You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stein_Grenadier

0.5.9 Discussion

101 comments in this topic

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

New Co-op Mode

From the earliest versions of the game, Co-op Battles existed as a lighter version of the Random Battles, which didn’t offer anything unique to the players in terms of gameplay. Regardless, many commanders enjoyed playing against bots, which showed us that Co-op Battles have potential for further development. In version 0.5.9, we are adding a new mode called Assault to Co-op Battles, where players will face superior enemy forces in battle. Here are the main features of this mode:

Available when playing Tier IV-VIII ships;

• There are three scenarios in the mode:

• Strait map (Tier IV-VI): players attack enemy base;
  • Fault Line map (Tier V-VII): players defend two bases;
  • Estuary map (Tier VI-VIII): players defend two bases;

Voice Communication

To facilitate easy coordination within divisions, a built-in voice chat has been added. In order to use this mode of communication, you'll need to go to your sound settings and turn it on. You can also adjust the volume, microphone sensitivity, and activation method (toggle open mic or push to talk).

Visibility system

We made a couple of major changes to the visibility system, keeping in mind that our objective is to make it more logical for players.

• Added an option to enable the display of smokescreen edges on the surface of water. This is based on the popular modification "Hedgehog in the Fog". It will help players to see the real edge of the smokescreen and plan their actions better during battle;

• A popular skill, Situational Awareness (which displays notifications upon detection of enemy ships), will now be given to all commanders by default and removed from the commander skills matrix. This will help to ease beginners into the game, and allow experienced players to research some other skills instead of having skill points tied up in Situational Awareness. Compensation will also be provided as a result of this change. The rules for compensation are as follows:

• If the Situation Awareness is the only researched 1 level skill of the commander, it will be replaced with Basics of Survivability;

• If the commander has other 1 level skills besides Situational Awareness, he will be given 1 skill point (the price of the Situational Awareness skill);

• Smoke screen mechanics have been made more stable and predictable:

• Smoke screens now begin setting in 2 seconds after the consumable has been activated. We have also eliminated many unpleasant situations where ships could be sighted while setting smokescreens, which resulted in ships "blinking" while deploying smoke.

• If the smoke screen is being set when the ship is in motion and the enemies are straight ahead or to the side, then the ship will always be spotted in accordance with the following rule:
    • If the speed of the ship is lower than or equal to 12.5 knots, smoke conceals her while she is in motion;
    • If the speed of the ship is greater than 12.5 knots, smoke does not conceal her while she is in motion;

Speed restrictions may change depending on Public Test results.

Aircraft visibility will now be bound by rules that are similar to those for ships. Aircraft outside of the ship's view range will not be displayed in the in-game environment, but will still be displayed on the minimap

Players will now be able to see the shells and torpedoes spotted both by him and by allies

Armour of US Battleships

As part of our efforts to continuously improve gameplay, we are still revising all armour models in the game. Our goal is to bring the models created at different stages of development of the project to the same level of detail. In version 0.5.9, the models for US battleships and British premium battleship Warspite will be refined. In some cases, this led us to redistribute up to 5% of the ship's durability points around the insides of the ship. Also, improved detailisation of bevels and lines created additional conditions for AP shells to ricochet in some situations, especially when they hit the bow and stern projections. Armour interaction with HE fragmentation shells and bombs is not affected.

Other

• In line with the wishes of players, the minimap has been improved. For example, players can now save minimap settings for each ship, and the transparency of rings on the minimap can also be adjusted.

• As part of our efforts to make the game more accessible to beginners, the account level system has been improved. For example, we added videos that will play as the player progresses, to demonstrate new possibilities opening up with each new level. We've also changed the layout of the progression window.
  • Maps have gone through many gameplay changes that are aimed making combat operations start sooner. Besides that, new decorative onshore objects have been added on the on maps Sea of Fortune, Mountain Range, Path of the Warrior, and Estuary
  • The following ships are now available in the game client for testing by developers and supertesters: Nassau, Kaiser, König, Bayern, Gneisenau, Bismarck, Friedrich der große, Großer Kurfürst, Dunkerque. These ships are not available for purchase and research, but players may encounter them in battle.

