You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
fawx317

Rudder shift or Propulsion Upgrade for BBs and CAs

Rudder Shift or Propulsion Upgrade?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. BBs

• Rudder Shift Upgrade
    • Propulsion Upgrade
  2. 2. CAs

• Rudder Shift Upgrade
    • Propulsion Upgrade

14 comments in this topic

139 posts
5,876 battles

Hi guys, just wanted to gather information and feedback on which of the two newly updated upgrades to pick for BBs and CAs. I've personally done some testing myself in a few ships, but I'd like to hear what you guys think as well.

For my case, in the Yamato, I've swapped out the Rudder Shift upgrade to the Propulsion one, and it's been working well despite sacrificing rudder shift time. Considering it usually takes up to 15 seconds to get the Yamato to any maneuverable speed, reducing that by 50% for both acceleration (In both directions) and deceleration helped a lot. Though, I'm not sure if this benefit applies as much for other >T8 BBs, which feel nowhere near as sluggish as the Yamato.

I'm still on the fence for CAs. For IJN CAs the obvious choice would be the Propulsion upgrade. But for USSR or German CAs, which have average Rudder Shift Time (~10 seconds), I'm wondering which upgrade works better.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome :honoring:

507 posts
9,828 battles

For BB's the Damage Control system is more effective IMHO. Fire's are the biggest threat even more so than torps according to how i play.

Super Tester
7,560 posts
8,001 battles

Sort of no brainer for most cases. Ruddershift for BBs for obvious reasons.

For lower tier CAs, propulsion is better in my opinion (for example in svietlana or kuma who loses engine in the first hit)

For higher tier CAs, both are workable, but generally I think of rudder shift for wiggling.

139 posts
5,876 battles

For BB's the Damage Control system is more effective IMHO. Fire's are the biggest threat even more so than torps according to how i play.

Good point. Though, I think that can be mitigated with the Flood/Fire duration reduction signals, and premium consumables 

451 posts
6,946 battles

for tight turning circle battleships damage control system > propulsion and steering. this includes ships like new mex, colorado.

for large turning circle battleships like fuso and nagato, you're going to need rudder shift.

for CA you're going to need rudder shift, unfortunately. it is the only way they can avoid getting rekt by bbs.

for CL acceleration is preferable.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

for tight turning circle battleships damage control system > propulsion and steering. this includes ships like new mex, colorado.

for large turning circle battleships like fuso and nagato, you're going to need rudder shift.

for CA you're going to need rudder shift, unfortunately. it is the only way they can avoid getting rekt by bbs.

dude rudder shift upgrade does not affect turning radius and ones liks Fuso and Nagato have very decent rudder shift already (Nagato around 13 seconds forgot Fuso) 

Col and NM have decent enough rudder shift time, super tight turn radius but they are slow af. I run acceleration on them. It helped the Col heaps especially in RB. I am up to NC now and using rudder shift since NC is pretty fast but still using acceleration in Nagato

I feel like only running rudder shift in USSR ships since their rudder matches BB rudder shift and already have decent speed. I recently swapped the RS for Acc on my DM because stopping and starting faster is more efficient for helping dodge shells and torps rather than the RS. Just talking from experience

451 posts
6,946 battles

dude rudder shift upgrade does not affect turning radius and ones liks Fuso and Nagato have very decent rudder shift already (Nagato around 13 seconds forgot Fuso) 

Col and NM have decent enough rudder shift time, super tight turn radius but they are slow af. I run acceleration on them. It helped the Col heaps especially in RB. I am up to NC now and using rudder shift since NC is pretty fast but still using acceleration in Nagato

I feel like only running rudder shift in USSR ships since their rudder matches BB rudder shift and already have decent speed. I recently swapped the RS for Acc on my DM because stopping and starting faster is more efficient for helping dodge shells and torps rather than the RS. Just talking from experience

they indeed do not affect turning radius. Thus you need to get that turn as quickly as possible if not you're going to be broadsided.. For small turning radius ships u can just floor the brakes and a slight change in rudder will steer the ship massively due to small turning radius.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

they indeed do not affect turning radius. Thus you need to get that turn as quickly as possible if not you're going to be broadsided.. For small turning radius ships u can just floor the brakes and a slight change in rudder will steer the ship massively due to small turning radius.

oh well I guess its just fun watching every enemy salvo fall right in front of you or fall right behind your butt because you keep changing speed

507 posts
9,828 battles

Actually turning circle radius depends on the speed of the ship and hence the the US bb's of that tier have better turning circle.

Reducing the speed of the ship while turning reduces the said turning circle by some amount, not sure how much but its significant. Hence 1/2 speed while turning effectively gives a better turning radius.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

you bleed speed as you turn your ship. imo propulsion is better as huge ship like bb takes lots of time to reach full speed. with combination of slowing down and shifting your rudder is easier to evade shot and torpedo than just relying in your ruddershift time.

266 posts
5,142 battles

I tend to use rudder shift upgrade on both my BBs and CAs.

I like to wiggle a lot even in my BBs, so I can fire all my guns and still maintain good angling at the same time. Having better rudder shift makes it much easier to do it.

Maybe the only CA that I will consider using propulsion upgrade on is the Mikhail Kutuzov, because she needs to slow down fast enough when popping smoke.

1,452 posts
2,950 battles

even on IJN DD with 2 seconds rudder shift?

Rudder.

Maneuverability is life.

Torpedo bombers, dive bombers, 10x 203mm HE, 10x 410mm HE- The mighty rudder guarantees reduced, if not completely mitigated, damage thanks to angling and/or rapid change in course.

Speed is only good for getting away, but almost all dodging maneuvers require the rudder- You can't rely on increasing or decreasing the engine power the entire skirmish because accelerating and decelerating eventually slows down your ship. Combine that with rudder maneuvers, and you'll be a sitting duck.