You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
icy_phoenix

Skill point compensation for "Situational Awareness"

77 comments in this topic

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

Did you guys see this?

From EU forum: Changes to Update 0.5.9 after Public Test

Posted by MrConway (WG Stuff)

Situational Awareness compensation

After reviewing all possible arguments, we’ve decided to stay with our previously announced scheme:

1. If Situational Awareness is the only 1st-tier skill taken by your commander, it will be changed to the Repair skill;
  2. If there is more than one 1st-tier skill taken by your commander, the commander will receive 1 skill point for the now removed SA skill;

We believe that this approach takes the favorable middle-ground for most of our players. It prevents you from having to re-apply skills to a lot of commanders which is both tedious and can lead to mistakes and pain – this was the feedback you gave us after the last full skill drop. At the same time it acknowledges the current most popular skill builds, which usually utilize the Repair skill in place of Situational Awareness (Repair is the most popular skill after SA, for all classes).

14 posts
2,390 battles

SA is only needed on DD really, for me personally. Then again I never take 'long range fire indication'  ... just why? I'm gonna be shot at anyway, really -- wiggle that rudder -- they should replace that skill with something more interesting.

o7

753 posts
8,965 battles

the commander will receive 1 skill point for the now removed SA skill;

This is what should happen for all players regardless, they are our skill points to do with what we please. It shouldn't be WG decision on what skill we want.

The repair skill I do not want on any of my DD's which are the only ships that I have used SA.

Edited by Trojan63

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

One sentence: Are you effing kidding me? 

Why can't they just give a +1 if SA was taken? I am pretty active in forums, I've never seen people giving such feedback. Have been chatting with others on discord, they haven't seen anything like that either. Re applying skills are tedious work? Repair is the most popular skill after SA?

I'm lost. Now most of my captains will end up having Repair skill where I wanted to take BFT. I will be surprised if player base is happy with this.

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

SA is only needed on DD really, for me personally. Then again I never take 'long range fire indication'  ... just why? I'm gonna be shot at anyway, really -- wiggle that rudder -- they should replace that skill with something more interesting.

o7

Oh man you need a bit more experience than that. You cannot play anything without SA. May be CV, but you need SA in all the other types. Specially at higher tiers. There is a reason why WG is making SA global skill, cause everyone takes that.
Edited by icy_phoenix

266 posts
5,142 battles

One sentence: Are you effing kidding me? 

Why can't they just give a +1 if SA was taken? I am pretty active in forums, I've never seen people giving such feedback. Have been chatting with others on discord, they haven't seen anything like that either. Re applying skills are tedious work? Repair is the most popular skill after SA?

I'm lost. Now most of my captains will end up having Repair skill where I wanted to take BFT. I will be surprised if player base is happy with this.

Iirc I read somewhere that giving +1 if you have only SA is not possible because of engine limitation. Probably if you have only SA in tier 1 skill and remove it without replacing it with any skill, it violates the rule that you need at least one tier 1 skill to have tier 2+ skills. Either it's impossible or difficult to reprogram, or they simply think it's not worth the time. :3
Edited by AsakuraShinji

507 posts
9,826 battles

i know right.

This part cracked me up. "It prevents you from having to re-apply skills to a lot of commanders which is both tedious and can lead to mistakes and pain – this was the feedback you gave us after the last full skill drop."

Who even gave that feedback? i know i didn't. Now gonna have to spend Gold to reset the commander to get a higher tier skill. Maybe that's what they wanted.

Easier solution would have been to reset commanders with more than 10 or 12 Skill points.

14 posts
2,390 battles

Oh man you need a bit more experience than that. You cannot play anything without SA. May be CV, but you need SA in all the other types. Specially at higher tiers. There is a reason why WG is making SA global skill, cause everyone takes that.

I haven't found myself in need of SA with CA ships. So far I've got to T8 and I don't have it on any of CA captains nor the BB. BB I don't bother because the concealment is not that great in general so I'm likely spotted anyway. It's a similar story with the CVs because I'm constantly firing the guns (which extend the detectability greatly). Plus the HUD now displays your detectability range which I use to find out if I got enough distance from the enemy that I'm no longer detected.

It be interesting to know what commander skills CA players have though.

Edited by LittleMusket

266 posts
5,142 battles

They could simply explain that instead of telling us this is what we gave as feedback?

Found the link : https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2016/07/22/wows-qa-22th-july-2016-2/

Mate, you know WG. Their communication method is sometimes rather... unorthodox. :trollface:

It be interesting to know what commander skills CA players though.

