You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BlackLightSun

Battleships............why bother

58 comments in this topic

1 post
3,021 battles

So, been playing for a while, worked up the US line in Cruisers and B/Ships.  The cruisers easily dominate the game, destroyers do well if played the right way.  Battleships just seem like some kind of a joke at tier 5.  Cruisers have same or better range, so being bigger and slower is a big minus.  Cruisers have better turning and smaller size, so very difficult to hit at long range ( why would a cruiser bother to come close, they dont), so B/Ship again is next to useless.  The US B/ship has good armor, its useless when being continually hosed by cruisers firing HE.  Retreating doesnt work, cruisier is much faster.  So really why did they bother to include B/Ships in the game?  Ok, so its good at firing at other B/Ships............which are few because they suck. Why play B/ship when cruiser is better at killing destroyers,crusiers and other B/ships.  Plus the cruiser can and do dodge planes better.  I welcome every flame attack blah blah blah.............but in reality the in game dominance of cruisers is proof that the game needs to be rebalance by nerfing cruisers.  Just by reducing the effect of HE when fired by cruiser at B/ship would be a good start. A cruiser is so much better at killing a B/ship than another B/ship its a joke.

181 posts
7,548 battles

I have a lot more cruiser games under my name but then after seeing my stats at warships today, I'm indeed better in battleships than cruisers and I'm not even regretting that a bit. Basically I just love seeing black ribbons (previously yellow) popping up when firing my big guns at other ships :)

Edited by 8knots

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

I see you've only played less than 150 battles.

Low-tier meta is not indicative of high-tier meta- The same goes for ship capabilities.

Make more mistakes to learn from, compensate for your weaknesses and play to your strengths.

Only a silly goose would look solely at the weaknesses as an excuse.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,283 posts

Oh boy, here we go again........

Battleships are just that, Battleships.

Yes they go slow, yes they don't turn well, yes they get spammed by HE.

BUT, you also get the largest caliber guns in the game and with a well placed salvo, you can obliterate any cruiser in the game (especially at tier 5)

Adjust your play style and dare I say it.....GIT GUD!

Edited by EvacuateBowel

563 posts
4,686 battles

You know BB can blast any cruiser out in one salvo? BB can tank, BB can repair, any attempt to push or defend without BB isn't going to work well.

Beta Tester
106 posts
2,843 battles

The only tier where BBs are a joke is tier 3. Believe me, at mid and high tiers you will see cruisers as snacks instead of threats.

Anyway, you should try to improve your hit rate first. Learn to lead your shots and predict the movement of your targets. You've got nasty guns that can one-shot or severely damage any ship in the game. They're your most important asset, use them well.

Another important thing to remember: always sail close to friendly ships. A lone BB is a dead BB and a sniping BB is a useless BB.

266 posts
5,135 battles

Yes, low-mid tier battleships are a joke. It's a joke how much damage they can dish out. It's a joke how they can instantly delete cruisers. It's a joke how much punishment they can take. Seriously, battleships rule the sea at low-mid tier. I really don't understand what you're talking about here.

Some advice, don't snipe. Your effective range is around 8-14 km in IJN battleships. Even closer in USN battleships.

Second, don't use damage control if you only have one fire. Just use repair party and save that damage control when you have two or more fires.

Third, use premium consumables. You can buy them with credits and it makes your consumables cooldown much shorter.

Fourth, prioritize shooting at broadsiding targets, unless there is more immediate threat such as DD.

Fifth, don't sail alone. Stick with your team.

Sixth, pray to RNGesus for less overpens and more citadels. :3

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

So, been playing for a while, worked up the US line in Cruisers and B/Ships.  The cruisers easily dominate the game, destroyers do well if played the right way.  Battleships just seem like some kind of a joke at tier 5.  Cruisers have same or better range, so being bigger and slower is a big minus.  Cruisers have better turning and smaller size, so very difficult to hit at long range ( why would a cruiser bother to come close, they dont), so B/Ship again is next to useless.  The US B/ship has good armor, its useless when being continually hosed by cruisers firing HE.  Retreating doesnt work, cruisier is much faster.  So really why did they bother to include B/Ships in the game?  Ok, so its good at firing at other B/Ships............which are few because they suck. Why play B/ship when cruiser is better at killing destroyers,crusiers and other B/ships.  Plus the cruiser can and do dodge planes better.  I welcome every flame attack blah blah blah.............but in reality the in game dominance of cruisers is proof that the game needs to be rebalance by nerfing cruisers.  Just by reducing the effect of HE when fired by cruiser at B/ship would be a good start. A cruiser is so much better at killing a B/ship than another B/ship its a joke.

Cruisers aren't better, they are support ships. Also at tier 5, all the battleships out range and out gun any cruiser you can think of at tier 5. Battleships and CVs are also called Capital Ships for a reason, because they do massive damage, but they need protection from other ships. Battleships are Joke till T4 (Wyoming, biggest joke with range, Myogi, biggest joke with RNG, Ishizuchi a joke with both range and RNG), sill then, they are very capable of killing cruisers by one salvo.

Cruisers are easier to play, since you don't need to worry much about target lead, you miss a salvo who cares, fix the next one. Wiggle around, most BBs will miss you. But still, you need 100 shells to wreck a competent BB player, and that player will need 10 to send you back to port. Cruisers are harder to do well, you need to know a lot of stuffs.

