
6,859 battles

I think they should show a stat on how much fire was aimed at you, and give rewards to captains who receive fire (ie locked on by enemy team), based on how many shots were aimed at them, give out xp based on the %of damage thrown at you.  That would encourage BBs to tank shells and actually reward gameplay.

That should includes torpedoes too. I was once dancing around with an enemy IJN dd that tried to capture my base. My team won, but ended up losing credits because I ate too much torp and did not do enough damage to make up for it.

563 posts
4,686 battles

I read a Q&A stating that the devs is thinking about rewarding tanking and spotting. They begin collecting server data, and maybe we'll get it in a few months, just wait. Forget the link tough

Beta Tester
545 posts
2,381 battles

you where hiding behind an island in a BB ?? i suppose i cant blame you , you will get almost no support in random games 

783 posts
4,819 battles

you where hiding behind an island in a BB ?? i suppose i cant blame you , you will get almost no support in random games 

It was moments after the Montana duel. Got stuck there due to the need to angle. With only seconds from winning via points too.

Just clarifying that my team actually did a good job at support, only that the enemy team targeted me a lot more for some reason.

I rarely hide unless it's a 'for the win' situation which does get me killed a lot I admit.

That should includes torpedoes too. I was once dancing around with an enemy IJN dd that tried to capture my base. My team won, but ended up losing credits because I ate too much torp and did not do enough damage to make up for it.

I do think tanking should be rewarded. But rather than taking damage, I think the definition of the tanking should be changed to 'how long you're being shot at and survive'. So it's kind of like a points that increases every time enemy shells/torps landed on or near you.

That way, a cruiser or destroyer who's better at dodging shells instead of taking shells with their armor can also be treated as 'tanking'. And I think it can prevents abuse by going yolo at the start of the match. I'm not 100% sure about this, though.

Really good points. Mixing them all up, it goes like: "System should count how many shells, torps were thrown at you and for how long and calculate a reward for being able to 'take' them for the team". That way, bad plays like showing citadels won't be that rewarded as much as angling and bouncing shots to mitigate damage.
Edited by SZYZWY