You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Teostra

Montana

27 comments in this topic

295 posts
6,613 battles

i'm currently still enjoying my Iowa with 130k exp and wondering if montana worth it? for what i've been reading montana is like tier 9.5 battleship and having trouble against a yamato, is this true? or wg has buff montana penetration?

Beta Tester
911 posts

The montana plays differently.

Any skilled captain will be able to give the Yamato a run for his money.

The montana is about concealment and reload, along with HE capabilities.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Think of it as a Zao when you have to fight bow on camping Yamato. If the Yamato is sailing like a normal player would, punish with AP and use superior maneuverability to dodge shells. Don't get within 15km of Yamato unless it's on super low HP or he is shooting at allies becaus your armour won't hold it

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Okay.

So you know how Iowa has 3x3 turrets?

Monty Python gets 4x3. Monty gets the advantage of higher (potential)DPS in exchange for less lolpens.

Left: Yammy, Right: Monty

Main Turrets 3
Secondary Gun Turrets 58
Main Battery Firing Range 26.6 km
Maximum Dispersion 275 m
180 Degree Turn Time 72 s
Rate of Fire 2 rounds/min
Reload Time 30 s
Main Battery
460 mm/45 Type94 3 x 3
HE Shell
Maximum Damage 7300
Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell 35 %
Damage per Salvo 65 700
Damage per Minute 131 400
AP Shell
Maximum Damage 14800
Damage per Salvo 133 200
Damage per Minute 266 400

Main Turrets 4
Secondary Gun Turrets 70
Main Battery Firing Range 23.6 km
Maximum Dispersion 296 m
180 Degree Turn Time 45 s
Rate of Fire 2 rounds/min
Reload Time 30 s
Main Battery
406 mm/50 Mk7 4 x 3
HE Shell
Maximum Damage 5700
Chance of Fire on Target Caused by HE Shell 36 %
Damage per Salvo 68 400
Damage per Minute 136 800
AP Shell
Maximum Damage 13500
Damage per Salvo 162 000
Damage per Minute 324 000

Maneuverability

Maximum Speed 27 knots
Turning Circle Radius 900 m
Rudder Shift Time 22.1 s

Maximum Speed 30 knots
Turning Circle Radius 950 m
Rudder Shift Time 22.2 s
Concealment

Detectability Range by Air 16 km
Detectability Range by Sea 18 km

Detectability Range by Air 16.1 km
Detectability Range by Sea 17.8 km
Edited by Stein_Grenadier

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

Montana is a beast, unmatched firepower. I am grinding hard to get her. My experience is from playing them in test server. Yamato is not that fun, everyone will focus you (and they should). Montana is damn cruiser killer and a NO FLY ZONE where ever she goes. She can one salvo kill anything given broadside including Yamato. There are countless youtube entries for that. Unless you are too close, Montana bounces Yamato shells like no tomorrow. Check server stat and best damaging records. I think Montana wins over Yamato hands down. Don't get discouraged by common players, Montana is a T10. She just plays a bit different role and she can easily split front 2 and rear 2 turrets to two different targets for maximum effect. Oh, and the gun sound....

Edited by icy_phoenix

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

After all the buffs Montana gets lately (Accuracy, speed, AA) it gets deadlier against everything, including Yamato..

Montana is fine as a T10 BB, those who said it's inferior against Yamato are probably those who keeps shooting an angled Yamato while they get lolpenned in return..

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,570 battles

depends on how good yammy's aim is, the SLOW 460 shells throw off my aim a lot and i still strugle to compensate, even after i've gone so many matches with her, if yammy is good at aiming, the monty is at a disadvantage, but montys can over come yammys with bad aim with sheer shell volume(HE spam like a IJN CA), all chalks up to skill i guess

783 posts
4,826 battles

To be honest, whenever I get dragged into T10 matches, I'd rather be in the team with the Montanas rather than the team with the Yamatos.

Anecdotal experience have led me to believe that the former wins a lot more.

(Same thing with Zaos and Moskvas, I'd rather be on the team with the Moskva)

Don't get me wrong though, Yamato pretty much wrecks any other ship with those shells. But most of the time it is because of it that the team with the less Yamatos tend to be either more 'desperate' or more 'careful' when facing them, that I feel better team cohesion.

Or just the numerous painful experiences that I see a Montana in the frontline much more frequently than a Yamato. :hiding:

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

It is true as petee mentioned, with both good player, Montana won't be able to win vs an Yamato simply because none of the ship wont be able to use rear guns, and suddenly Yamato has lot more firepower.

Yamato: You can get away with your driving skill because of superior armor, but you must have good shooting skill.

Montana: You can get away with a bit lower shooting skill, but you must be an expert driving it.

Wows is not fair, and not 1v1 either.

To be honest, whenever I get dragged into T10 matches, I'd rather be in the team with the Montanas rather than the team with the Yamatos.
Anecdotal experience have led me to believe that the former wins a lot more.

(Same thing with Zaos and Moskvas, I'd rather be on the team with the Moskva)

Don't get me wrong though, Yamato pretty much wrecks any other ship with those shells. But most of the time it is because of it that the team with the less Yamatos tend to be either more 'desperate' or more 'careful' when facing them, that I feel better team cohesion.
Or just the numerous painful experiences that I see a Montana in the frontline much more frequently than a Yamato. :hiding:

Totally agree. Yesterday got dragged into a T10 match enemy had Zao and Yamatos while ours were balanced by Montana and Moskva. None of their cruisers were able to come into shooting range at all. And enemy Yamato were playing back and forth WoT in water, pretty much got wrecked by AquaJet's torpedoes almost from full HP hehe. 

Edited by icy_phoenix

Beta Tester
125 posts
6,162 battles

Have both, Montana only recently. Had my first Kraken in my Yamato 2 days ago, 3 of my victims were Montana's. Pushed hard, ended up on the other side of the map from our spawn but it was worth it.

I've really struggled with the Yamato as opposed to the Izumo. Focused from the get go quite often. Slightly below the server average for damage in it.

The Montana I'm liking, HE to start as I move in and swap to AP at under 14kms. And the AA is also very helpful.

A good ship with good potential if played right and will always get focused 2nd if you have a Yamato on your team.

Edited by Obi1Killnoobi

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,034 battles

The truth is out there! Let's see how the H41 tips the scales when we see it!

The "H41" as we knew it (4x2 420 mm guns) will be at T9.

The T10 will have the same arrangement as Montana, so it will be a better comparison...

Beta Tester
125 posts
6,162 battles

The "H41" as we knew it (4x2 420 mm guns) will be at T9.

The T10 will have the same arrangement as Montana, so it will be a better comparison...

H43?

266 posts
5,142 battles

i'm currently still enjoying my Iowa with 130k exp and wondering if montana worth it? for what i've been reading montana is like tier 9.5 battleship and having trouble against a yamato, is this true? or wg has buff montana penetration?

I honestly don't have the Montana yet (still 110k xp from her), but I have 4 T10s and have tried the Montana plus various T10 ships in test servers. And I'm under the impression that there are not a single T10 that is not worth getting. If you can ignore the repair costs, all T10s are absolute monsters.

It is true that Montana cannot win against a Yamato in a 1v1 fight most of the time, because she lacks the armor and penetration. But as some people have said, WoWs isn't a 1v1 fight.

Beta Tester
911 posts

If you can ignore the repair costs, all T10s are absolute monsters.

Your absolutely right on this, any T10 played well will rekt other ships. Each T10 line plays differently and it shows what their capabilities and strengths are in those lines.

In some of the super league games, it really doesn't matter what ship you bring. Each ship is quite capable.