Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sammuell

Secondary guns shell option

7 comments in this topic

450 posts
7,896 battles

Is it possible for the players to choose what kind of shells to fire by the secondaries in the port?

Due to the low accuracy and I mainly use the secondaries in fighting DD or BB where the shells always over pant or ricochet. 

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Is it possible for the players to choose what kind of shells to fire by the secondaries in the port?

Due to the low accuracy and I mainly use the secondaries in fighting DD or BB where the shells always over pant or ricochet. 

Most likely your secondaries are already firing HE.

Only a few "large" caliber secondary guns use AP. Most secondaries use HE only. You can check what type they use by looking at the tooltip when you hover over the stats of the secondary guns. HE does not overpen or ricochet.

450 posts
7,896 battles

Most likely your secondaries are already firing HE.

Only a few "large" caliber secondary guns use AP. Most secondaries use HE only. You can check what type they use by looking at the tooltip when you hover over the stats of the secondary guns. HE does not overpen or ricochet.

The 152 guns on higher tier ships fire AP. 

Although it would be pretty amazing if a secondary gun achieved a citadel hit.  

Any statistics on the secondary gun citadel hits?

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

Imagine a ship with over 20 secondary guns broadside firing at you with nothing but HE.

While possessing BFT, AFT and Manual Aim for Secondaries.

Feels like getting shelled by two T8+ USN DDs with larger-caliber guns.

450 posts
7,896 battles

I just don't think the AP do stuff. It is hard for the secondaries to hit energy already. It really touch my nerve if the 152mm AP bouce when hitting them. I rather have HE to do base damage on them.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

I just don't think the AP do stuff. It is hard for the secondaries to hit energy already. It really touch my nerve if the 152mm AP bouce when hitting them. I rather have HE to do base damage on them.

Well, that depends... if the armor bounced your secondary's AP, chances are HE is likely not going to do any damage either.

This is due to the universal mechanic for HE damage, in which it will only count as a penetration (thus inflicting damage) if the armor it hits is less than 1/6th the HE shell's caliber.

The advantage of HE is that it ignores range and angle as well as doesn't ricochet. So while a 155 mm AP shell might ricochet off 25 mm armor at a bad angle, 155 mm HE will always penetrate it. On the flip side, the same AP shell would be able to penetrate 30 mm armor at a relatively good angle, but the HE shell will never penetrate it and thus inflict no damage.

Sign in to follow this