You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kongman

no cv's

49 comments in this topic

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Can only speak about my personal opinion.

We're almost one year post launch now and CV gameplay as still as boring and unresponsive (control wise) as it was at the start.

I miss those air battles for aerial supremacy in alpha where I'd regularly meet a fighter and strike loadout CV running in a division,

however even then with controls clunkier than those of Dune 2000... why bother?

Plus I doubt that CV gameplay will get any major overhauls in the next year, unless WG manages to pull a "Surprise twist!".

Then again the latest patch brought us a badly needed reworked matchmaker... so I guess unicorns do exist.

Oh yeah, there's also the issue that I researched the Ranger and moved my captain to her, so now my Independence is without a good captain

and I don't really want to play the tier VII Ranger, because high tier snorefests bore the living potatah out of me.

Jump to a year earlier: (More like 2 years, considering I made the same post during alpha) Link

450 posts
7,896 battles

To bring back the CV players, WG can release some challenges, like 50,000 credits for sinking one ship in every game, then there will be a shit load of CV players, ranged from awesome to pieces of crap

[BRU]
309 posts
11,163 battles

That's true, I have never seen CV players especially higher tiers. As a CV player, I got affected by it but that doesn't stop me from playing CV. If you want to see CV, play at tiers 4-5.

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,025 battles

That's true, I have never seen CV players especially higher tiers. As a CV player, I got affected by it but that doesn't stop me from playing CV. If you want to see CV, play at tiers 4-5.

That's where all the sealclubbers are. 

Super Tester
7,561 posts
8,001 battles

Just played 5 games, and yesterday 14, almost every mach there were cvs. All tier 7. Easiest class to complete that arp mission and us cv missions at the same time.

[BRU]
309 posts
11,163 battles

That's where all the sealclubbers are. 

Yeah, I am a sealclubber for farming credits but I also play higher tiers too. My highest tier I ever reached is Tier 9, both researched Taiho and Essex.

[BOTES]
94 posts
3,501 battles

To bring back the CV players, WG can release some challenges, like 50,000 credits for sinking one ship in every game, then there will be a shit load of CV players, ranged from awesome to pieces of crap

The current trend of earning 400k a day is nice but doesn't deal with the pathetically low rewards of playing CV. The ONLY thing CV can do is damage, you might get some cap defends or some such if you're in the right place at the right time.

CV damage has poor scaling and people forget I only get to attack 1x per 4/5 minutes. Considering the damage it's on par with a decent BB player but still too low considering how frequently I'm bottom tiered as a LEX in a t10 game with yamato and montana (particularly the latter is almost immune to attack. It comes down to identifying and then specifically attacking the montana who is getting shelled with HE and that's on top of dodging enemy fighters and other ships AA).

So what is the core issue with CV? They're the most unrewarding class to play. They are toxic to the game, USN for being so mediocre t4-7 and then outright awful at t8+. IJN are toxic for having no functional weaknesses and being the very same monobuild that WG nerfed USN to prevent.

See this image for my evidence,

http://imgur.com/8b1A9z8

1,126 posts

as a IJNDD player, no CV means my life is a whole lot more easier .:teethhappy:

being hunted by US/RUDD is nightmare enough...

i mean... their plane spotting ability is way---- too powerful, rendered me into useless ship in many match

Edited by PGM991

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,025 battles

The current trend of earning 400k a day is nice but doesn't deal with the pathetically low rewards of playing CV. The ONLY thing CV can do is damage, you might get some cap defends or some such if you're in the right place at the right time.

CV damage has poor scaling and people forget I only get to attack 1x per 4/5 minutes. Considering the damage it's on par with a decent BB player but still too low considering how frequently I'm bottom tiered as a LEX in a t10 game with yamato and montana (particularly the latter is almost immune to attack. It comes down to identifying and then specifically attacking the montana who is getting shelled with HE and that's on top of dodging enemy fighters and other ships AA).

So what is the core issue with CV? They're the most unrewarding class to play. They are toxic to the game, USN for being so mediocre t4-7 and then outright awful at t8+. IJN are toxic for having no functional weaknesses and being the very same monobuild that WG nerfed USN to prevent.

See this image for my evidence,

http://imgur.com/8b1A9z8

Aside from being less rewarding than other classes to play, I really do not think that USN T9+ CVs are as bad as everyone (or you, in this case) says.

