Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Unraveler

Shell Travel Times for Cruisers

16 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

Here's some Cruiser shell travel times from the Public Test server. I found it interesting that these results don't always match the raw shell velocity stat we can see in the port view, which means some shells lose speed faster than others and/or have a different trajectory.

I'll only list the travel times for 16km for ease of comparison:

11.13 seconds - Nurnberg

10.86 seconds - New Orleans HE

10.39 seconds - Ibuki (Aoba and Myoukou also tested and were the same for all ranges)

10.29 seconds - New Orleans AP

10.05 seconds - Chapayev (Budyonny and Shchors also tested and were the same for all ranges)

9.01 seconds - Roon (Admiral Hipper also tested and was the same for all ranges)

8.75 seconds - Zao

8.75 seconds - Dmitri Donskoi AP

8.66 seconds - Dmitri Donskoi HE

7.52 seconds - Moskva

Some notes from my testing:

Moskva... wow. The difference between this and the next best (Dmitri) is significant. Moskva's time out to 20km is still only 10.00 seconds.

Zao was also very impressive. I knew the guns were better than the earlier ships of this line, but I wasn't expecting such a huge difference. Dmitri Donskoi has almost identical flight times and both these ships snipe beautifully from long range.

Roon (and Hipper) aren't too far behind but the increased travel time is noticeable when sniping. Of course, Hipper gets these guns at Tier 8 where it's unmatched, while Roon gets a turbocharged ROF. Still, I expected these two to be better.

Chapayev (and Budyonny, Shchors, and presumably Kutuzov) is where sniping begins to get difficult at 16km and over. Overall, though, they are still very good sniping guns, especially at Tier 6.

New Orleans was a bit of a surprise, sitting in between the Soviet light railguns and the Japanese 203s. These are all pretty solid choices for a sniping cruiser for both AP and HE.

Nurnberg. Hmmm. "Initial Velocity" of 960m/s would lead one to believe this was an amazing sniper. But it isn't. The flight time only begins to match the 950m/s Soviet 152s at less than 6km. Any further and the travel time inexplicably balloons. I was very surprised by the results of this one. If you want a long-range sniper, get Budyonny or Aoba instead.

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Nurnberg. Hmmm. "Initial Velocity" of 960m/s would lead one to believe this was an amazing sniper. But it isn't. The flight time only begins to match the 950m/s Soviet 152s at less than 6km. Any further and the travel time inexplicably balloons. I was very surprised by the results of this one. If you want a long-range sniper, get Budyonny or Aoba instead.

Lighter shells bleed lots of speed with distance, so it's not surprising that it would balloon.

The main issue though is that the UI isn't accurate for showing shell travel time at long ranges, it's off by quite a bit for whatever reasons, especially for lighter shells.

[SB]
116 posts
12,436 battles

thanks for the info...

but what about cleaveland?

Cleveland can't hit 16km. She also doesn't share her guns with any other ship.
Edited by Echo_8_ERA

139 posts
5,876 battles

Roon (and Hipper) aren't too far behind but the increased travel time is noticeable when sniping. Of course, Hipper gets these guns at Tier 8 where it's unmatched, while Roon gets a turbocharged ROF. Still, I expected these two to be better.

I learned this the hard way when I first mounted the Increased Range upgrade on the Roon/Hindenburg, and couldn't hit anything effectively at long range. German AP seems to suffer a lot past the original 17.8km range.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

Here's another interesting one. I originally wasn't going to bother testing Des Moines, but...

10.93s - Des Moines AP

That's not too bad at all. Not really in sniper territory, but still pretty decent. Also interesting, at extreme ranges 20km+ (using range mod and spotter plane) the AP and HE rounds have almost identical travel times. But as the range decreases, the HE reaches its target further and further in front of the AP. I suppose the super-heavy AP rounds retain energy better or something?

In any case, the "Initial Velocity" stat seems pretty useless for determining flight times.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

thanks for the info...

but what about cleaveland?

Can't get a 16km time for Cleveland - but it would be high. Really high.

At 14km, the AP rounds have a 9.92 second travel time. The HE rounds, 10.65 seconds. That's quite a lot worse than even Nurnberg (8.98 seconds at 14km, both ammo types). Budyonny is 8.23 seconds at 14km (for both ammo types). Like Des Moines, Cleveland's AP rounds retain their speed better than the HE. At about 7km, both types are about the same travel time, and HE will arrive earlier (than AP) as the range gets shorter.

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

Lighter shells bleed lots of speed with distance, so it's not surprising that it would balloon.

The main issue though is that the UI isn't accurate for showing shell travel time at long ranges, it's off by quite a bit for whatever reasons, especially for lighter shells.

Yeah, the weight and also aerodynamic differences appear to be modeled. That would explain why the more modern Soviet rounds perform better despite being a similar calibre to Nurnberg's rounds.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the UI. Hopefully it's not too far off.

Edited by Unraveler

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Can't get a 16km time for Cleveland - but it would be high. Really high.

At 14km, the AP rounds have a 9.92 second travel time. The HE rounds, 10.65 seconds. That's quite a lot worse than even Nurnberg (8.98 seconds at 14km, both ammo types). Budyonny is 8.23 seconds at 14km (for both ammo types). Like Des Moines, Cleveland's AP rounds retain their speed better than the HE. At about 7km, both types are about the same travel time, and HE will arrive earlier (than AP) as the range gets shorter.

thanks. for the info. 

i was tryig to max out her commander.

59 posts
4,539 battles

I think the shell trajectory also plays a big part on the time it reaches the target.

RU CAs have very flat arcs so the total distance traveled to the target is less, hence lower travel time. It's the opposite with USN CAs. Plus, lower projectile arcs mean more velocity relative to the horizontal axis, so the shells travel faster horizontal and do not lose much speed to the vertical climb.

Well, that's what my knowledge regarding projectile motion dictates anyway...

Edited by AkatsukiTeitoku

451 posts
6,946 battles

Can you lower the benchmark to 15km? The atago is a very influential ship and its guns are a different 203 variant. 15km is decent distance for most arcs to be at their final velocities anyway.

Ill submit my report for atago in a while.

EDIT:

Ship: VIII Premium IJN CA Atago
Shell calibre: 203mm
Variant: model 50, 3rd year mod.E
Firing Condition: 10 rifles, full broadside to starboard, locked on a target
HEinitial: 840
APinitial: 840

15.75km

15km

12km

10km

8km

Edited by Kleiss

Beta Tester
1,167 posts
7,495 battles

Those figures match my own:

Ibuki, Myoukou, Aoba

6km 8km 10km 12km 14km 16km 18km 20km
2.94s 4.16s 5.52s 6.92s 8.55s 10.39s 12.11s 14.21s

153 posts
3,262 battles

Interesting.. Do one for the BBs too... and where is the Yorck?? Oh wait, 1 year for the shells to land? sounds about right. :D

Sign in to follow this