Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Trojan63

Can Mahan compete with Sims & Bly in ranked?

12 comments in this topic

753 posts
8,965 battles

As the title suggests I was just wondering whether the Mahan can hold it's own against these OP adversaries which seem to be everywhere in ranked battles?

I have been stuck at rank 10 for about 2 weeks now using my Mutsuki but no matter how many times I use her to spot the enemy to no avail most times (I'm looking at you CA's) or how many times I cap or torp others I'm either top 1 to 3 in the team rankings (first mostly when we win) or absolutely last win or lose (big thanks to those that have carried me when last).

It will cost me 71,800 free xp to research her but that is not an issue since I have 181,000 and I can either start with a new 3 point commander (25 doubloons) or transfer an 11 point commander (500 doubloons which I really don't want to do unless it's worth it).

Hence my question.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,832 battles

Yes. IMO, Sims = Mahan = Blys.

Mahan and Sims absolutely dominate in knife fights.

Blys works well at longer ranges and against larger targets.

Mahan torpedoes are better than Sims, and has 1 extra dorsal launcher. Mahan gets that extra 5th gun. They fire slower overall but Mahan still has the higher HE DPM.

414 posts
9,268 battles

Mahan is almost the same as sims IMO, except sims have some AA and can invisifire while mahan has better torps and extra gun in Hull B.

414 posts
9,268 battles

I shared my mahan comm with sims hehe

I derped my comm, training vigilance instead of superintendent but still ok i think.

Go w/ the 1 comm skill. Mahan is ok enough but wasnt as great as farragut so 3 comm skills is kinda not recommended for me.

Edited by kentanghalla

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,832 battles

I shared my mahan comm with sims hehe

I derped my comm, training vigilance instead of superintendent but still ok i think.

Go w/ the 1 comm skill. Mahan is ok enough but wasnt as great as farragut so 3 comm skills is kinda not recommended for me.

Vigilance is good. Early spot that torpedo when you are sitting in smoke capping.

507 posts
9,828 battles

Ahh ok, thanks for the replies.

Could I go with the 3 skill point commander though?

The Answer really depends if you have a 15 point commander and how far do u wish to reach in ranked. Rank 10 and below you'll need the CE skill on any of those dd's without any doubt.

753 posts
8,965 battles

The Answer really depends if you have a 15 point commander and how far do u wish to reach in ranked. Rank 10 and below you'll need the CE skill on any of those dd's without any doubt.

Concealment Expert is a must for DD.

You just won`t be able to do anything without it.

I thought as much but that factor also means that rank 10 and below is the solely for players that have been around for some time which is a little unfair imho.

I might just persevere with my Mutsuki at 6.0 kms detection.

Edited by Trojan63

104 posts
12,504 battles

I would say yes, very good at knife fight in Cap circle, just pick your target at right distance. DD target I would say under 8km when he sailing toward you.

I actually just bought the blys after ranked S4 started. the captain was brand new, I trained the captain to 16 pts in random battles before I get in ranked. took me about a week to do so.

Edited by Szabla

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I thought as much but that factor also means that rank 10 and below is the solely for players that have been around for some time which is a little unfair imho.

I might just persevere with my Mutsuki at 6.0 kms detection.

Honestly, you could still give it a try with Mahan, just as long as you understand you'll be fighting at a disadvantage without Concealment Expert. Still, it is possible to do well with a <15-point captain, just significantly harder to do so.

Sign in to follow this