You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FenrirApalis

Learning CV

35 comments in this topic

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

hey guys so I decided to try IJN CV in the test server and it looks like it worked out okay for me. Maybe the Langley's bad performance was what put me off from trying CV gameplay. I tried the Zuiho and I, surprisingly, really enjoyed it. Maybe it was because I played PVE. But anyways I feel like IJN CV are easier to start with if you are new to them and if any of you CV pros have suggestions please tell me

I am about to join the almost extinct World of Warships specie

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

well I mainly need help with manual bomb drop, I have barely hit a single bomb even against bots (I keep getting enemy to low HP with torps I want to finish with bombers) I have no problems with fighters and torp bombers. Also the way point thing is so annoying, one game my way point got accidently resetted to the center of the map and the next thing you know I was getting shot at

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Start with PvE as you are doing, go and watch the community youtube/captain's academy videos to get an idea of what to do.

Otherwise it is practice makes perfect lol

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

well I mainly need help with manual bomb drop, I have barely hit a single bomb even against bots (I keep getting enemy to low HP with torps I want to finish with bombers) I have no problems with fighters and torp bombers. Also the way point thing is so annoying, one game my way point got accidently resetted to the center of the map and the next thing you know I was getting shot at

Get familiar with their central axis.

For both your planes and the enemy ship.

For instance, dive bombers need to fly without making hard turns around +50% of the no-command circle's size else the drop will fail. Torpedo bombers, on the other hand, can make hard turns just outside the no-command circle and still drop.

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,000 battles

First, you need to remember that dive bombs hit their targets instantly when the planes actually drop the bombs.

That said, you need to predict the location of the target about 1.5 seconds after the circle goes yellow. Since dive bombers need to approach either bow on or from behind, make sure that you correct your course appropriately.

For maneuverable targets (DD, some cruisers), try to approach from behind since it gives you an easier time aiming and correcting the approach angle. For slower, bigger ships, bow on is fine since it reduces AA exposure and you will still hit your targets.

Since you said you are going down the IJN line, one thing you absolutely need to know is that their dive bombers are very accurate when manual dropped. They are accurate enough to hit DDs, though I mainly use them to set fires due to their poor alpha damage.

If you happen to try USN in the future, note that while Langley has smaller and similarly accurate bombs, Bogue and above have relatively large manual drop circles that you can aim somewhat poorly and still score hits, but leaves a lot of the results to RNG.

8 posts
69 battles

I have already finished Langley (painful) and the IJN's good concealment and speed is what I like. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe their torps are also better. I just really had a good time dropping those torpedoes on enemies lel, I don't think I will be going past tier 7 much since high tier AA is so deadly 

sry couldn't be bothered to log into my primary account to post lol

265 posts
799 battles

Yeay~ some thread about newly appointed CAGs

I must be honest the biggest problem in my CV play is guessing how the pthers play. I.E., I sail in my Langley, sent a DB squadron, and suddenly my route is blocked by hostile CAP. Is there any tips? Much appreciated

Edited by adnadi

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles

I'm there with you. Playing Hosho in PvE and learning leads, speed compensation, turning radius, approach angle, not spending too much time over a ship, dropping dds etc. But problem is AI does not try hard to avoid.

783 posts
4,819 battles

Since you are going the IJN line, as long as you practice manual drops with the TBs and nail them then you are good to go in the damage department.

I would recommend practicing it as early as now since it really does pay off at mid-high tiers. That, and with my recent matches this week, the number of Tier6/Tier7 (RJ/Indy/Ranger/Hiryu/Saipan) captains sporting the T5 Air supremacy skill is unusually a lot.

Also, there are times when auto-drop DB is better than manual drop DB on larger ships.

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,000 battles

Since you are going the IJN line, as long as you practice manual drops with the TBs and nail them then you are good to go in the damage department.

I would recommend practicing it as early as now since it really does pay off at mid-high tiers. That, and with my recent matches this week, the number of Tier6/Tier7 (RJ/Indy/Ranger/Hiryu/Saipan) captains sporting the T5 Air supremacy skill is unusually a lot.

