Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rocdocta

Battleships in ranked battles

13 comments in this topic

19 posts
5,144 battles

Having just discovered ranked battles, i have also discovered how much i suck at it and the game in general. I used to play wows a fair bit but in the last 4 months its only been about 20 games. 

I want to like battleships and expected that using my range and big guns that my role would be sit back and pound the enemy. However whenever i do this i get smacked around in chat and called a camper. 

Now should i try and close in with the main group and give up my massive range advantage? Or should i hang back and fire at max range? My win rate is low and i know that my suckage is high. 

To try and better myself i watch Mighty Jingles etc and other replays for ideas. my average tier is tier 5 and 6. Oh and while i am here, the role of destroyers? forward screen or flanking threat to their BBs etc? i like to flank and attack their CV and BB with them.   

Any advice?

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Because when you use your range as advantage, your DPS get worse as well, the longer range also mean more time to Aim, more time to locate the enemy, more time to wait for your team get smacked to bits

if you see all the guide vids, none of them tell you to sit back at the map, especially ranked battle

for the Destroyer, they are 2 types, Gun boat and torpedo boat (IJN)

apparently, using IJN DD in ranked is not very fortunate, since the chance for you to able to cap is low when facing enemy Destroyer from USN or SVN with superior Firepower

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,241 battles

Simple. If you see majority of your cruisers moving forward, follow. But keep at slightly less than 10km in mid tier. And always check your map to see if your team is running. If you see your teammates dying and you are at full health, move forward and tank a little. Remember every ship dead is a bunch of guns off the battlefield

19 posts
5,144 battles

Thanks guys, i will stick with the pack and not hang back with the BBs. I am trying to get the hang of US DDs as i mainly use IJN ones and see their guns as decoration. Ranked is a fair bit different than standard play. Will have to practice alot more in open play so my lack of skill doesnt cost other guys their stars. 

Beta Tester
125 posts
6,162 battles

Ijn dd's tend to struggle in ranked as its the Russian and USN dd's that dominate the initial clamour for cap circles. As for BBs I have used the Nagato only as I like the speed, it can keep up with the cruiser push.

Max out your AA and your rudder shift to enable you to maneuver out of tricky situations, and use flags to reduce your burn time as you will be set on fire by everything.

15 posts
593 battles

I've only been playing this game for 2 months and so far I'm loving it. I'm getting the hang of it and right now thanks to mutsuki I'm in ranked 13. I don't often play maybe 2-3 hours a day. For some reason I get more torpedo hits with mutsuki than minekaze. I think it is because of the slower torps and my anticipation is better with it. I don't have any tier 7 except for the sims and I love him too. I guess just play often and eventually you'll get better.

563 posts
4,686 battles

Here, as a battleship. Please. Never stay at the back firing at max range. You'll not get many reliable hits. Join the cruiser to push. And go up front to tank depends on the situation. Shooting at 10-15km is always better than 18km+. And beware of dd. BB is all about positioning.

About destroyer. Here. Your main role is to capture points. In domination, always contest cap. 1 cap overwhelmed. Go to the other. Your job is to cap. Not to hunt BB or CV (if you can ambush them go ahead, but please. Don't search around map edges looking for cv while enemy dd capping zone for free). IJN dd sucks at contesting cap. Try other dd if you play ranked. 

You control your own win rate. The more you can contribute to a win. The better your win rate will be. And do understand how to win. (When to play defensive or go offensive. Which ship to concentrate fire first, and communicating with team mates) Best of luck to you, captain

124 posts

Disclaimer: I don't play Ranked Battle, but this should still apply for typical BB game play.

Use your BB's better range to be the first to spew leads, since most likely you're detected by the enemies anyway.

As others have pointed out, staying at your max range means less reliable hits. Also, especially IJN BB's camper range made more worse for your cruiser teammates to close in their distance to effectively hit anything, especially on DD targets.

That and the further you're away from your cruiser teammates means they're targeted by the enemies, regardless of enemy ship's class. BB could and should better use their HP and armour.

Prioritize on enemy cruisers first. Lacking that, then BB before DD.

You'll have to trust your cruiser and DD teammates will support you, fending off enemy DDs and earlier sighting of their torps.

The closer you're to the frontline allow you to have better result of your shots, RNGesus willing. 1 or 2 citadels on a cruiser would and should lessen the pressure off the your team. Not many have enough metal to remain long enough on the frontline with halfway their HP gone.

To prove my points and incentive(?) to you, my ARP Kongou in Random. My targets was between 10km to 15km even though I had solo (not team) advantage of 21km:

post-2008398230-0-82454700-1467341139.jp

Mind you, this is just average.

PS: I don't like campy BBs.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,284 posts

Disclaimer: I don't play Ranked Battle, but this should still apply for typical BB game play.

Use your BB's better range to be the first to spew leads, since most likely you're detected by the enemies anyway.

As others have pointed out, staying at your max range means less reliable hits. Also, especially IJN BB's camper range made more worse for your cruiser teammates to close in their distance to effectively hit anything, especially on DD targets.

That and the further you're away from your cruiser teammates means they're targeted by the enemies, regardless of enemy ship's class. BB could and should better use their HP and armour.

