You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

Question for Cleveland captains

15 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Hi all, just asking for some advices for the Cleveland... The flamethrower that get outsnipe...

I am finding the Cleveland rather difficult and even frustrating at times. This is due to her main battery range. Her main battery range is quite god Awful in my opinion, and to make the matter worst; I do not have concealment expert unlocked for my commander... This is a huge issue for me because the main armament whilst is devastating at close range it is utter shit at long range. With the current cowardice meta of Kongo and Fuso sitting near next to aircraft carriers sniping and US battleships being quite rare at time I tend to struggle because the shell velocity and range make it hard to combat CL and DD. 

Ok, I should stop rambling

my question is: What are some tips that you guys have for me ? As I know that the Cleveland is a fantastic ship but I am not using the ship correctly 

On another note, why do the two Tier 6 Russian cruisers have such a high WR (54%) When the third highest is only 50%

Pls no KV1 and KV1S in WOWS War Gaming

[AE]
202 posts
9,515 battles

The Cleveland is pretty average compared to the Budyonny. The Russian guns are laser accurate, and can hit hard. I've timed some of my Cleveland salvos and 15-18 seconds in the air is normal. Only, and I do mean only, way to hit anything at range is to ignore all else other than BB. Shoot the BB as they come towards you. Once you have the range you can burn em. But I think the guns truly gut this CA.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Practice. Lots of it. 

IIRC, Cleveland's arc hasn't changed significantly since CBT. You just need lots of practice to be able to hit consistently with it at range.

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Practice. Lots of it. 

IIRC, Cleveland's arc hasn't changed significantly since CBT. You just need lots of practice to be able to hit consistently with it at range.

Another question. I have AFT skill. Should I get concealment expert or demo expert ?

753 posts
8,965 battles

When the caliber for advanced firing training was lowered to not include 152mm was the death of her and others from the St Louis upwards. IMO the detection range for all ships affected by this adjustment should have been lowered as well. 

683 posts
7,367 battles

For me I ignore the advance firing training and go for demolition expert. I intend to get the concealment expert, but now I'm waiting for patch 0.5.9 to take out Situational awareness, as I might choose a second first tier skill AFTER they have confirmed the refund method for removing SA.

Cleveland Shells are almost no damage to BB at long range. AP does no damage to angled CA, and sometimes even bounce off from DD hulls. For me it's always HE until some Cruisers showing me the broadside at range less than 10km. So, DE is important. and to get close, Concealment is important.

435 posts
6,169 battles

I like the Cleveland it’s a great ship with good firepower against DDs and her piers but typical of all cruisers they have toilet paper armour against high tiers. All very low tiers ships can brawl but in the middle is where you learn to role play your class. In cruisers if I’m bottom tier then I just sit back and support some other ship, even AA CVs

I 've got the ship setup with an AA build and for the captain

Basic Firing Training

Situation Awareness

Expert Marksman

Superintendent

Demolition Expert

if I had the points Concealment Expert

Edited by Yul_Brynner

Super Tester
7,577 posts
8,001 battles

I'd recommend BFT + Expert Merksman + (no idea what is good at level 3, may be superintendent) + DE + CE.

Then you can take BoS and Last stand for the fun. 

(Assuming situational awareness is free for all captain).

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

take BFT, expert marksman or last stand or less fires (last stand has been proven to be useful a few times) Third skill get vigilance as you dont have much consumables to make use of superintendet anyways. get demo expert then concealment expert

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

with cleve: abuse island cover, get DD smoke whenever you can and NEVER, EVER be the first one to engage anything except DD or CV, unless they are equal tier cruiser or lower tier. AP broadside cruisers below 10km. AP broadside BB below 6km (make sure they are on fire first tho) when you engage DD actively maneuver so they cant hit their torps. Put loads of extra ticks on your lead

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

Practice. Lots of it. 

+1

To be rather successful with Cleveland at longer range engagements it really does come down to practice. Your friend is the HE shell with Cleveland, and your first goal is to always set ships on fire and keep them burning. If you close in for some brawling swap to AP for anything showing you its broadside and HE if they show you a bow or stern aspect. 

My Cleveland build is as follows:

BFT, Situational Awareness

Expert Marksman

Vigilence

AFT + Manual AA

I also have the AA Upgrades and premium DF installed.

As you may be able to tell, I can give CVs (up to T8) a huge headache. Anything ASuW is just general brawling or releasing my inner pyro. As for CE or DE I honestly don't think you need it to be good with the ship. I don't use them and it's one of my best performing ships.

Edited by ADM_dude

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

But tbh I think they should buff the cleve's concealment, right now the baltimore is even stealthier... The only two non premium cruisers that exceed cleve's detection in USN line are pepsi and Des Moines... I don't remember the cleve being bigger than a Baltimore or NO

205 posts
5,305 battles

I have:

SA

EM

Vigilance

DE + AFT

15th point is near, so will probably respec to CE.

Cleveland used to be a beast. When I started playing in October last year, she was my first T6 CL. Back then, she was tankier ... could easily bounce 14 in AP shells when well angled at close range. Her citadel was also well hidden. Nerfs have made her citadel bigger and her armor very meh.

Before the nerfs to AFT, BFT, and especially EM and the HE mechanics, I remember BBs running away when they saw a Cleveland. Now when I see a Cleveland in my BBs, she is just XP to be farmed.

Back then, she used to average 35k to 40k damage on average easily server wide. Now she is in the middle of the pack and the Buddy is king of T6 CAs/CLs. I love my Buddy ... reminds me a bit of the old Cleveland. That's power creep for ya.  :)

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

People keep saying cleve has a tiny cit. I remember drooling everytime I saw a cleve in my NY back then because every salvo got me a cit guaranteed. Most of my kills against cleve in BB were devastating strikes multi cits...

Super Tester
7,577 posts
8,001 battles

People keep saying cleve has a tiny cit. I remember drooling everytime I saw a cleve in my NY back then because every salvo got me a cit guaranteed. Most of my kills against cleve in BB were devastating strikes multi cits...

Well, since cleveland has good armor, your ap cannot overpen. Guaranteed dapage :D