Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ArtickWarspite

Strait map

14 comments in this topic

156 posts
3,374 battles

Spawned in a BB at the bottom of the Strait map in a tier 5 match. With me were 2 Cruisers & a Destroyer. We all headed to take the cap closest to us. 

After a minute or two, it became clear that the enemy facing us on the other side of this end of the map consisted of; 1 BB, 4 CA's, 2 DD's & a CV. 

So facing odds of 2-1, we didn't last long at all, and we only sank 1 ship- and failed to cap. 

Is it common to have such a mismatch in numbers at those spawn points? If it is, then half of each team faces a huge disadvantage right from the start. 

If your team is to be split as it is on that map, then they must be equal in number. 

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,703 battles

It can be. Remember though your team to the north also then out numbers the enemy. You can sail north or hold off until allies are available if ever

156 posts
3,374 battles

It can be. Remember though your team to the north also then out numbers the enemy. You can sail north or hold off until allies are available if ever

That is true, but then one half of the enemy team would be in big trouble right from the outset as well. Regardless of friend or foe, no one wants to start a battle heavily outnumbered.

And if you go to join the bulk of your team in one big lemming train, then you are not going to be contesting the caps.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

And thus that map makes you think about strategic decisions - do you commit to an assault over the nearest cap point and hope the quality of your teammates outshines the quantity of enemies? Or conduct a fighting retreat to whittle down enemies while preserving your team's own strength, crushing the other enemy group (who're facing the exact same decisions as you are)?

Strait forces you to think about map strategy by dividing forces right from the start, rather than having it occur naturally like in other maps. Remember, every single action you take in a game is a decision. This goes double in a battleship, which *heavily* penalizes poor decision-making. Learning to recognize that these decisions exist in the first place, and then picking the best option, is the difference between victory and defeat.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

In my experience with Strait, you either steamroll or get steamrolled.

If the northern/southern portion of your team gets annihilated while you're still dealing with your side, you will undoubtedly lose horribly; Especially when you have neither CV nor DD left in your team.

More than anything, the quality of your teammates is emphasized- The idea is to finish your side as quickly as possible to help the other side. Switching places is a bad idea if it's a Domination game, but acceptable in Standard Battles.

Will the outnumbered portion of your team survive long enough to be reinforced?

Will the outnumbering portion of your team eliminate enemies fast enough to give them support?

Will your teammates be potato enough to waste two minutes switching sides for no understandable reason?

Edited by Stein_Grenadier

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

well one thing I have noticed is that sometimes the starting positions on the map can determine the out come of the battle before it has even started.

it would be nice if they could have even numbers facing each other like 3 groups of 4 or 2 groups of 6 and not the 1 group of 8  in the middle and then 2 groups of 2 on the flanks etc

I have played many battles where one side gets the advantage in numbers or be it in tiers of ships.

EG,  2 tier 6 facing 2 tier 8s or as in one battle, I was in a tier 8 Russian cruiser with a tier 8 Benson and a tier 6 Cleveland facing 3 tier 8 cruises, Russian, and 2 Japanese cruisers and yes we lost.

What normally happens with the set up of 2 groups of 2 on the flanks is that they turn inwards and sail to join the big group of 8 ships and then everyone if sitting in the middle of your friendly cap and then get surrounded by the enemy and shot at from 2-3 directions and lose.

It would be nice just for it to be balanced.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

well one thing I have noticed is that sometimes the starting positions on the map can determine the out come of the battle before it has even started.

it would be nice if they could have even numbers facing each other like 3 groups of 4 or 2 groups of 6 and not the 1 group of 8  in the middle and then 2 groups of 2 on the flanks etc

I have played many battles where one side gets the advantage in numbers or be it in tiers of ships.

EG,  2 tier 6 facing 2 tier 8s or as in one battle, I was in a tier 8 Russian cruiser with a tier 8 Benson and a tier 6 Cleveland facing 3 tier 8 cruises, Russian, and 2 Japanese cruisers and yes we lost.

What normally happens with the set up of 2 groups of 2 on the flanks is that they turn inwards and sail to join the big group of 8 ships and then everyone if sitting in the middle of your friendly cap and then get surrounded by the enemy and shot at from 2-3 directions and lose.

It would be nice just for it to be balanced.

Refer to Syanda's post.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

Refer to Syanda's post.

yes I know I did read it.

I was just having my opinion that's all. and in general this tends to happens on a lot of maps and not just strait map.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

When did tiers get introduced in a discussion about a map?

Oh joy.

well considering just about every battle can have  a 2-3 tier spread it can have an affect on all battles played.

I was just using it as an example of a battle I had and how it can make a difference.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

yes I know I did read it.

I was just having my opinion that's all. and in general this tends to happens on a lot of maps and not just strait map.

Again, refer to Syanda's post.

so tier 8, tier 9 and tier 10 is not 3 different tiers???

That is not how tier spreads work!
Edited by Haku

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

Spawned in a BB at the bottom of the Strait map in a tier 5 match. With me were 2 Cruisers & a Destroyer. We all headed to take the cap closest to us. 

After a minute or two, it became clear that the enemy facing us on the other side of this end of the map consisted of; 1 BB, 4 CA's, 2 DD's & a CV. 

So facing odds of 2-1, we didn't last long at all, and we only sank 1 ship- and failed to cap. 

Is it common to have such a mismatch in numbers at those spawn points? If it is, then half of each team faces a huge disadvantage right from the start. 

If your team is to be split as it is on that map, then they must be equal in number. 

To my experience this happens very frequently in standard battle mode. For domination, spawns are most of the time equal number of ships. For standard mode, the team on their own cap will be heavier than the other part of the team. It ensures cap safety, that enemy cannot easily win that side and cap out. You probably spawned on the side of enemy's cap.

If it is a standard battle mode, and you are not confident about your skill or you do not have enough support, I suggest you move to the other side (behind the mountains) and join the others in the team. (Although I don't like this, this is huge waste of time for you and there is hardly any chance that you will get good personal results).

If it is a domination, you keep distance and focus on the ships close to or on the cap point, this gives you cap defense ribbons which produces huge xp. So even if you die, you get good xp and credit.

When you face a bigger flank than you can handle, your job is not to win them, your job is to delay them so that your allies on the other side can overwhelm their side and provide support for you. That's how we play in north and we hardly lose in this map.

Sign in to follow this