Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FishyPower

Evaluate my tactics please

11 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,229 battles

2 tactics I want to talk about. I  feel that these are very useful tricks that isn't well known (If a little limited in use)

Tactic 1: How to close distance in a DD with lesser damage. I mainly use this in the Minekaze, but it should work with any DD with a decent rudder turning speed. Please don't bother attacking if a ship like the Atlanta is with the target (or is the target itself...)

First step, verify that you show only your front and a little of one side to your enemies, be it your target or any enemy ships around your target (Smallest target as possible) 

___________ Enemy boat

/            <--Your boat

/              <--Your boat      Bad illustration, but I failed my art... So don't judge

/                <--Your boat

Second step, pop smoke when near detection range, as close as possible. Due to lack of communication between players and the fact that a lot of players lack awareness, they won't notice that you popped smoke and have lesser time to react to you.

Third step, when players fire at you, turn immediately in the other direction (Requires a little bit of good reflexes). What should happen is that your boat kind of drifts and thus dodges the enemy fire. (Turn left in the case of my drawing)

___________ <--Enemy boat             ___________ <--Enemy boat                                 ___________ <--Enemy boat        

II <--------- Enemy fire

II <--------- Enemy fire

/            <--Your boat       ---->              I            <--Your boat      ------> Enemy Fire ------> II \     <-- Your Boat

/              <--Your boat                            I            <--Your boat                                                   \    <-- Your Boat

/                <--Your boat                            I            <--Your boat                                                     \  <-- Your Boat

Using this trick along with a time of enemy shots, it will greatly improve your skill at getting close to the enemy, and turn being about to more accurate in getting torpedo hits.

Additional tip: Launch torpedos a little in front and behind of suggested line.

Tactic 2: BB defense against DDs. (More like a list of tips than tactics)

Tip 1: Don't reload HE unless you are sure you can be done by the time DD reaches 5.0km (More if DD is one of the faster DDs)

Tip 2: Try to hold your fire until DD starts turning to launch torpedoes. (At close range most of your shots will hit, and should be able to one salvo the DD)

Tip 3: If DD is trying to circle you, turn at half rudder and at 3/4 speed (So as to make the DD mislead his shots) (To the DD captain, this is why I say fire a little in front and behind of the suggested lines)

Tip 4: If the DD fires torpedoes too in front of you, move rudder to edge and reverse engine. (Be careful when using this as the DD captain may have kept a tube or 2 loaded to fire at you when you slow down. If that really happens, not much can help you as that DD captain is a skilled one) (To the DD captain, if you use this trick, it does increase the time that you have be close to your enemies, which increases your chances of dying and decreasing your chances of escaping)

So those are my tactics (Tips and tricks). Please tell me whether there is anything better and tell me why if you don't think they work.

Thanks a lot :D (First long post, hope I did fine)

Edited by FishyPower

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

2 tactics I want to talk about. I  feel that these are very useful tricks that isn't well known (If a little limited in use)

Tactic 1: How to close distance in a DD with lesser damage. I mainly use this in the Minekaze, but it should work with any DD with a decent rudder turning speed. Please don't bother attacking if a ship like the Atlanta is with the target (or is the target itself...)

First step, verify that you show only your front and a little of one side to your enemies, be it your target or any enemy ships around your target (Smallest target as possible) 

*snipped*

Tactic 2: BB defense against DDs. (More like a list of tips than tactics)

So those are my tactics (Tips and tricks). Please tell me whether there is anything better and tell me why if you don't think they work.

*snipped*

Thanks a lot :D (First long post, hope I did fine)

1. Suicide torp run only works in low tiers. Don't even try to do this over tier 5. Specially against cruisers with fast rof or against good battleships. You are assuming the the target as horizontal wrt your ship, which is not going to happen, and people usually do ripple fire at DD, that means wiggling at close range will mean more of your modules getting knocked out. + at tier 7 and up, battleships secondaries will shred your DD if you get within 7km. You cant shoot torp with torps knocked out, right?

2. It is somewhat good, I would not hold my fire though, if I can kill a DD in 8 KM, I am not going to let it come to close 4. Best BB defense against DD is, as soon as DD is flat with you and really close, hard turn towards DD with cutting all your speed, and if dd is a bit far away, turn away in similar fashion. And in case you are in a battleship, and not exclusively fighting DDs for a while, don't bother switching to HE if not low tier. APs kill faster at higher tiers.

Edited by icy_phoenix

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Tactic 1 evaluation:
1. Don't bother popping smoke. You'll just keep coming out of it anyway, which means any smart player will wait until you appear, then open fire. Save the smoke for escape, or lay it earlier and stay inside for ambush purposes (offensive smoking).

2. If you're already going to approach into detection range, save your torpedoes for when you're broadside at point-blank range to guarantee a hit. Or fire one spread to force a turn, then save the remaining spreads to finish off a rudder-locked target.

