Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
xscore

How to win?

16 comments in this topic

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Sometimes, you try hard, cos everyone wants to win and improve their skills (I presume)

So once in a while you get matches where you try really hard but lose, like the following.  Any tips on how to carry and increase your map awareness to get more wins, so as to avoid the following situations?  I know how to solo carry in a DD, but any tips on solo carrying in a CA or BB?  My strategy is as follows:

CA: try not to die, deal as much damage as possible to the smallest ship you can hit comfortably, support DDs cos some DD captains are known to YOLO early game.

BB: Tank damage, deal lots of damage, push ahead of your CAs so they grow balls.  Focus down low targets and remove guns from the fight.

But sometimes even after tanking like over 100k damage and dealing over 200k damage (as seen below) team still loses.  How does one recognise the skill level of teammates and thus formulate a winning strategy around it?  The main way I determine skill of teammates is by the flags they mount and their actions, but I cannot track every teammate on my flank in the heat of battle.  Is there a mod or something that tells you which players to take care of and which you can depend on?

Or should I just keep working on skills like how to aim better, drag aggro, and how to WASD hax?

Thanks for the tips!

shot-16.07.27_17.49.16-0282.jpg

shot-16.07.28_18.37.33-0930.jpg

shot-16.07.30_01.01.15-0980.jpg

shot-16.07.30_20.37.27-0575.jpg

Edited by xscore

783 posts
4,824 battles

Nothing carries a match better than a well-played "Carrier". :trollface: Get it? No? Ok, I'll stop now. :hiding:

We all have those games and some of them are really hopeless. We would learn to accept that and improve to actually change the tide in battles than can be changed.

For BBs, it's all about being a presence in the map that can't be ignored. You already know how it goes and how much it can contribute in the battle just basing on your screenshots. More often than not, good BB play with the balance of tanking and damage dealing with a pinch of self-preservation will win you the flank. Whether or not that advantage gives you the win is dependent on the situation.

For CL/CAs, consistently dealing damage while constantly dodging BB shells is usually the case. Others demand you be a substitute destroyer. And sometimes it demands holding a flank for more than 6 minutes against the enemy's main fleet. Probably the most reactionary class where carrying with quite range and variety in how to do it. Capital letters on: "IT DEPENDS!".

Personally, I think carrying potential rankings go: CV > DD > BB > CL/CA

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Personally, I think carrying potential rankings go: CV > DD > BB > CL/CA

I myself do not play CV, but I would agree with that assessment.  Especially so in higher tiers, where BBs have just so much more potential in the game than Cruisers due to their map presence (Just played Tirpitz in tier X, got over 120k damage and won the game I basically popped in and out of a rock and kept all enemy CAs angled against me, and slow down their advance to my base, as well as reduce their guns pointed at my team, allowing other allied ships more time to shoot them with less return fire).

DDs are harder to carry in my opinion, though the learning experience is much more responsive due to the faster paced gameplay.  Likewise for cruisers, you can pick up things more easily, although you need more games due to their versatility.  But somehow while I do not suck at BBs (WR wise), I feel like there are many situations where there is so much more I can squeeze out of those ships.  

And then sometimes MM will inevitably "bless" you with 2 rank 1 divisions on the enemy team, and you dance around with one only to find the other completely eviscerating the other flank (solo queue rank 1 players are ok, but divisions of 3 of them are scary AF).  Sure those games are fast and fun, and pretty much unwinnable, but at least you learn from the good players.  And then there are other times when your team steamrolls over the enemy in domination and gets 1000 points in 7 minutes.  But well, MM giveth and MM taketh away.

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Game is too much dependent on DDs, that's why I don't play DD, cause I'm afraid I will screw up.

That is really considerate btw.  Have you tried divisioning, or maybe buying the Blyscawica (most versatile premium DD imo)?  

Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles

That is really considerate btw.  Have you tried divisioning, or maybe buying the Blyscawica (most versatile premium DD imo)?  

I tried doing DD myself today and totally sucked. I was in Gnevny, I did 54K in one match and didnt die, next one I did 2K dmg and died first. Then my division mates dragged by dead ass to victory. Today I found a potato who just bought blyska and he hid behind my tirpitz all game till I died taking focus for 3-4 ships including DDs, whaich he could easily kill. He was playing a torpedo boat in blyska, I was like that the hell is this ****.

Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles

Speaking of strategy, don't try to nitpick flaws in allies, you try to find that in enemy and tell that to your friends, "X is going to give full broad side to you", 

You check allies positions, and you try to create a situation for the enemy where they are exposed more to allied threats. For example, if you find a friendly BB taking heavy fire, you all focus everything on that particular enemy, If you see an ally lining up for a torpedo run, you keep enemy busy on you, if you are a DD, you want to throw torpedoes in a way that enemy is forced to turn broadside to your allies should your torpedoes miss. There are no rules. it is more like adapting with the situation. If the team does well, you usually don't get very high scores cause it is well distributed among the team.

Oh and be careful about when you queue up for what tier. This is part of the strategy too.

Division helps in winning, it guarantees 2 less idiots.

231 posts
3,548 battles

Dd be a sly rat with everything you do , use the islands as conver and concealment to your advantage , always with with another dd as a wolf pack get the enemy to get in a bad situation and try to single out a ship that's heading the wrong way and track him till he's full of holes :)

Cruisers are all about burning anything in range , except the ussr and German cruisers , which in the right situation you can head straight into any ships and using torps once close enough

Now bb are really where the skills come in , with the bb gameplay is all about citadels citadels citadels .....

Cv are bb hunters

And anything else I've forgotten is a Kill all ship

Simple really :)

[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
82 posts
11,152 battles

If you are crap like me, find some really good div mates to play with.

Your win rate will improve handily!!!

Thanks TF 44 members!

Hit the nail on the head, find some players either here on the forums or in game that you see play well, hit them up and ask for a division. Two or three of you working together is a MASSIVE advantage over 12 individual players all essentially playing solo. It'll be rare that in the middle of a game players come together and properly team up, and so my advice is also to find some div mates.

But, if you have to play solo, just know the role for your ship class and carry it out as best you can. Higher tiers (9-10 specifically, 8 can be OK...) tend to be a complete snore fest too and very tricky to influence, so stick with tiers 5-7 for better gameplay.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,704 battles

Divisions is one way to get wins or improve skill by learning. Know your role as well.

As  CA i will stay with BBs. You give them he spam at the enemy plus they wont charge ships like that frequently. Same with BBs try to have CAs stay with you.

Yoloing can get you the odd win but team work well garner this frequently

783 posts
4,824 battles

Divisions is one way to get wins or improve skill by learning. Know your role as well.

As  CA i will stay with BBs. You give them he spam at the enemy plus they wont charge ships like that frequently. Same with BBs try to have CAs stay with you.

Yoloing can get you the odd win but team work well garner this frequently

Either that or YOLO'ing and then an odd number of allies will follow you since everyone will target you at the front line. (in BBs)

Not exactly a 'smart' move but getting wins that way is a lot of fun.

Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles

Noob teammates make me look like I'm Yoloing... I lead a charge in a BB, I see all of them around me, as soon as two enemy BB pops up... hush... all turn tail. 

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Noob teammates make me look like I'm Yoloing... I lead a charge in a BB, I see all of them around me, as soon as two enemy BB pops up... hush... all turn tail. 

Happens to me many times, all I do is to continue firing and WASD to the nearest cover, or if not possible turn back between salvoes.  But yea, many times I see BB captains doing either that, or stay like 10km behind my Tirpitz while I get my free dreadnaught.

Sign in to follow this