I'm using both Situation Awareness and Incoming Fire Alert on all my cruisers. The former allows you to make full use of your concealment (which is your lifeline in high tier cruisers) and tells you when a DD is near you. As for the latter, most players don't usually take it, but this skill has saved me countless times especially when I'm engaging multiple ships at once.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Basically:

The skill system is set up that you *must* have one t1 skill before t2 and above skills can be bought. Engine limitations mean that if SA was the only t1 skill taken, removing it would result in some pretty severe breakage. However, currently Situational Awareness is judged to be a near-necessary skill on all ships, and devs have made the design decision that giving it to all players is more important. That's why for players with *only* Situational Awareness as their sole t1 skill, it will be replaced with Basics of Survivability. The criteria used to select that skill is that it was the next most popular t1 skill picked next to Situational Awareness. 

For players with more than one tier 1 skill, however, Situational Awareness is removed from the skill tree (and automatically enabled on all ships), and one point is refunded to captains. This is because removing Situational Awareness would not result in the same bugs/breakage as the previous situation. As such, a workaround: if you don't want Basics of Survivability, you should spend one skill point on another t1 skill right now.

The alternative is to give all players a full skill reset. However, the current removal of Situational Awareness is not a very radical change to the skill system (like we saw before in a previous patch), and would cost WG a lot of money. As such, a full reset was judged to be unnecessary.

(As an aside - there WERE quite a bunch of people who complained about the last skill reset. Something about not reading the news articles/not knowing there was a skill reset despite it being announced weeks in advance from PT patch notes, and taking unskilled captains into battle. There'll always be such players, tbh).

Edited by Syanda

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

I haven't found myself in need of SA with CA ships. So far I've got to T8 and I don't have it on any of CA captains nor the BB. BB I don't bother because the concealment is not that great in general so I'm likely spotted anyway. It's a similar story with the CVs because I'm constantly firing the guns (which extend the detectability greatly). Plus the HUD now displays your detectability range which I use to find out if I got enough distance from the enemy that I'm no longer detected.

It be interesting to know what commander skills CA players have though.

"I'm likely spotted anyway" that is not the real reason people use it in battleships. S/A usually also tell you how you are detected. Most reason why I use S/A is to know when I am detected even though I should not  be. Yes, may be it did not occur to you, but there have been countless time this saved me from torp walls. Because I knew, there are some underage ship stalking me.

Edited by icy_phoenix

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Yeah - Situational Awareness is actually pretty insanely powerful in the hands of a skilled player. Regardless of what ship class you're in, seeing the detected icon pop up coupled with basic knowledge of the map and enemy ship movements means you can basically identify which map squares enemy DDs are lurking in.

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

The main reason I do not want Basics of Survivality on any ship because I am already very hard to kill.

So now, I have checked and I have a few extra points to chose a L1 skill before it give my captain BoS.

As such, a workaround: if you don't want Basics of Survivability, you should spend one skill point on another t1 skill right now.

Now tell me senpai, what L1 skill do I take for the following: (no I won't take BoS in DD, and my BB captains already have BFT)

USN, IJN, RN, USSR DDs

USN, IJN CVs

Saipan (yeah, its a special class, I haven't played her yet, but in future will do)

Edited by icy_phoenix

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

For DDs:

BoS is pretty bleargh in DDs in general due to their low damage control cooldown. Grab BFT or Incoming Fire Alert, whichever you prefer, but BFT should be the first choice for boosting the guns. USN and RU DDs should already have BFT as one of their first skill choices, anyway.

For CAs:

Toss-up, based on preference. BFT for boosting AA capabilities, BoS for survival (especially against fires when your damage control is on cooldown), Incoming Fire Alert if you have poor situational awareness and don't want to keep an eye on a minimap. I don't really like expert loader, but CAs benefit from it the most out of all the classes (but I still think it's a terrible skill, tbh - faster to just clear the guns by shooting instead of reloading).

For BBs:

BFT for boosting AA and secondary guns, but BoS is excellent since you don't want to waste damage control on fires - letting them burn out faster is a good idea. Other t1 skills are meh.

For CVs:

Toss-up. BFT for boosting your AA against snipes (you'll see more mileage out of this than any other ship, tbh). If you like playing dangerously, though, BoS means faster fire extinguishing since you can't land/takeoff while on fire and carrier damage control cooldown sucks. Or you could take rear gunners, but frankly it doesn't do all that much - i'd rather pick BFT or BoS.

507 posts
9,826 battles

The alternative is to give all players a full skill reset. However, the current removal of Situational Awareness is not a very radical change to the skill system (like we saw before in a previous patch), and would cost WG a lot of money. As such, a full reset was judged to be unnecessary.