Seems like you have been playing USN BBs, New York can shoot up to 18.1 Km if I remember correctly, while the cruisers are at 13, 14, and 15 Kms. Lets not talk about Kongo and Sissies.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Beta Tester
65 posts
6,458 battles

You know BB can blast any cruiser out in one salvo? ...

Not true. This assumes that a lot of rounds hit the cruiser in one salvo as well as citadel it. It will mess up the cruiser but in my experience it is rare that a battleship can one salvo a cruiser. But the rest of the quote is true.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Not true. This assumes that a lot of rounds hit the cruiser in one salvo as well as citadel it. It will mess up the cruiser but in my experience it is rare that a battleship can one salvo a cruiser. But the rest of the quote is true.

Try broadsiding in a cruiser in any match with competent players.

It's common, just that no one wants to do the above- Or rather, to avoid the above like the plague.

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

He didn't mean from full hp though. Say a cruiser running around with 40% HP. Battleship sees it, boom. BB just need 1 citadel and may be 2 penetration. Or, say at the very beginning, you get a citadel on a CA. CAs can't repair up until very high tier or Atago. So, they can't really come close and that's a win. They can't come close, they can't shoot.

Beta Tester
65 posts
6,458 battles

Try broadsiding in a cruiser in any match with competent players.

It's common, just that no one wants to do the above- Or rather, to avoid the above like the plague.

Which is why I said it assumes that lots of rounds hit and even if a lot hits unless one can do a citadel at the same time, one cannot just one salvo a cruiser unless of course as mentioned in another post it was damaged already. Of course, cruisers wouldn't just let the battleship hit them.

Edited by Wolf168

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Which is why I said it assumes that lots of rounds hit and even if a lot hits unless one can do a citadel at the same time, one cannot just one salvo a cruiser unless of course as mentioned in another post it was damaged already. Of course, cruisers wouldn't just let the battleship hit them.

This is less rare than expected in higher tier games, where having 2-3 citadel hits (about 25-40k damage, or about the HP of a tier 6-8 Cruiser) in a single salvo happens once in a while.  You can delete full HP tier 7 or tier 6 cruisers who still haven't learnt that just because an enemy BB went undetected doesn't mean it isn't there.  Just did one to a 100% Aoba recently (in Amagi), and even at lower tiers in some sigma 2.0 ships such as nikolai or ishizuchi one-shots on same tier cruisers are possible considering that tier 3-4 CLs have like 15-25k HP (One shotted a 100% Kuma in my Ishizuchi last week too).  Heck I even one-shotted a Wyoming in a Kongo before, yes all 43800 of its HP with 3 citadels, cos it was giving me broadside at 6km.  

Once people reach high tiers where BBs are more accurate, and the threat of having a significant chunk of HP removed (or just death) from a single BB salvo means players take BBs quite seriously.  Your mere presence at the right location can ensure that they angle and slow their advance (I mainly play stealth builds), especially if you managed to take off a chunk of one of the enemy's front top tier ships near the start and everyone else in the enemy team sees it (one-shots are also very demoralising for the enemy team).  This can be capitalised by your team since they have slower ships to shoot at, and less guns pointed at them since the enemies are constantly angling to dodge your shots.  

1,124 posts

CA can minimize the risk and damage from BB's AP shell by angling or bow on and move backward to safe distance.

but BB can do NOTHING to fight against FIRE from endless barrage of HE shell...

129 posts
3,498 battles

I see you've only played less than 150 battles.

ha ha ha. 150 battles consider as newborn baby. 

u got so much things to learn. that's all.

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

CA can minimize the risk and damage from BB's AP shell by angling or bow on and move backward to safe distance.

but BB can do NOTHING to fight against FIRE from endless barrage of HE shell...

I once said that in forum and got bombarded by HE shells from everyone. Suddenly statgrinders appeared and told me according to statistics battleships die from AP damage, not fire, so it is fine. They didn't see my point that, none of your skill can save you from that.

This is my score for today

2DaASm3.jpg

Its not that great, but do you get that much average damage on your Myoko or Mogami? And see that poor Aoba there, its not like I fled or something, no one even came in my range. I chased after enemy whole game.

220 posts
3,420 battles

I can fire nearly 200 HE's on a Battle ship, have him raging in fire on all sides but he gets one or two shells on me and I'm looking very unhealthy very quickly. I'm hugely  scared of BB's and for a lot of good reasons, over a week I may kill (normally burn) a couple but they will get me a lot more, and I can fire three out of four on target when lined up.

It's one of those beautiful sunset pictures watching a Battleship burn, almost mesmerizing and a definable amount of good fun.

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

For a smaller ship, its all about being careful whom you pick your fight with. For DDs, you have to be extra careful about enemy CA, and for CAs you have to be extra careful about enemy BBs.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

because playing battleship is the manly way. you angle yourship against bigger guns. dodge or absorb shots from HE firing scrubs while you blast them away with your bigger guns. as you progress in tier you will get BIGGER GUNS, tougher armor and more HP to absorb more damage while dealing

to the enemy

s4ihLzT.jpg

Edited by yansuki