Also, there are times when auto-drop DB is better than manual drop DB on larger ships.

The T6s/T7s having AS on them are a side effect on ranked and more sealclubbers... Its quite unpleasant to face those.

930 posts

• On Tier IV prepare to meet a lot of sealclubbers on carriers including me (but since you already has zuiho maybe you can skip this step). Tier IV carriers are good practice for US carrier gameplay (JP carrier gameplay practice starts at Zuiho)
  • On Tier V, prepare to meet Bogues or Ryujos (they usually field the fighter setup) though dont forget to check their Aircraft stat to prepare yourself. If you met a Zuiho then you have nothing to worry about aside from getting bombed early. Watch out for Cleveland, New Mexico, and Texas, Aoba at some point.
  • On Tier VI Ryujos are kind of pain since they would usually field the fighter setup (You're kind of lucky if they're on the bomber setup). Aside from Cleveland, Myoko, and Atlanta, you have nothing to worry about though you might take time picking someone to bomb.
  • Tier VII is where the fun usually starts for Japanese carriers. Cleveland and Atlanta would still be a pain, Pensacola at some point. Saipan would usually field the fighter setup. Just avoid engaging them on a dogfight aggressively. Watch out for Rangers with 42 Aircraft rating, they would usually field a fighter setup. Be careful bombing Colorado, Tirpitz. Watch out for New Orleans. Avoid bombing Amagi, North Carolina.
  • No difference on Tier VIII. Atlanta and New Orleans are still a pain here. Watch out for Lexington, they would either field a bomber of a fighter setup (you're lucky if you meet a Lexington using the stock setup). Watch out for Shokaku with AS perk on their captains too. Avoid bombing Amagi, North Carolina (unless if you have to, make sure your planes go unnoticed), Iowa. Watch out for Baltimore, Mikhail Kuzutov, Admiral Hipper, Roon, Chapayev, Ibuki, Fletcher, Udaloi.
  • Tier IX is where everyone have faster planes. JP CVs would now require a higher level of skill since you will need to micromanage your squads most of the time. Fighter Essex is somewhat of a problem but if you manage to watch the movements of his fighters, you can go through the game without losing a lot of planes. Bomber Essex, while having lesser squads, will need to be sneaky in order to bomb properly and deal damage. Watch out for Baltimore, Des Moines (dont even try go nearer than 7km), Moskva, Khabarovsk, Gearing. Be careful when bombing Fletcher (especially on a Taiho, they would usually have Def AA with em), Yamato, Iowa (yes, you can bomb Iowa with ease at this tier but be careful), Montana.

• Tier X is the same but this is where the only time US carriers will be fun. Hakuryu will need a lot of Micromanagement. Watch out for the same folks that I listed above.

265 posts
799 battles

I'll hazard a guess they're going for the 150 plane kills mission. Eh. As long as they stay away from my BB it's fine

