You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sukasaa

Question about USN Destroyers Captain Skills. =)

40 comments in this topic

102 posts
1,581 battles

I've worked on USN Destroyers and now at Tier 5 Nicholas my Captain skills are as follow.

1.Situational Awareness

2.Expert Marskman

3.SuperIntended

And Planning to get  4.Advanced Firing Training and 5. Concealment Expert

Am I using correct and most suitable skill set for USN Destroyers  or I can change them to work more efficient? =)

Would like to hear Opinions from you guys about this. ^_^

Skills.PNG

Super Tester
7,532 posts
7,978 battles

You will get rekt without last stand. This is not something you can skip in USN DD.

Situation Awareness (this is going to be changed in 0.5.9, so I would say wait)

Last Stand

Superintendent 

Advanced Firing

Concealment

These are the first 5.

Then you take Basic firing and Expert Marksman.

Good Luck.

Edited by icy_phoenix

266 posts
5,142 battles

Yup, as icy said, you will absolutely need Last Stand. If you have some doubloons consider dropping expert marksman (you don't need it, their turret traverse is so fast already) and switch it with LS.

But personally I wouldn't recommend taking AFT. USN DD's shell ballistics is soo horribly lazy that it's not worth it to fire further than 10 km. Instead, you might want to take Demolition Expert instead for more fire, or Survivability Expert to fight other DDs better. Remember, as a USN DD your main role will be to hunt enemy destroyers.

And for tier 3 skill, depending on your playstyle, Vigilance might be a better option than Superintendent. You will knife-fight other DDs a lot, so spotting their torps sooner will definitely help you.

Edited by AsakuraShinji

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

I like my US DDs as well, id take Last Stand and Demo Expert as the 2nd and 4th skill respectively. For the reasons stated above! :)

Super Tester
7,532 posts
7,978 battles

Yeah, my mistake. Demo Expert for USN is better. I remember I took AFT for IJN dds, cause they don't use guns much and extra range helps, cause the farther you stay from Usn dd in gun fight, the better. 

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

since SA is about to be given for free, get BFT right away. Expert marksman is useless on USN DD because their guns turn so fast already, especially higher tiers. Last stand is a must. Get demolition expert as that 3% really helps USN DD, at far range you won't hit anything but slow moving BB or CV anyways. Demo expert got me to set 4 fires in 20 seconds once to an Amagi

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Yup, as icy said, you will absolutely need Last Stand. If you have some doubloons consider dropping expert marksman (you don't need it, their turret traverse is so fast already) and switch it with LS.

But personally I wouldn't recommend taking AFT. USN DD's shell ballistics is soo horribly lazy that it's not worth it to fire further than 10 km. Instead, you might want to take Demolition Expert instead for more fire, or Survivability Expert to fight other DDs better. Remember, as a USN DD your main role will be to hunt enemy destroyers.

And for tier 3 skill, depending on your playstyle, Vigilance might be a better option than Superintendent. You will knife-fight other DDs a lot, so spotting their torps sooner will definitely help you.

I stopped taking vigilance after I got into a habit of active maneuver. Lots of skills can be traded for other skills (applies to upgrades as well) after you master some skills yourself. Superintendent is better because more smoke is better

266 posts
5,142 battles

I stopped taking vigilance after I got into a habit of active maneuver. Lots of skills can be traded for other skills (applies to upgrades as well) after you master some skills yourself. Superintendent is better because more smoke is better

Yeah, at tier 3 it's just a matter of preference actually. For some reason I have a habit of eating random torps in my DD, even those that aren't aimed at me, lol. And I rarely need more than 3 smokes in one match, so I took vigilance instead.

124 posts

since SA is about to be given for free, get BFT right away. Expert marksman is useless on USN DD because their guns turn so fast already, especially higher tiers. Last stand is a must. Get demolition expert as that 3% really helps USN DD, at far range you won't hit anything but slow moving BB or CV anyways. Demo expert got me to set 4 fires in 20 seconds once to an Amagi

Alternatively, instead of DE, I trained Survivability Expert as I knife fight. A lot.

Surviving awesome DD knife fights with enough HP remaining allowed me to be useful until the end of the match.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Alternatively, instead of DE, I trained Survivability Expert as I knife fight. A lot.

Surviving awesome DD knife fights with enough HP remaining allowed me to be useful until the end of the match.

get better at WASD HAX and dodge those shells like I do :trollface:

29 posts
5,594 battles

Depend on tier. For 15 point captain, there are 2 must have skills which are Situation Awareness(replace this with Basic Firing Training when 0.5.9 arrive) and Last Stand

level 3 skill

V-VII : Superintendent : for extra smoke for smoke firing

VIII-IX: Superintendent: for extra smoke and N2O shot, or Vigilance: for better torpedobeat, but most of IJN torps are easy to spot at this tier

X: Torpedo Acceleration: 'cause Gearing, 13.2 km with 71 knots torpedo is awesome

level 4 skill

V-VII: Demolition Expert: your guns are not as rapid as Benson-Gearing, remember it's the main damage for your ship (might be torp with Mahan), and you're not stealthy enough to hunt IJN DD effectively, so extra damage from fire is a good deal.

VIII-X: Survivability Expert: a must have, with good concealment form tier VIII+ module and rapid firing guns, you can now knife fight every DD and ruining IJN DD's day while still be able to stealth torp.

level  5 skill

V-X : Concealment Expert: why not?

after 15 point

V-VI : Expert Marksman: WD-40 for those turrets.

VII-X : Torpedo Armament Expertise: faster reload torpedo

Extra: Clemson's seal clubbing setup (18 pt.)

Situation Awareness, Basic Firing Training, Last Stand, Superintendent, Vigilance, Demolition Expert, Advanced Firing Training 

507 posts
9,826 battles

Lfjr9EZ.png

+1 for this. Have the same one. 

Now that youre getting a free point one might go with Torp Acceleration or Extra Smoke,

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

+1 for this. Have the same one. 

Now that youre getting a free point one might go with Torp Acceleration or Extra Smoke,

I will go for extra smoke for sure :D:D:D

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,472 battles

I must say its a big NO to ditch Survivability Expert for anything else on any DD (except Blys, Tashkent, Udaloi, khaba).

A fair bit of extra HP is always good.

Super Tester
1,296 posts
9,726 battles

I must say its a big NO to ditch Survivability Expert for anything else on any DD (except Blys, Tashkent, Udaloi, khaba).

thats why i dubbed it 'nch style' for a reason. :honoring:

Super Tester
7,532 posts
7,978 battles

After you get concealment. You cannot afford spending skill points before you reach T5 skill.

Oh I misread the skill name. Sorry for the mistake, ignore this.

Edited by icy_phoenix