Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Strike_Blitz99

IJN Mutsuki class destroyer

13 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
28 posts
55 battles

The WW2 thread seems lonely..... Let's liven it up a bit with this feature of a less known destroyer class fielded during WW2: The Mutsuki class. (Disclaimer: pardon me for any inaccuracies or errors since I am still an amateur regarding ship tech)

Mutsuki-anime_zpsefc8816d.png

inb4 random Mutsuki from Kantai Collection pops up

"in Admiral mode": No mission today. Return to base pls

Given that aside, let'd get back to our main topic. Basically, the Mutsuki class were an improvement of the late WW1- era Minekaze class destroyers, to the point they and the preceding Kamikaze class are included in the Minekazes' roster. But what makes them different from their precedent cousins? First thing, lets look at the bow.

Here's a Minekaze class.

640px-Japanese_destroyer_Minekaze_Yokosu

And here's a real Mutsuki class

Japanese_destroyer_Mutsuki_1930.jpg

Yes, that bow shape. the Mutsuki class introduced the double curvature bow shape that later became standard on all IJN destroyers built before and during WW2. And not only that, the class also introduced the then new 24 inch (61 cm) torpedo tubes that later became the launchpads for the famous Type 93 Long Lance Oxygen powered torpedo. (Though that didn't even exist when they first came into service). But they retained the 4 x 120mm single mount battery of the Minekaze class, which still wasn't a problem considering Japan was planning the revolutionary Fubuki class of DDs which would change naval warfare forever. Anyway, that's a different story.

Thanks to the Washington Naval Treaty, Japan chose to improve her light (read: DDs/CLs) squadrons in the hope that their torpedoes could turn the tide in their favor in case war commenced. The 24 inch tubes meant that the Mutsukis were retained with their successors while the Minekaze and Kamikazes got demoted to second-line DDs. By the mid 1930s, they were refitted and their hulls made stronger thanks to the Tomozuru incident of 1934 which was the result of the IJN trying to pack too much firepower on too small a displacement. They also gained triple torpedo turrets similar to the Fubukis and Akatsukis which enabled them to fire torpedoes in all weather conditions. They soon saw service during the Second Sino-Japanese war in 1937, covering the Japanese invasion forces.

By the outbreak of the war in 1941, the Mutsukis were refitted with depth charges which allowed them to engage in ASW, but by then were still obsolete. But Wake Island saw one of the class (Kisaragi) being sunk by American F4F fighters. The rest were then involved in operations around the Philippines and Indonesia. 1942 saw them being involved in the deadly Solomon Islands campaign, which proved to be fatal for the class, with 5 of the class being lost to USN air attack.

By 1944, the surviving DDs had another refit to increase their AA capabilities,but wasn't able to protect Yayoi (in New Guinea) and Fumizuki (in Truk), with both being lost to airstrikes. By the end of the year, the class was decimated, with USN airstrikes claiming 2 and submarines claiming 1. Uzuki was sunk by US PT boats during the 1944 Philippine campaign.

All in all, 12 destroyers were built in the class, but not one survived the war. Still, they served and played a significant role in the IJN's naval campaigns

Specifications:

Year Completed: 1926 - 1927

Displacement(unsure): 1772 tons

Dimensions: 338'9" x 30'0' x 9' 8"

Engines: 2 shafts, 2 x Kampon geared steam turbines, 4 x Ro-Go water tube boilers, 38, 500 hp

Speed: 37. 25 knots

Armament:

(1920's)

4 x 120 mm L/45 Type 3 naval guns

2 x 7.7mm Type 92 AA HMG

6 x Type 12 610 mm torpedo tubes (total of 12 Type 8 torpedoes carried)[2 triple mountings]

16 x depth charges

16 x mines

(pre 1944, surviving members)

4 x 120mm L/45 Type 3 naval guns

up to 20 x 25mm L/60 Type 96 Hotchkiss AA cannon

up to 5 x 13.2mm L/76 Hotchkiss AA HMG

6 x Type 12 610mm torpedo tubes {either 12 Type 8 or 12 Type 93 torps)[2 triple turrets]

18 - 36 x depth charges

Fate:

Mutsuki: Lost to USAAF B-17s, Battle of the Eastern Solomons, 8 - 25 - 1942

Kisaragi: Sunk by USN F4F Wildcats, Wake Island, 12- 11- 1941

Yayoi: Sunk by USAAF B-17s and B-25s,  Solomon Islands, 9 - 11 - 1942;

Uzuki: torpedoed by USN PT boats PT-490 and PT-492 off Ormoc Bay, PH, 12 - 12 - 1944

Satsuki: sunk by USN air attack in Manila Bay, PH, 9 -21 -1944

Minazuki: torpedoed by USS Harder (SS - 257) off Tawitawi, PH, 6 -6 - 1944 (D-day :3)

Fumizuki: sunk in Operation Hailstone, Truk, 2 - 17- 1944

Nagatsuki: severely damaged during Battle of Kula Gulf, beached, 7- 7- 1943

Kikuzuki: Sunk by aircraft of USS Yorktown (CV-5), Battle of the Coral Sea - Tulagi invasion, 5- 5- 1942; salvaged by USS Prometheus (AR- 3)

Mikazuki: sunk by USAAF B-25s, New Britain, 7- 27- 1943

Mochizuki: sunk by USN PBY Catalinas, Central Solomons, 10 -24 -1943

Yuzuki :sunk by USMC aircraft off Cebu, 12 - 12 - 1944

Feel free to point out any mistakes :)

edit: corrected typo

Edited by Strike_Blitz99

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I'll be making one about the Shiratsuyus soon

(and password stop getting lost pls)

Make it easy to remember then!:honoring:

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,972 battles

It's a shame the Mutsuki is garbage in game, the Minekaze is better overall.  The Mutsuki only has more AA and a small increase in speed and turning circle, not worth it to lose 2 guns and add another 30 seconds on reload for torps :/

Good read though on the real Mutsuki.

Beta Tester
20 posts
1,029 battles

It's a shame the Mutsuki is garbage in game, the Minekaze is better overall.  The Mutsuki only has more AA and a small increase in speed and turning circle, not worth it to lose 2 guns and add another 30 seconds on reload for torps :/

deal with it, i even using mutsuki just for upgrade torpedo to my takao and tatsuta

Beta Tester
55 posts
2,724 battles

I'll be making one about the Shiratsuyus soon

(and password stop getting lost pls)

ehh what about password recovery ?

err nice write up.

Edited by soccy

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,277 battles

So far it's the worst Japanese DD I've encountered in game, the Minekaze was so damn good and then suddenly you get a DD that is inferior to the Minekaze in every way.

The first real disappointment I've encountered with the game so far.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

totally agree the tier 6 jap DD is totally rubbish and it is the worst ship in the game

I hate  it and omg  trying to grind it is a joke

I think I have 3 wins from 20 battle in it it is really bad

Sign in to follow this