You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Brendoonigan

What do people record on?

23 comments in this topic

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Hi guys, I'm sure this has been asked many a time but times changes, programmes improved etc so wanted the most up to date info on recording gameplay.

I have a new I5 6500, 16G Ram, with a Asus Stix GTX960 video card and wanted to start recording my games so I can re-evaluate my game play. However what's the best way to record it, is it solely through the info supplied on the pinned forum thread or are there apps programmes out there which will do it for me. I didn't really want to have to go in and make changes so hoping there's an alternative.

NB: preferably free as the Scharnhorst is almost here!

Thanks 

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

Noting you have a GTX960, you should have ShadowPlay available for you to record with. Accessible via the GeForce Experience program which should have been installed with the GPU.

nVidia's GeForce website: http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience

Edited by ADM_dude

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles

Noting you have a GTX960, you should have ShadowPlay available for you to record with. Accessible via the GeForce Experience program which should have been installed with the GPU.

nVidia's GeForce website: http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience

ShadowPlay is the best one out there, but be careful. At highest quality, it will take a lot of space.

First you have to start GforceExperience, then there is a ShadowPlay icon in the top right side of menu bar. Make sure the setting is manual, it will only record last 5 minutes if on auto.

For final editing, use something like Adobe Premiere Pro. Camtasia studio distorts your audio.

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

GeForce 930M cant use shadow play :(((((

Shadowplay only works on GTX cards, but its such a wonderful recording program that doesn't sap performance when its running..

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Shadowplay only works on GTX cards, but its such a wonderful recording program that doesn't sap performance when its running..

what if there is a way to make it work on my laptop... :hmm:

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

<redacted>

**Sorry for some reason i kept thinking it was a 960

Edited by ADM_dude

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Uh...pretty sure the 960M is a GTX card :hmm: Because mine is a 765M and it runs ShadowPlay quite fine

Dont think mine is GTX. I am on laptop...

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

Dont think mine is GTX. I am on laptop...

**My appologies, I kept thinking it was a 960 when it's a 930. My bad
Edited by ADM_dude

199 posts
6,037 battles

what if there is a way to make it work on my laptop... :hmm:

In the past, I manage to force start the Shadowplay on my GT 740m and want to use it to record Battlefield 3. The results are not so pretty. After 5 seconds the recorder start, the game crash. Don't even bother trying to force it on non-GTX cards. If you still insist trying it, run this command on Run: C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience\GFExperience.exe -shadowplay

Or simply follow the instruction on this video

Use Windows 10 Recorder. I use that to record WoWs without worry. Just remember to change the display setting from Full Screen to Window Full Screen.

Edited by Delta_Sierra

Super Tester
562 posts
4,462 battles

Good news, I can record using the Shadow play system. It took me a while to work it out but it turned out it's s lot easier than I thought it was going to be to do it.

So if I want to get feedback on a few games to see what I'm doing wrong whats the best method of doing this? Maybe a You-tube account, or is there a better way?

cheers

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles

Good news, I can record using the Shadow play system. It took me a while to work it out but it turned out it's s lot easier than I thought it was going to be to do it.

So if I want to get feedback on a few games to see what I'm doing wrong whats the best method of doing this? Maybe a You-tube account, or is there a better way?

cheers

You have two options, upload your replay file to http://wowreplays.com/ and let people know the link. Although, this is not very convenient way cause most people wont like to download and then run the game to see your play.

So, YouTube is the natural choice. You could use Vimeo too but that is not as fast as YouTube.

However, do note one thing, ShadowPlay will produce very large files which are not suitable for YouTube upload. You need to use Adobe Premiere or Camtasia Studio like softwares to edit the video with proper YouTube settings.

I use Shadow Play + Adobe Audition + Adobe Premiere.

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles

downer, I did wonder about there size.... will look into the Adobe stuff you use.

cheers

First you record your game with shadow play, you get around a 5 GB file for 20 minutes of game @1080 with high quality.

Then you edit the video file using premier, this video will quickly show you how select proper settings for Youtube:

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Strange, it's what I use for my vids.

Frapps and OBS are also good choices

I am not sure if I tried that on my old laptop or new one, I will try again some time. Hope it works well

btw it would be better if you adjust the voice volume in your videos