Prioritize on enemy cruisers first. Lacking that, then BB before DD.

You'll have to trust your cruiser and DD teammates will support you, fending off enemy DDs and earlier sighting of their torps.

The closer you're to the frontline allow you to have better result of your shots, RNGesus willing. 1 or 2 citadels on a cruiser would and should lessen the pressure off the your team. Not many have enough metal to remain long enough on the frontline with halfway their HP gone.

To prove my points and incentive(?) to you, my ARP Kongou in Random. My targets was between 10km to 15km even though I had solo (not team) advantage of 21km:

post-2008398230-0-82454700-1467341139.jp

Mind you, this is just average.

PS: I don't like campy BBs.

I don't play ranked battles or random battles for that matter, but I would probably do as this guy does with BB's.

Except maybe DD's......If they are close, They become top priority.

Blow them out of the water with secondaries and HE.

19 posts
5,144 battles

well i have taken your advice and act as a fast capper with the DDs. Have stopped using the IJN destroyers as i was being chased off cap by the US DDs. US ones seem better as they can torp and dont have painted on guns. 

The BBs...well  i am sticking with the group but its just so hard trying to keep the enemy in the 10km range zone. May try cruisers instead.

Thanks again for your advice on becoming a better captain (note that i still suck but not as much)

Super Tester
458 posts
7,194 battles

Ranked is a completely different ball game as compared to randoms, it is all about objectives, even killing ships is just a way to meet objectives.  Currently at rank 5 with about 59% WR, so here are some tips:

Firstly, don't die for nothing, you are just feeding the enemy.  If your HP is low, pls hide and avoid firing unless it is opportunistic.  That doesn't mean you be a pussy and wait for your team to melt.  Work with your team and plan strats.

Also, use premium consumables and don't bring uncompetitive ships.  Ranked is about teamwork and self improvement, not fun.

Destroyers:

Tier VI: Farragut, Minekaze, Gnevny

Tier VII: Blys, Mahan, Sims

Contest and defend caps, spot enemies, smoke allies, kill enemies (priorities in descending order).  Every spot you make gives your team information about the enemy team's disposition.  Detecting enemy DDs and capping are always priority.  For ranks 22-15 Minekaze can work, if you abuse your 44.2kts speed and 6km (5.4km with CE) detection to cap points early in game, and bail once you see an enemy DD (go for next cap).  Also good for torp spam into caps since 47s reload, and excellent at spotting other ships.  I got 67% WR on that until I reached rank 15.  Below rank 15, its basically just Mahan, Sims, and Blyscawica.  Gunboats are so much more flexible, with the USN having advantages in better smoke and more spammy guns, and Blyscawica having more HP and speed.   For DDs, your aim is always to cap, deny caps, smoke allies, kill enemy DDs, and most importantly don't die.  

Cruisers

Tier VI: Cleve and Buddy any day, HE spam to DDs is very important

Tier VII: Myoko and Shchors, Myoko for good HE and fires, Shchors for railgun HE shell spam against DDs

Cruisers main aim is to use their DPM against other ships, mostly DDs.  Also can support BBs using defensive AA (only load if you see CVs in queue) and Hydro (very useful when hiding in DD smoke).  Your main aim is to kill DDs and CAs while trying not to die.  Use cover and friendly smoke and support your DDs.  Also, enter caps to defend them (coordinate DD smoke pls)

Battleships

Tier VI: Fuso

Tier VII: Nagato (if you see CV queueing, Colorado if you have AA spec)

Tank damage, deny areas.  Kill CAs and DDs.  Use damage control and heal wisely (use premium consumables).  Feel proud if you get the Dreadnaught achievement cos that shows you doing your job.  BBs are mainly for soaking damage, defending/denying areas and killing enemy large ships threatening your DDs.  If the game has many DDs, load HE and one-shot them.  Pls don't die.  Don't push alone, stay like one map square behind DDs.  You should be similarly or even ahead of your cruisers cos cruisers are squishy af against enemy BBs. 

Carriers

Tier VI: Ryujo

Tier VII: Hiryu(6 squadrons), Saipan (fast planes)

Kill enemy planes, spot enemy DDs to force them to use smoke (and let your allies torp them), or spot for allied ships in smoke.  

TL:DR

Use WASD hax and don't die, go for objectives instead of kills, coordinate with your team, know your consumable cooldowns, map awareness, stay cool and win.

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

I learnt it the hard way through many games. Cruiser players are one of the most unreliable team mates you would ever get if you are in BB or CV or DD. Mostly what they do is ignore a DD at sub 10km and spam HE at a BB at far.

I just want to add another point to OP, don't sit back, but don't charge through the middle of the map either. Make sure you keep enemies at one side of your ship, not both. Use the mountains and high grounds to close the gap undetected (battleships have great concealment too), but do not cross the middle line of the map before it is even half game. Always prioritize shooting at DDs who are within 10km and cruisers close by. If you have good angling vs enemy BBs, they are the last thing to worry about. To evade torpedoes, always drive in variable speed, and once you see metal fish coming at you, turn into them instead of turning away to minimize hits.

Sign in to follow this