3. You're going to want to be dodging constantly anyway against an IJN battleship, or else the secondaries will eat you alive.

Tactic 2 evaluation:

1. Queue a HE reload if a DD is on a banzai charge. Otherwise, don't reload HE at all. AP shells still do considerable damage to destroyers even on overpen (around 1k per shell, multiplied by the number of shells hitting). Even better, if the shell rakes down the length of the DD, it counts as a regular pen instead of an overpen.

2. None of that rudder or speed nonsense if a DD is within banzai range. Point bow away from DD, flank speed, only make a turn when it launches torpedoes. Otherwise, you'll find yourself rudderlocked and unable to maneuver out of the way of a properly-aimed torpedo salvo. The engine stop thing only applies if DDs are launching broadside from you.

3. Missed out two crucial points. One is to always turn into a torpedo salvo if it comes from broadside, to generate a miss. Second point is that if you can't generate a miss, do your absolute best to take the torpedo hit directly amidships where the TDS is strongest. Always avoid taking torpedoes to the bow or stern.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

tactic 1: as common sense as this looks, some players may find it useful.

tactic 2: true, and not only to DDs but also to other ships specially to cruisers. if they are close enough, hold your shots until they show their broadside

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,229 battles

tactic 1: as common sense as this looks, some players may find it useful.

tactic 2: true, and not only to DDs but also to other ships specially to cruisers. if they are close enough, hold your shots until they show their broadside

Crusier don't need it too much cause of high ROF

1. Suicide torp run only works in low tiers. Don't even try to do this over tier 5. Specially against cruisers with fast rof or against good battleships. You are assuming the the target as horizontal wrt your ship, which is not going to happen, and people usually do ripple fire at DD, that means wiggling at close range will mean more of your modules getting knocked out. + at tier 7 and up, battleships secondaries will shred your DD if you get within 7km. You cant shoot torp with torps knocked out, right?

2.if I can kill a DD in 8 KM, I am not going to let it come to close 4. 

1. I guess that means I seal-club too much XD, but would it work to deal with isolated targets?

2. Of course, but if you see a Minekaze pop out at 6.0km, you don't want to start loading HE cause by the time you are done, he is probably like what? 3km away from you

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,229 battles

Tactic 1 evaluation:

1. which means any smart player will wait until you appear

2. If you're already going to approach into detection range, save your torpedoes for when you're broadside at point-blank range to guarantee a hit. Or fire one spread to force a turn, then save the remaining spreads to finish off a rudder-locked target.

3. You're going to want to be dodging constantly anyway against an IJN battleship, or else the secondaries will eat you alive.

Tactic 2 evaluation:

1. Queue a HE reload if a DD is on a banzai charge. Otherwise, don't reload HE at all. AP shells still do considerable damage to destroyers even on overpen (around 1k per shell, multiplied by the number of shells hitting). Even better, if the shell rakes down the length of the DD, it counts as a regular pen instead of an overpen.

2. None of that rudder or speed nonsense if a DD is within banzai range. Point bow away from DD, flank speed, only make a turn when it launches torpedoes. Otherwise, you'll find yourself rudderlocked and unable to maneuver out of the way of a properly-aimed torpedo salvo. The engine stop thing only applies if DDs are launching broadside from you.

3. Missed out two crucial points. One is to always turn into a torpedo salvo if it comes from broadside, to generate a miss. Second point is that if you can't generate a miss, do your absolute best to take the torpedo hit directly amidships where the TDS is strongest. Always avoid taking torpedoes to the bow or stern.

Tac 1, Pt 1: A lot of them aren't XD

Tac 1, Pt 2: First part is covered, guess I still need to improve, didn't really use the second one much XD Always in a panic when I launch torps

Tac 1, Pt 3: I thought secondaries were random and only RNG could save you XD

Tac 2, Pt 1: Yeah, should have mentioned that

Tac 2, Pt 2: But what if you see him coming in from say 7+ km and is on a banzai charge

Tac 2, Pt 3: True, but isn't that common sense XD

Edited by FishyPower

[IMSDF]
Beta Tester
218 posts
4,648 battles

these tactics are already been applied to those who knew how2ship "years" ago..... (including me)...

but anyways...nice observation :great:

:honoring:

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

2. Of course, but if you see a Minekaze pop out at 6.0km, you don't want to start loading HE cause by the time you are done, he is probably like what? 3km away from you

I consider myself a destroyer of destroyers.

hhaha well jokes apart (i'm kinda noob), most of my kills are probably DDs, cause I look for them to get high XP in battles. PS, I advised against loading HE. I killed many DDs with devastating strike using only single AP salve.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,229 battles

these tactics are already been applied to those who knew how2ship "years" ago..... (including me)...

most don't and tbh, i kinda regret posting this, makes it a lot harder to seal club if people actually read it XD, my stats are bad enough as it is... (jkjk not really)

Sign in to follow this