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

• On Tier IV prepare to meet a lot of sealclubbers on carriers including me (but since you already has zuiho maybe you can skip this step). Tier IV carriers are good practice for US carrier gameplay (JP carrier gameplay practice starts at Zuiho)
  • On Tier V, prepare to meet Bogues or Ryujos (they usually field the fighter setup) though dont forget to check their Aircraft stat to prepare yourself. If you met a Zuiho then you have nothing to worry about aside from getting bombed early. Watch out for Cleveland, New Mexico, and Texas, Aoba at some point.
  • On Tier VI Ryujos are kind of pain since they would usually field the fighter setup (You're kind of lucky if they're on the bomber setup). Aside from Cleveland, Myoko, and Atlanta, you have nothing to worry about though you might take time picking someone to bomb.
  • Tier VII is where the fun usually starts for Japanese carriers. Cleveland and Atlanta would still be a pain, Pensacola at some point. Saipan would usually field the fighter setup. Just avoid engaging them on a dogfight aggressively. Watch out for Rangers with 42 Aircraft rating, they would usually field a fighter setup. Be careful bombing Colorado, Tirpitz. Watch out for New Orleans. Avoid bombing Amagi, North Carolina.
  • No difference on Tier VIII. Atlanta and New Orleans are still a pain here. Watch out for Lexington, they would either field a bomber of a fighter setup (you're lucky if you meet a Lexington using the stock setup). Watch out for Shokaku with AS perk on their captains too. Avoid bombing Amagi, North Carolina (unless if you have to, make sure your planes go unnoticed), Iowa. Watch out for Baltimore, Mikhail Kuzutov, Admiral Hipper, Roon, Chapayev, Ibuki, Fletcher, Udaloi.
  • Tier IX is where everyone have faster planes. JP CVs would now require a higher level of skill since you will need to micromanage your squads most of the time. Fighter Essex is somewhat of a problem but if you manage to watch the movements of his fighters, you can go through the game without losing a lot of planes. Bomber Essex, while having lesser squads, will need to be sneaky in order to bomb properly and deal damage. Watch out for Baltimore, Des Moines (dont even try go nearer than 7km), Moskva, Khabarovsk, Gearing. Be careful when bombing Fletcher (especially on a Taiho, they would usually have Def AA with em), Yamato, Iowa (yes, you can bomb Iowa with ease at this tier but be careful), Montana.
  • Tier X is the same but this is where the only time US carriers will be fun. Hakuryu will need a lot of Micromanagement. Watch out for the same folks that I listed above.

zuiho in test server lol. I do have enough free xp to just skip hosho tho

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

I'll hazard a guess they're going for the 150 plane kills mission. Eh. As long as they stay away from my BB it's fine

oh yeah thats right time to rock the fighterset up

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles

In above post by IJN_Yura, he said to avoid some ships. I think it would be, avoid bombing those batteships very early. Once they get enough HE beating, you can drop on them. For CA which are not USN and very high tier USSR and KM, just drop on them once you know their DF is in cd. Specially IJN.

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

I tried the Ryujo and fought with Independence

2squadrons were took down by 1 Indy squadron

4vs3 right above teammate Pheonix with an Aoba nearby, and lose all 4 fighters(while none of the enemy fighters were down)

Playing CV(especially IJN CV) feels like exploiting your brain

too many things to manage at the same time

and it's difficult to stand against the US CV

I believe that there's no solution for that(in current patch)

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

I tried the Ryujo and fought with Independence

2squadrons were took down by 1 Indy squadron

4vs3 right above teammate Pheonix with an Aoba nearby, and lose all 4 fighters(while none of the enemy fighters were down)

Playing CV(especially IJN CV) feels like exploiting your brain

too many things to manage at the same time

and it's difficult to stand against the US CV

I believe that there's no solution for that(in current patch)

I only care about the damage numbers really... I will probably try to just kill the enemy at the start of the match to eliminate opposition. I will play a lot of coop with the CV because coop is pure fun lel. I might use free XP and skip the Bogue, but I will play USN CV only to grind anti air medals lol. Probs play independence only because high tier AA too stronk

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles

I only care about the damage numbers really... I will probably try to just kill the enemy at the start of the match to eliminate opposition. I will play a lot of coop with the CV because coop is pure fun lel. I might use free XP and skip the Bogue, but I will play USN CV only to grind anti air medals lol. Probs play independence only because high tier AA too stronk

Isn't Bogue the #1 fav for CV clubbers?

783 posts
4,819 battles

Isn't Bogue the #1 fav for CV clubbers?

It's not exactly the go-to ship if you want to go for the win.

Mostly just for Clear Skies since it's not as possible at higher tiers.

Unless you mean Strike Loadout Bouge, then yes that thing is a clubber. Pretty rare to see though.

265 posts
799 battles

or Hosho/Langley (though i prefer Hosho more)

I like Langley's tight spread more than Hosho. 4 planes per flight doesn't cut it for me, at least at this stage