Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
yobbo1972

Line of sight Question

10 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

ok just a question regarding line of sight.

now ive noticed this more so in rank battles than pub games because less numbers of ships.

Now when playing a DD, I've noticed that when ships go behind a island they lose line of sight and disappear right? Even if they have been firing their guns they still disappear as soon as line of sight is broken.

now when a DD has popped smoke and there is a ship on either side of the smoke( your DD popped the smoke and not sit in the smoke but run away still) the same rules of line of sight don't seem to be applied meaning that a ship will still remain detected for up to 10 secs if that ship has fired its guns or if that ship is in detection range.

Now the other day I was in a battle with 2 DDs one had popped smoke and was hiding in his smoke and another one who I was shooting at turned away and sailed behind an island, now as soon as I lost line of sight with him, he disappeared from my screen, I stopped firing, but the enemy in the smoke kept firing at me even tho I turned he was still able to track me.

Now on the mini map when you fire your guns the detection circle balloons out and stays ballooned for the 10 secs if you are detected, but if you fire your gun and no ship has detected you, your circle goes back to normal detection size with in 1 second. I've also noticed if your ship sails behind an island the detection circle goes back to normal size as well in this case 6.6km(sims) straight away with out waiting for the 10sec period.

but when there is smoke between 2 ships your detection circle remains ballooned out for the 10secs period even tho there is no line of sight between the 2 ships because of the smoke.

have other players also noticed this? are the line of sight rules applied in the same way as it would be with islands compared with smoke?

505 posts
4,176 battles

i encounter this problem recently in my hatsuharu i pop smoke and retreat  yet i was detected by smoke , i heard smoke takes a few seconds like 1-2 seconds to finish deployment during that time you are still visible

but sometimes they can still spot you or detect you somehow...

good question i do want an answer too

btw im not spotted by those radar/sonar on higher tier cruisers

and i didnt fire anyshots i just torp and ran

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

yeah when u pop smoke and stay in the smoke it can take anywhere from 5-10 secs before the smoke works and your not detected any more, as long as u remain in the smoke.

but I'm talking about when smoke is fully deployed and your ship is on one side of it and a enemy ship is on the other side of it.

it looks like smoke doesn't have the same line of sight rules as a island does.

Edited by yobbo1972

507 posts
9,828 battles

if you move out of the smoke puff and there is someone within your detection circle you will be spotted, unless your'e going behind a previous puff then you won't be. 

The Propulsion mod makes it easier to stop so you don't outrun you're own smoke.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

you will be spotted aslong as there is ship within the detection bloom and is in an angle where it could see you

but that's what I'm saying, there is no ship within the detection radius, the ship is out side the 6.6km range of the sims, there is smoke between me and him. neither one of us is in smoke  but the detection circle on the mini map is still ballooned out even tho there is no line of sight because of the smoke and ive stopped firing( the detection circle on the map balloons out to about 10.2km on the sims when firing)

it seems to me that the smoke doesn't have the same line of sight rules as the islands do. if your behind an island and u fire the detection circle balloons out to 10.2km and if there's no ships within the 10.2km line of sight to you, the ballooned detection circle lasts for 1 sec before going back to 6.6km,  if you fire and a ship  is with in the 10.2km detection range when firing then you are spotted and the detection circle stays ballooned at 10.2km for 10 secs. unless u sail behind an island and not have line of sight anymore.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

To me smoke should have the same line of sight rules as islands do.

if you sail behind the smoke and no not sail into smoke but behind it, then you should loose line of sight and disappear of that's ships screen, but you don't.

if you sail behind a island that ship looses line of sight and disappears of your screen. the same thing should apply to smoke

Edited by yobbo1972

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,001 battles

As long as you cant see from the enemy's perspective, you can't be so sure. May be he was just making guessed shots?

However, there is certainly something wrong with the detection line of sight when ships come out through a corner of an island. Let me add a video time stamp here as an example (13m15s, marked as video start).

The moskva came around the island, took shot at me, then became visible.  I should be able to see his long bow already, but he was able to see me alright.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

As long as you cant see from the enemy's perspective, you can't be so sure. May be he was just making guessed shots?

However, there is certainly something wrong with the detection line of sight when ships come out through a corner of an island. Let me add a video time stamp here as an example (13m15s, marked as video start).

The moskva came around the island, took shot at me, then became visible.  I should be able to see his long bow already, but he was able to see me alright.

yeah I know what you mean with this as well, other ships that come around islands tend to see me and fire at me b4 I get to see them which is strange but I put that down to sever lag?

well if you cant see him then he shouldn't be able to see you from the same angle. smoke screens should act like a island as you cant see thru the smoke and should lose line of sight if its 1 v1 ship and no aircraft around and in rank battles when its 1 v 1 DD

Edited by yobbo1972

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,001 battles

yeah I know what you mean with this as well, other ships that come around islands tend to see me and fire at me b4 I get to see them which is strange but I put that down to sever lag?

well if you cant see him then he shouldn't be able to see you from the same angle. smoke screens should act like a island as you cant see thru the smoke and should lose line of sight if its 1 v1 ship and no aircraft around and in rank battles when its 1 v 1 DD

Well, if I only have server lag around the mountain that is going to be a problem. I carefully noticed when this happened and this happens quite regularly. So I came to believe that, if you can't see the coning tower of enemy ship, you don't see the ship at all. That is strange. This is consistent on all the instances I have noticed this. Ships stay hidden as long as the main superstructure is not visible. Bow and stern do not count for visibility for some reason. Not just against me, I often see I am clearly exposed around an island, but my S/A bulb is off, it goes on as soon as my super structure come around the corner. I would say I should be able to see bow and stern as well, at least within 10km or so range.

My ping is usually from 35-50. Could be server lag, but could be error in game mechanics too. Only devs can tell.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Sign in to follow this