-------------------------------------------

Personal reaction:

FINALLY, FREE SITUATIONAL AWARENESS!!!

NO MORE PAINFUL RETRAINING GRIND!!!

Edited by Stein_Grenadier

[KEBAB]
Super Tester
195 posts
6,024 battles

Situational Awareness as standard for all commanders. How do you fellas reckon this would help the "less informed" members of our community?

Super Tester
1,056 posts
8,991 battles

I'm a bit more concerned about those with higher level captains that only have SA at the moment. If they wait for the patch to land, they will have BoS instead which may be not as good as BFT for some (DDs, non-tank CAs).

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,475 battles

Situational Awareness as standard for all commanders. How do you fellas reckon this would help the "less informed" members of our community?

It shouldn`t change anything, everyone gets 1 extra point for their captain.

It was a must have for any type of ship.

[KEBAB]
Super Tester
195 posts
6,024 battles

It shouldn`t change anything, everyone gets 1 extra point for their captain.

It was a must have for any type of ship.

But it should help the "less informed" members of the player base, yes?

[KEBAB]
Super Tester
195 posts
6,024 battles

I'm a bit more concerned about those with higher level captains that only have SA at the moment. If they wait for the patch to land, they will have BoS instead which may be not as good as BFT for some (DDs, non-tank CAs).

If they didn't have the BFT before the update, it would be unfortunate that they would have to re-spec just to get that after freeing up that point from SA only to have it go to BoS. Most would just shrug and continue until they could afford to re-spec I suppose.

But does the line;

• If the commander has other 1 level skills besides Situational Awareness, he will be given 1 skill point (the price of the Situational Awareness skill);

mean that if they have either BoS or any other level 1 skill already they would get 1 point back?

266 posts
5,142 battles

Yea, the default situational awareness is definitely the star of this patch. xD

I wish they would give free respec instead tho...

I also think it won't change much. Those who know its use will just go on like usual. Those who never bothered with SA in the first place will probably just ignore it. Worst case, there might be an increase in players who turn their ship and run away the instant moment they are detected.  :sceptic:

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,475 battles

But it should help the "less informed" members of the player base, yes?

Would it?

I think you expect too much from the 'less informed'.

They probably will not have any idea how to use the information provided (the 'detected!' icon).

*edit : typo

Edited by nchnch

Super Tester
1,056 posts
8,991 battles

If they didn't have the BFT before the update, it would be unfortunate that they would have to re-spec just to get that after freeing up that point from SA only to have it go to BoS. Most would just shrug and continue until they could afford to re-spec I suppose.

But does the line;

mean that if they have either BoS or any other level 1 skill already they would get 1 point back?

If you only had SA, you get BoS instead (no point compensation).

If you had both SA and another T1 skill (BFT for example), then SA will be removed, BFT will stay, and you will have 1 extra point to spend.

If you only have any of the other T1 skills (BFT, BoS, ERG, EL), that captain remains unchanged (no skill change, no points compensated)

[KEBAB]
Super Tester
195 posts
6,024 battles

FREE SITUATIONAL AWARENESS!!!

Add German BB for test? Could we see in tech tree?(Preview)

Nope, for both this public test and for 5.9 live the German BBs will be used by devs and supertesters. They're not going to be view able from the port anytime soon

[KEBAB]
Super Tester
195 posts
6,024 battles

Would it?

I think you expect too much from the 'less informed'.

They probably will not have any idea hot to use the information provided (the 'detected!' icon).

Was asking though, wasn't expecting.

So it seems we both think that they'll take it for granted, haha

[KEBAB]
Super Tester
195 posts
6,024 battles

If you only had SA, you get BoS instead (no point compensation).

If you had both SA and another T1 skill (BFT for example), then SA will be removed, BFT will stay, and you will have 1 extra point to spend.

