Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
KirstieBeau

Cleveland Problems

25 comments in this topic

173 posts
5,332 battles

Is it just me or is the Cleveland too easy to pen now? Cleveland is my favorite cruiser and I hear a lot on the forums that she was difficult to citadel. However, whenever I play her, I usually got the ear-ringing sound of citadel hit at every match even though I am pretty angled and taking evasive maneuvers against a BB 12 kms. away. It's like I get cit hits more often when I angle this ship. Heck I even lose something like 20,000 HP while running away. Is it normal for the Cleveland? I get less penetrating hits on my glass cannon Konigsberg than on my Cleveland.

507 posts
9,828 battles

That ringing sound comes from taking Heavy damage not a citadel.It just happens to be that heavy damage is associated with a citadel penetration. It has solid armor for its tier. 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

One of the Cruiser with best armor on the tier

She use CA tier Armor afterall

Just need to angle her hull

Even Atago cant pen easily an angling cleveland from close range

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

Slightly angled cruisers receive more damage than totally broadside ones from battleships. Atago is 2 tier higher, just take Aoba, Aoba also pens Cleveland all day...

451 posts
6,946 battles

Cleveland is only classified as "light" cruiser due to armament. There is nothing "light" about that hull at all. That also means that AP will deal very solid damage should it get through at a proper angle, rather than overpen in many other light cruisers.

173 posts
5,332 battles

That ringing sound comes from taking Heavy damage not a citadel.It just happens to be that heavy damage is associated with a citadel penetration. It has solid armor for its tier. 

Thanks for the clarification.

Cleveland is only classified as "light" cruiser due to armament. There is nothing "light" about that hull at all. That also means that AP will deal very solid damage should it get through at a proper angle, rather than overpen in many other light cruisers.

So sometimes armor angling in a CL is a double-edged sword after all? On cruiser AP it might bounce, but on BB AP, it might penetrate and deal heavy damage rather than overpen, am I right? I have a habit of angling my Cleveland whenever BBs fire on me and we know how annoyed BBs are to the Cleveland. :teethhappy:

435 posts
6,169 battles

Tip: aim just under the Cleveland two front turrets at the water line, citadel sweet spot.

When driving this is the area to protect the most, the Bow

Edited by Yul_Brynner

507 posts
9,828 battles

Thanks for the clarification.

So sometimes armor angling in a CL is a double-edged sword after all? On cruiser AP it might bounce, but on BB AP, it might penetrate and deal heavy damage rather than overpen, am I right? I have a habit of angling my Cleveland whenever BBs fire on me and we know how annoyed BBs are to the Cleveland. :teethhappy:

Exactly.Cleveland has a tiny citadel area..it's still a cruiser so it takes a lot of regular penetration damage.If you are caught in a turn and or red underbelly comes out then you can be citadeled.

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Clevelands are far easier to damage when its angled/bow on because the shell won't overpen its thin armor.. Its actually much harder to damage a completely broadside Cleveland because chances are your AP shells would overpen its thin hull..

So yeah, you need to go broadside more often :D

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Clevelands are far easier to damage when its angled/bow on because the shell won't overpen its thin armor.. Its actually much harder to damage a completely broadside Cleveland because chances are your AP shells would overpen its thin hull..

Maybe that why i sucks at this ship... i always bow in and get kill :(

[KGHSF]
3,224 posts
6,072 battles

Maybe that why i sucks at this ship... i always bow in and get kill :(

Why don't play your own Shima-tan instead? Cleve only build support AA wall and flamethrower but like you said it's not suit for head on I remember pesicola easily broken:teethhappy:

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Definitely Heavy Damage. Based on my experience controlling or damaging the said ship.

There is a possibility of overpent with Battleship's AP shell at 10km & 14km.

Possibility of penetration with Cruiser's AP shell at 10km (German Cruiser, especial mention), tried it with my Aoba but would prefer to burn everyone with my Aoba.

505 posts
4,176 battles

so you are saying if a cleveland have her bow at you you just shoot at it ? compare to a broadsided cleveland?

783 posts
4,826 battles

so you are saying if a cleveland have her bow at you you just shoot at it ? compare to a broadsided cleveland?

Kind of. It's easier to damage a Cleveland while it's angled rather than full broadside. Oh how many times I've raged at a perfectly lined shot against a perfectly lined Cleveland only for it to overpen(citadel overpens included). Only on BBs though. It's the reverse for cruiser caliber guns.

173 posts
5,332 battles

LOL. Maybe I should try being more of a broadsiding scrub on a battleship on a 1v1 scenario. I really suck at Cleveland just looking at my win rate on that ship.

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

LOL. Maybe I should try being more of a broadsiding scrub on a battleship on a 1v1 scenario. I really suck at Cleveland just looking at my win rate on that ship.

Euro only plays battleships, and he wants you to be a broad siding scrub!!

Battleships will deal heavy damage no matther what. And if they are good shooters, you will often give them "Devastating Strikes". I have got many from poor Clevelands who were stationary behind island, spamming HE on friendlies .

Edited by icy_phoenix

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

Also, I'm not sure why it happens, if you find a broadside cruiser close to your battleship, instead of double click fire, do the long press shooting. Usually kills the target in one salvo. I can't explain it.

29 posts
5,629 battles

The only problem with Cleveland is that she's too addictive to stop playing (And make me forget the way to play other USN CAs). Yes, I know that my avg. damage in Cleveland isn't and never will be amazing, but she's really good at crushing people's dream. Sure you're a cruiser winning a BB head on is not an option (unless you have HE with 3.3k+ braindeath damage and 20000% fire chance or something like that). The best way to play cheatland when you're spotted by BB at close range, with no cover nearby, is to bow in, yes getting close, running won't make your 13.3 km-detection ship survive anything. So, before you die, getting close and burn that BB until you going down, make yourself the smallest target possible (so you won't be hit by multiple shell) and don't stop firing. AP is also effective, you might not believe me but recently, I have hit all tier V-VII BB's citadel with Clevy's AP.

Conclusion: Clevy's armor is good, but against BB, it's too much for a cruiser, also don't run, brawl for more damage is worth more than running away and getting hit anyway, AP to BB superstructure at close range can give you 5k+ damage per salvo

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Euro only plays battleships, and he wants you to be a broad siding scrub!!

Battleships will deal heavy damage no matther what. And if they are good shooters, you will often give them "Devastating Strikes". I have got many from poor Clevelands who were stationary behind island, spamming HE on friendlies .

Come on, we all love broadsides :D

But then again sometimes i'm glad some folks keep their ship angled especially DDs, i love nuking them with AP and wrecking their guts from bow to stern..

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

Come on, we all love broadsides :D

But then again sometimes i'm glad some folks keep their ship angled especially DDs, i love nuking them with AP and wrecking their guts from bow to stern..

Yeah, me too :D

Guns, torpedo tubes, rudder engine... so many things break... that many shells didn't even hit the poor wiggling DD. Today met a few broadsiding Clevelands, and we made sure they go back to port quickly :D

Super Tester
7,578 posts
8,005 battles

Conclusion: Clevy's armor is good, but against BB, it's too much for a cruiser, also don't run, brawl for more damage is worth more than running away and getting hit anyway, AP to BB superstructure at close range can give you 5k+ damage per salvo

Then again, when very close to a battleship, bow on will simply make you die quicker, since shots will not overpen at all. And while you get burn damage, it is totally repairable. You just need to find ships whose turrets aren't looking at you.

Sign in to follow this