Thing is it free's up one more point for players who have high tier captains.3 of my ships will be effected. Gearing will have 1 unused point, Yamato will have one unused point and so will the zao. Now a t3 skill could be used instead of a 2 which im guessing everyone prefers. This forces a reset cause why waste that one point, after all we did work to get that far.

753 posts
8,965 battles

"According to the studies, be it old (before 0.5.3) or new, they conducted before the patch, the most popular tier 1 skill on all classes of ships after Situational Awareness is Basics of Survivability. Even on destroyers, and even on gunboats."

​What a load of crap, BoS would never help in any DD so I'm astounded that anyone would select it.

"But the technology used does not allow them to give commanders with only one tier 1 skill the choice, so they followed the choice of the majority of players. Players have to understand that they really do not care what skill they should give players. They based their decision on what most of the players played with."

Not sure about this, so the technology exists to give players a skill point if they have 2 level one skills but not 1? Sounds like a lame excuse to me.

"If they would give players another skill, the dissatisfied group of players would only be different. The only difference is that that group would be bigger, and in some instances, much bigger."

Simple fix rather than pissing of some players (more than your so called data indicates imo) is to reset all commander skills as you have done in the past.

For a DD player like myself this is absurd and will cost me money to reset a skill that I never wanted. With the gradual decrease in the player base occurring atm this is one sure way to lose more.

Dissatisfaction of any portion of your customers is not a way to keep customers.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

​What a load of crap, BoS would never help in any DD so I'm astounded that anyone would select it

A lot of active players in the community would never pick BoS on a DD.

But remember, active players are a very, very small minority. There's a lot of people out there who actually do take BoS on a DD because they simply don't know or don't care. 

753 posts
8,965 battles

A lot of active players in the community would never pick BoS on a DD.

But remember, active players are a very, very small minority. There's a lot of people out there who actually do take BoS on a DD because they simply don't know or don't care. 

So the active players are the ones that are disadvantaged? 

if you don't want Basics of Survivability, you should spend one skill point on another t1 skill right now.

My IJN DD's are the only ones that will be affected here as my other nations already have both SA and BFT. 2 of my IJN DD's have a spare skill point that can be used now on BSF but I was waiting to get 2 skill points first for torpedo armament expertise then grind some more to get BFT..

So of those 2 DD's currently, if I take BFT now before the patch and have SA you are saying that I'll get 1 skill point compensation without getting BOS?

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

Thing is it free's up one more point for players who have high tier captains.3 of my ships will be effected. Gearing will have 1 unused point, Yamato will have one unused point and so will the zao. Now a t3 skill could be used instead of a 2 which im guessing everyone prefers. This forces a reset cause why waste that one point, after all we did work to get that far.

Now, that's an interesting thought. Never actually thought of that since my highest is 15. Damn.... But since only a minority have 18 point captain... you just give them money ;)
Edited by icy_phoenix

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

So the active players are the ones that are disadvantaged? 

if you don't want Basics of Survivability, you should spend one skill point on another t1 skill right now.

My IJN DD's are the only ones that will be affected here as my other nations already have both SA and BFT. 2 of my IJN DD's have a spare skill point that can be used now on BSF but I was waiting to get 2 skill points first for torpedo armament expertise then grind some more to get BFT..

So of those 2 DD's currently, if I take BFT now before the patch and have SA you are saying that I'll get 1 skill point compensation without getting BOS?

Active as in actively posting on the forums. The number of people who actively play the game but don't participate on the forums is pretty huge.

And yes. If you take BFT now before the patch and if you have SA currently, you'll get a point refunded when SA is removed.

753 posts
8,965 battles

Active as in actively posting on the forums. The number of people who actively play the game but don't participate on the forums is pretty huge.

Posting on the forums does not exempt those that do not read patch notes when the previous skill reset occurred, or access numerous tutorials and guides on which skills benefit certain ships, nor does it excuse "a lot of people out there who actually do take BoS on a DD because they simply don't know or don't care" rather than those that do.

And yes. If you take BFT now before the patch and if you have SA currently, you'll get a point refunded when SA is removed.

This clarification is greatly appreciated, however, it will still cost me to reset some DD's where I haven't got that one skill point to use now before the patch.

Please bear in mind that this account is probably the fourth I created having made mistakes in the commander skill section before I learnt from experience and from tutorials/guides, losing along the way the Diana and Aurora. No big sacrifice I know given the ships but a sacrifice non the less.

If those that cannot be bothered to read and learn if a skill reset was to occur then they deserve the pain of under performing ships until they realize that the big red icon next to your commander with the +6 for example is there for a reason.