You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Mister_Teatime

Help with Cleveland and Nurnberg

10 comments in this topic

151 posts
10,475 battles

Hey guys,

Just wondered if other players are struggling with these ships. I am slowly making my way through all ship lines together and so far have reached Colorado, Mahan and Kiev - and am making good progress with Buddy, Aoba and Fuso (and loving each). However, I am really struggling with Nurnberg and Cleveland. I rarely, if ever, am on a winning side with these (partially my fault as I can never do much in them); I just can't work out a successful way to play either ship.

With both Buddy and Aoba I hang back firing HE against higher tier ships and only close in with AP against solo CAs or badly wounded BBs - and this seems to work well;I get a lot of exp and damage, and feel like I can contribute to the team; against lower Tier ships I find the Aoba can be pretty tanky and lay torp traps; and the Buddy can use its speed to go in hard against DDs and other CAs and even get early caps and carry some matches. 

But with both Cleveland and Nurnberg I don't feel effective from range (+12km) and, particularly with Nurnberg, I just get citadelled from all angles if I try and close in. I'd like to try some of the higher tier cruisers in both lines and am loathe to use free exp (i try and save it for modules; it apparently saved me some pain with Colorado - which I love). 

Has anyone found a way to play in these? 

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Mister_Teatime

784 posts
4,856 battles

Can only relate to the Nurnberg, and I guess you should be able to conserve your HP much more effectively by playing like an Atlanta. Hug a lot of islands and poke your aft to get two turrets worth of salvos while being protected. Charging from said islands also help as the armor scheme is pretty wonky at close range fights against BBs.(If I angle, it results in getting hit by cits, but if I give my broadside, lots of overpens). Another playstyle involves lobbing HE at max range. It can reliably hit BBs as long as your know your aim but is pretty difficult to do against cruisers. Closing in against other cruisers is also good when the situation dictates a 1v1 or an advantage to your side since your AP is potent. Another choice is being a DD hunter by equiping sonar and jumping in at opportunities at which you can do DD hunting. 9 shells every 6 seconds maintaining a ~30 degree angle against a DD is no joke.

Most of these however pretty much require you NOT to be the center of attention.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

for the cleve: go a little in front of the BBs but make sure there is a DD in front of you or an allied cruiser. Spam HE on anything except broadside cruisers or even battleships broadside at close range (good salvos make 10k per 8 seconds on BB) keep setting fires and get DoT. If you see a DD then give them freedom shells while actively dodging torpedoes

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

To be rather successful with Cleveland at longer range engagements it really does come down to practice. Your friend is the HE shell with Cleveland, and your first goal is to always set ships on fire and keep them burning. If you close in for some brawling with other CAs swap to AP for anything showing you its broadside under 8km and HE if they show you a bow or stern aspect or are greater than 8km. 

My Cleveland build is as follows:

BFT, Situational Awareness

Expert Marksman

Vigilence

AFT + Manual AA

I also have the AA Upgrades and premium DF installed.

As you may be able to tell, I can give CVs (up to T8) a huge headache. Anything ASuW is just general brawling or releasing my inner pyro. As for CE or DE I honestly don't think you need it to be good with the ship. I don't use them and it's one of my best performing ships.

Just need get used to longer target leads with Cleveland's sub orbital shells and you'll start to land shots and set ships on fire.

If there are only DDs and other CAs then move forward and clear the route as best as you can, if BBs are present stay somewhere between your DDs and BBs and help your DDs clear out enemy DDs and CAs, once that's done you can drop back a bit and keep the enemy BBs on fire. That's usually how I play it.

Edited by ADM_dude

507 posts
9,829 battles

Cleveland is not a ship that you stay in the back with. Find those islands and sling your shots over them. You can pretty much solo kill T5 BB if you know what you are doing. 

the Trick with the Cleveland is that you have to stay alive as the match progresses into the later stages. And fires are your major source of damage against BB's at long ranges, once your'e close AP all the way.

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,792 battles

About Nurnburger, don't go close to anything that can fire AP shells from and over 203mm. No amount of angling will save you.

yup. Its is an AP sniper. Wonderful flats trajectory, paper armour. Ive had some success moving a bit forward, then doing a 180 near cover and just using the rear guns. The Nurenberg feels like a bit of a downgrade from the Kongsberg since the Konigs received the turret rotation buff. Its not the easiest ship to play, I find often I do reasonable damage, but if the team melts its not a good ship to try to carry in.

Cleveland is a very different ship. VERYvsmall citadels. HE is your go to round until you get close enough that your shell arc flattens out. And of course it has that awesome AA.  Advance and angle.

Super Tester
730 posts
3,260 battles

Never got past the Konigsberg, but for me the Cleveland it's HE spam all the way. Hang back just a little behind the CLs in Tier IV-VI games and stick with or just slightly ahead of the BBs in Tier V-VII games and you can rack up the hits in the hundreds easily. Of course, if there are small to medium sized islands like on the new dawn map, become an american DD and shoot people while they can't shoot you back, it's like an oversized DD minus the torpedo and smoke.

Always remember to prioritize punishing destroyers if they get too close, and farm plane kills by covering your team with your insane AA, because torpedoes are difficult to dodge until you get the vigilance commander skill. Don't bother with AP unless an enemy gets under 7km, because almost anything above that it is nearly impossible to citadel with the high flying gun trajectory. And no, it rarely citadels at long ranges despite the plunging fire because after all, the Cleveland only has 152mm guns in contrast with the (magnificent) 203mm guns of the Aoba.

If you are unfortunate enough to get in a Tier VI-VIII game, you can either brawl and hope the enemy doesn't focus fire you, or hang back and provide air cover until the end of the game where you rack up some kills on low health enemies.

Don't sail in a straight line, don't show your broadside (despite the tiny citadels), support your DDs and you will have a whale of a time with the Cleveland.

Edited by pwnies5600

Super Tester
7,793 posts
8,043 battles

Never got past the Konigsberg, but for me the Cleveland it's HE spam all the way. Hang back just a little behind the CLs in Tier IV-VI games and stick with or just slightly ahead of the BBs in Tier V-VII games and you can rack up the hits in the hundreds easily. Of course, if there are small to medium sized islands like on the new dawn map, become an american DD and shoot people while they can't shoot you back, it's like an oversized DD minus the torpedo and smoke.

Always remember to prioritize punishing destroyers if they get too close, and farm plane kills by covering your team with your insane AA, because torpedoes are difficult to dodge until you get the vigilance commander skill. Don't bother with AP unless an enemy gets under 7km, because almost anything above that it is nearly impossible to citadel with the high flying gun trajectory. And no, it rarely citadels at long ranges despite the plunging fire because after all, the Cleveland only has 152mm guns in contrast with the (magnificent) 203mm guns of the Aoba.

If you are unfortunate enough to get in a Tier VI-VIII game, you can either brawl and hope the enemy doesn't focus fire you, or hang back and provide air cover until the end of the game where you rack up some kills on low health enemies.

Don't sail in a straight line, don't show your broadside (despite the tiny citadels), support your DDs and you will have a whale of a time with the Cleveland.

I never played Cleveland, but I have seen many overestimate their armor and give broadside to BBs. Remember, doesn't matter how good Cleveland's citadel armor is, BBs will still one shot her. Or at least take 90% of her HP on first snipe.