You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
xalt

How to Deal with Rearward "Anvil" Drops?

20 comments in this topic

[KMMHS]
37 posts
5,468 battles

Refer to 2:30 in the video. So what's the solution for a DD? I've been killed many times by this style of rearward-facing manual drop, one drop to keep me perpendicular to the second simultaneous drop, usually end up taking at least 1 if not 2 hits.

P.S. No "WASD toward the TB before they drop" smartass comments please. I've been in over 200 higher tier DD games and it doesn't do jack. Turning preemptively slows you down and makes you an even easier target, the CV will just readjust his drop and his planes, unlike your boat, turn almost instantly, and go at 4 times the speed of your boat. You end up taking 2 torp hits instead, because your threw away your high speed manoeuvrability.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,806 battles

There's... really nothing much you can do if the CV player does that.

As you say, the first plane squad forces you to do something. And he capitalizes on that.

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,499 battles

Prerequisite : have proplution upgrade

USNDD : Use AA barrage and widen the gap, find your way through.

Others : Turn on engine boost and turn away from the first drop, if you mess this part up, you will be hit

Move diagonally away from the 2nd drop, you should have enough speed to avoid it.

When a well placed 3rd drop (Taiho/Haku) comes, you will be hit.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

The idea's not getting in the situation in the first place. DDs are best when there's a maximum of 8km away from your nearest AA-equipped cruiser. CVs pick targets that are singled out- Like DDs rushing to the caps while the entire team's hauling their ships at 1/4 engine power.

If not, you can be happy that it took the enemy CV took two squadrons off the rest of your team in trying to kill you.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

my way to get out of this: kill the speed, when the torps are passing your ship hit the throttle and turn into the planes

Extreme-Ultra-Super-Late-Braking

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

my way to get out of this: kill the speed, when the torps are passing your ship hit the throttle and turn into the planes

Extreme-Ultra-Super-Late-Braking

I'd probably agree with this, killing speed and tight manoeuvring can maybe throw off the second TB drop but at the same time like icy said, if that CV player is really good, they'll still manage to get you eventually

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

If you face an unicum cv, you have nothing to do there mate. Just go back to port and reload a new one.

thats why you need to become a unicum your self :trollface:

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

thats why you need to become a unicum your self :trollface:

Trying mate, I'm trying. Just gimme time.... maaaaaaaaaaaybeeeeeee one day.... I'm going to dodge an essex...

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Trying mate, I'm trying. Just gimme time.... maaaaaaaaaaaybeeeeeee one day.... I'm going to dodge an essex...

or just go up the USN cruiser line so you never have to worry about planes XD

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

I'd probably agree with this, killing speed and tight manoeuvring can maybe throw off the second TB drop but at the same time like icy said, if that CV player is really good, they'll still manage to get you eventually

Taking only 1 CV torpedo can't hurt a high-tier DD that much. If anything, torps from other DDs are more dangerous- At least you can see the bombers coming.

TB torps are the same for all CV tiers, if I recall correctly.

Once needed 3 TB torps to kill a Tashkent with SE.

---

If you can't completely avoid it, choose a spot that guarantees only 1 torpedo will hit you- It throws off CVs who were expecting something else instead.

783 posts
4,821 battles

As someone who regularly does it while in a CV(when I mess up a cross-drop), I recommend the killing speed thing.

But with a good executed hammer-anvil drop, it goes something like turn away from the torps (for this example, turning right) while killing speed. The tricky part is that the 2nd drop will drop perpendicular to you while it is happening. So, you would have to anticipate it and go full reverse while changing the rudder to the opposite direction (turning left in the example). If the said maneuver turns into the 2nd torp drop and fit, then all is good. If it turns you away from the 2nd torp drop and the enemy is a Taiho/Hakuryu, right before the torpedo passes through you, go full speed and head into the opposite direction in anticipation for the 3rd torp drop.

It pretty much requires the propulsion upgrade. And the only DDs that should worry about it anyway are T7 and up since those below are too maneuverable or small that it is pretty inconsistent to try to get a drop on them.

Easier said than done I suppose.

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,019 battles

As someone who regularly does it while in a CV(when I mess up a cross-drop), I recommend the killing speed thing.