Sure, you get your face kicked in at T7-T8 (no fighters), and for a while I even thought that Essex was going to be a painful grind for me (especially given that I have grinded past the Taiho and saw how powerful it was), but that 1 fighter (with correct usage) will save you.

Trust me, it adds so much consistency to the damage you can do per game, and you will see the value of this 1 fighter everytime, more so against fighter-heavy playstyles/loadouts where your damage dealing capabilities become less hindered than if you were to have 0 fighters. Remember, losing your planes does not really matter if you already did around 5 ships worth of damage. Smashing past an AS loadout CV as a strike Essex gives a very satisfying feeling.

If you perform as well as those screenshots show consistently with the lex, grind to Essex. The Essex has the ability to truly destroy capital ships properly (Taiho struggles a lot more against heavy AA), although attacking smaller, more agile ships will prove challenging and may provide inconsistent results (mostly due to DB RNG). I guarantee you a pleasant experience as it is usually easy for a strike Essex to outdamage a Taiho (though I have done the opposite many times as well) due to the ridiculous (if inconsistent against smaller ships) and robust attack squads that Essex possesses, should you grind it.

Note: I have not yet grinded to the Midway, but judging from her stats,loadouts, as well as her competition (Hakuryu), IMO the Midway will struggle more as it will have to deal with 422 Hakuryus (322 Taiho is managable in Essex). If I may chime in, Midway needs 1 more squad for the upgraded loadouts (hard to use up the reserves unless you get absolutely dominated by enemy CV, and Midway upgraded loadouts show no direct improvements in instantaneous damage-dealing or air cover capabilities) or faster bombers to compensate. 

Edited by stratmania

38 posts
2,512 battles

Just played 5 games, and yesterday 14, almost every mach there were cvs. All tier 7. Easiest class to complete that arp mission and us cv missions at the same time.

yesterday i play 5 game using T7 IJN CV, while most of the teammate and enemy are T9 BB&CA(e.g. the enemy have 3 Iowa+1 North Coralina+ 1 Saipan):look:

...That's not funny nor fair to me:(

Edited by ben2benchan

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,840 posts
4,138 battles

Who cares..........................................In game.  Not in game.  I don't miss them.  The only difference is AA Cruisers don't get to pew pew.  Apart from that they are just pests

Super Tester
7,561 posts
8,001 battles

Since I'm way too good (!!!!) to dodge metal fishes, I still stick to AA defense. :P

That is my respect for CV and spotter/fighter planes lol.

Jokes apart, I usually play in div where 1 takes sonar 1 takes AA.

450 posts
7,896 battles

Well, it hard to balance the game. In one of my game, I was sailing in my Colorado. I only have BFT and AFT but no AAgun range mod. I shot down three planes in that game and the captain of the independence was crying, lol. I shot his entire TB and DB with my AA. 

Other than that, you can suggest WG to introduce the "spotting ribbon", which can be achieved by spotting energy ships for more than one minute. The exp gained by the ribbon should be equivalent to capping. 

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,025 battles

I deliberately switch my AA consumable to sonar

Honestly, not such a bad idea tbh. The torpedobeats can save you.

Who cares..........................................In game.  Not in game.  I don't miss them.  The only difference is AA Cruisers don't get to pew pew.  Apart from that they are just pests

Without them, some would argue that certain ships would be... much better than they would fare if CVs were there. I would place the Khaba/Udaloi, IJN DDs, and stealthfire cruisers as those who will get the most benefits, while USN ships may lose the opportunity to use their "flavor" (good AA).

Super Tester
7,561 posts
8,001 battles

Without them, some would argue that certain ships would be... much better than they would fare if CVs were there. I would place the Khaba/Udaloi, IJN DDs, and stealthfire cruisers as those who will get the most benefits, while USN ships may lose the opportunity to use their "flavor" (good AA).

USN and USSR DDs will suffer too, cause without CV spotting, it will be hard for them to find and engage those sneaky IJN DDs.

[BOTES]
94 posts
3,501 battles

I deliberately switch my AA consumable to sonar

When I discover cruisers without the AA power... I get a little excited. :playing:

Super Tester
1,056 posts
9,025 battles

My DM will still kick your pilot's rear end even without def AA

Yep, DM AA is non-negotiable for me. I will never attack one unless its literally the last ship on the enemy team.