If you only have any of the other T1 skills (BFT, BoS, ERG, EL), that captain remains unchanged (no skill change, no points compensated)

Poo, for real? What about the amount of exp needed for the next skill point? No change? That's a bit of a let down

Edit: Don't mind this reply. I have misunderstood the reply on my first pass, I understand that of course, a tier 1 skill should be researched in order to progress to the rest of the levels.

Edited by derekPo

Super Tester
1,056 posts
8,991 battles

Poo, for real? What about the amount of exp needed for the next skill point? No change? That's a bit of a let down

The announcement did not indicate any changes in XP, only captain skill points and the skill themselves, so this may screw over high level captains that only have SA equipped and have not gotten the next point yet (lower levels can gain points relatively quickly).

I expect this part to be the most "controversial" a.k.a. "whinable" aspect of this patch. Thankfully, The only 2 captains that are affected for me can be rushed to the next point with little time.
Edited by stratmania

[KEBAB]
Super Tester
195 posts
6,024 battles

I expect this part to be the most "controversial" a.k.a. "whinable" aspect of this patch. Thankfully, The only 2 captains that are affected for me can be rushed to the next point with little time.

Though, when you mentioned this; "If you only have any of the other T1 skills (BFT, BoS, ERG, EL), that captain remains unchanged (no skill change, no points compensated)" wouldn't you still be compensated one point since WG mentioned
  • "If the commander has other 1 level skills besides Situational Awareness, he will be given 1 skill point (the price of the Situational Awareness skill);"

wouldn't it mean the commander would be compensated one skill point whether the commander has one or every other skill at that level?

Edit: Don't mind this reply. I have misunderstood the reply on my first pass, I understand that of course, a tier 1 skill should be researched in order to progress to the rest of the levels.

Edited by derekPo

Super Tester
1,056 posts
8,991 battles

Though, when you mentioned this; "If you only have any of the other T1 skills (BFT, BoS, ERG, EL), that captain remains unchanged (no skill change, no points compensated)" wouldn't you still be compensated one point since WG mentioned
  • "If the commander has other 1 level skills besides Situational Awareness, he will be given 1 skill point (the price of the Situational Awareness skill);"

wouldn't it mean the commander would be compensated one skill point whether the commander has one or every other skill at that level?

Edit: Fixed placement of one of the quotation markings

I interpreted that line as having other T1 skills in addition to SA, which is covered by the 2nd scenario in my reply (1 point compensation, SA removed, other T1 skill stays).

[KEBAB]
Super Tester
195 posts
6,024 battles

I interpreted that line as having other T1 skills in addition to SA, which is covered by the 2nd scenario in my reply (1 point compensation, SA removed, other T1 skill stays).

Ah I see. I misunderstood that last one and had to reread it.

Edit: Clarification

Edited by derekPo

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

incoming tears of salt for not getting free SA in WOT in 3....2....1.... :trollface:

The grind is real :(

[LBAS]
4,468 posts
25,642 battles

CA and BB is ok

DD no use. BFT is better

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,475 battles

CA and BB is ok

DD no use. BFT is better

Combined with Last Stand, its not completely useless for DDs.

When you`re getting fired at, you don`t hit R unless you`re on fire.

Shaving off around 2 to 8 seconds from the module repair time can help you preserve your magical 'R' button in some situations.

507 posts
9,826 battles

Visibility system

We made a couple of major changes to the visibility system, keeping in mind that our objective is to make it more logical for players.

• Added an option to enable the display of smokescreen edges on the surface of water. This is based on the popular modification "Hedgehog in the Fog". It will help players to see the real edge of the smokescreen and plan their actions better during battle;
  • A popular skill, Situational Awareness (which displays notifications upon detection of enemy ships), will now be given to all commanders by default and removed from the commander skills matrix. This will help to ease beginners into the game, and allow experienced players to research some other skills instead of having skill points tied up in Situational Awareness. Compensation will also be provided as a result of this change. The rules for compensation are as follows:
    • If the Situation Awareness is the only researched 1 level skill of the commander, it will be replaced with Basics of Survivability;

They gotta be kidding.Then want to replace..not all want basics of survivability. Give a respec for pete's sake.