But with a good executed hammer-anvil drop, it goes something like turn away from the torps (for this example, turning right) while killing speed. The tricky part is that the 2nd drop will drop perpendicular to you while it is happening. So, you would have to anticipate it and go full reverse while changing the rudder to the opposite direction (turning left in the example). If the said maneuver turns into the 2nd torp drop and fit, then all is good. If it turns you away from the 2nd torp drop and the enemy is a Taiho/Hakuryu, right before the torpedo passes through you, go full speed and head into the opposite direction in anticipation for the 3rd torp drop.

It pretty much requires the propulsion upgrade. And the only DDs that should worry about it anyway are T7 and up since those below are too maneuverable or small that it is pretty inconsistent to try to get a drop on them.

Yep, rapid speed changes (usually slowing down/killing the engine) are the most reliable way to deal with this. Of course, CV players (like myself) will do our best to anticipate that as well...

That said, try to take the torpedo to the stern if possible. It will deal less damage.

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

or just go up the USN cruiser line so you never have to worry about planes XD

I have seen stratmania one shot baltimores. Also, CAs (when DF is in CD) don't have as good AA as battleships.
Edited by icy_phoenix

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,019 battles

I have seen stratmania one shot baltimores. Also, CAs (when DF is in CD) don't have as good AA as battleships.

TBH that was lucky since his DF was on cooldown and he turned the wrong way.

[KMMHS]
37 posts
5,468 battles

I should clarify, I usually only have a problem when the drop is from the rear. If it's from the sides, it's possible to just turn out completely from the path of the one drop, and align your DD parallel in the other drop. If it's from the front(dropping 45 degrees to your left and right), careful use of the throttle should enable you to avoid all of them. The problem is when one drop straddles your rear directly. This is because the torpedoes are almost the same speed as you are(35 knots, as opposed to most DDs going at 38-40), so you can't turn out from them without bumping into one. Even with the propulsion upgrade installed, the 5 torpedoes(for Japanese CVs with the tier 5 commander skill) cover a width about 2 ship lengths, well... it's hard for any engine to bleed off speed equivalent to more than 2 ship lengths in the 4-5 seconds you have. You can decrease this down a little less by turning in toward the perpendicular drop ever so slightly(around 30-35 degrees, careful not to move into those coming behind you), but even in full reverse and with the propulsion upgrade but no sierra mike, I still clip the first torpedo of the perpendicular drop with the front of the ship. Maybe the solution is to use a keyboard macro or mash S harder to go into full reverse faster.

Prerequisite : have proplution upgrade

USNDD : Use AA barrage and widen the gap, find your way through.

Others : Turn on engine boost and turn away from the first drop, if you mess this part up, you will be hit

Move diagonally away from the 2nd drop, you should have enough speed to avoid it.

When a well placed 3rd drop (Taiho/Haku) comes, you will be hit.

Okay, save the engine boost for when the TBs come. That's actually a really good idea I've not considered. I actually do use propulsion upgrade.

783 posts
4,821 battles

I should clarify, I usually only have a problem when the drop is from the rear...

Oh. Drops that I do myself are that forces the DD to do that itself. Angle the drop at a point where turning into it == 1-2 torp hits and that turning away is the best choice. So predictively, the target DD will turn away, resulting in the situation of "the drop from the rear". (If it doesn't well, 1-2 torp hits without the anvil so win for the CV) That's the first trap, in which there's a perpendicular second drop, while your rudder is focused on one side. This is why I mentioned cutting speed ASAP and going reverse while shifting the rudder to the opposite direction.

The problem is when one drop straddles your rear directly. This is because the torpedoes are almost the same speed as you are(35 knots, as opposed to most DDs going at 38-40), so you can't turn out from them without bumping into one.

Most CV players I encountered at mid-high tier use TA(Torp Accel) so the torps are around 40 knots.

Even with the propulsion upgrade installed, the 5 torpedoes(for Japanese CVs with the tier 5 commander skill) cover a width about 2 ship lengths, well... it's hard for any engine to bleed off speed equivalent to more than 2 ship lengths in the 4-5 seconds you have.

Last is that the Tier 5 commander skill does not affect torpedo bombers. So it'll stay 4 for IJN CVs.

Just clarifications :coin:

[KMMHS]
37 posts
5,468 battles

Most CV players I encountered at mid-high tier use TA(Torp Accel) so the torps are around 40 knots.

Last is that the Tier 5 commander skill does not affect torpedo bombers. So it'll stay 4 for IJN CVs.

Just clarifications :coin:

Ah okay, didn't know either of those 2 facts.