You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
silenthunter19944

Advice need for Colorado

11 comments in this topic

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Howdie folks. I unlocked the Colorado for a few day now and after grinding for a while I have got the (B) Hull and the upgraded engine for the ship. I am also using arty plotting room for +16% range improvement as a substitute because I haven't unlocked/buy the new gun fire modification 2 yet. 

So, what should I do from here (researching and upgrade wise) what upgrades or modules should I get ASAP because my poor f2p wallet is not very large -_-. Also, I would really appreciate it if you all can give me advice so I can play well in this ship. 

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,801 battles

Research the Hull C or Engine first. Both are really good. You wont need FCS that early if you are going arty plotting room.

Personally, my Colo grind was Hull B --> Hull C --> Engine --> FCS

For Equipment:

1. Armaments Mod 1, for extra turret HP so it doesnt get lol-incapped.
  2. Artillery Plotting Room for that extra range OR AA Mods to farm more salt from CVs.
  3. Damage Control Mod 1. The other 2 aren't very useful for BBs.
  4. Damage Control Mod 2 OR Steering Gears Modification. You can either reduce burn times or reduce your rudder shift time. Both are good.

You want Premium Repair and DCP.

For Crew Skills, these are good:

1. Basics of Survivability, BFT, SA
  2. Expert Marksman
  3. Superintendant or Vigilance
  4. AFT, Manual AA if you REALLY hate planes.
  5. Concealment Expert or Manual Secondaries

Colorado has really good citadel protection but she lacks HP compared to the Nagato.

She's a good brawler against other BBs as she can hit hard with good protection.

Edited by TE_Deathskyz

1,196 posts
2,883 battles

Research the Hull C or Engine first. Both are really good. You wont need FCS that early if you are going arty plotting room.

Personally, my Colo grind was Hull B --> Hull C --> Engine --> FCS

For Equipment:

1. Armaments Mod 1, for extra turret HP so it doesnt get lol-incapped.
  2. Artillery Plotting Room for that extra range OR AA Mods to farm more salt from CVs.
  3. Damage Control Mod 1. The other 2 aren't very useful for BBs.
  4. Damage Control Mod 2 OR Steering Gears Modification. You can either reduce burn times or reduce your rudder shift time. Both are good.

You want Premium Repair and DCP.

For Crew Skills, these are good:

1. Basics of Survivability, BFT, SA
  2. Expert Marksman
  3. Superintendant or Vigilance
  4. AFT, Manual AA if you REALLY hate planes.
  5. Concealment Expert or Manual Secondaries

Colorado has really good citadel protection but she lacks HP compared to the Nagato.

She's a good brawler against other BBs as she can hit hard with good protection.

Thank you for your advice. May I ask you what captain skills I should also get as well ?

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

I would like to make following suggestions which is a bit different than TE_Deathskyz.

Upgrade: 

Engine -> Hull B -> FCS -> Hull C

Reason:

1. Engine is cheap, and easy to get first.

2. Hull B is no brainer.

3. You need that extra range, really, because you have now played like 20 games, and you can now utilize the range better.

4. Although it doesn't tell anywhere, Hull C seems to increase accuracy, and Colorado AA from Hull C is really really good. CVs wont target you at first for sure.

Module Upgrade: 

TE_Deathskyz is absolutely spot on.

Captain skill (first 15 points)

Situation awareness(1), Expert marksman(2), Superintendent(3), AFT,(4) Concealment(5)

Consumables:

User regular fighter, regular heal and premium damage control (it costs 22000 credit, click on the 15 gold drop down and select the credit option), and the third camo. Trust me these are good investment.

Why premium dcp? You catch on fire every time HE salvo hits you. Why normal heal, Colorado heal is godlike for T7. Why Fighter? You wont really need to find a target 22Km away, and very low chance of actually hitting it. With FCS skill + your ships AA + your fighter + your WASD hack, there is no T7 CV who can make a successful drop on you at the first half of the game.

Playstyle:

You really want to get up close, use the mountains for cover, make sure you do not expose yourself to too many cruisers at the same time. Colorado's handling is awesome, much easier to do torpedo-beats. Don't show your butts to battleships, Colorado is well known to get penetration through her butt. 

Don't expect citadel hits much over 12 km, Colorado dispersion is kinda trolly. if you get some that's bonus. Make sure you do good shots, and you will get huge penetration damage. When you see DD up close, don't bother switching to HE, your AP shell will devastate the destroyer if you aim at the front half.

You are a great brawler, bot don't go brawling agaisnt amagi, nc, tirpitz etc if there are other options. when going up against nagato, be careful about nagato's devastating secondary array. You spit on everything else.

75 posts
4,778 battles

Ever wonder why the hell WG decided to give Lolorado less minimum citadel armor that New Mex? 

Or why the hell she has less health than everyone?

Or why she's horribly inaccurate even though West Virginia (which really should be the top hull) was accurate enough to hit Yamashiro at 20,800 meters with her first salvo?

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

Ever wonder why the hell WG decided to give Lolorado less minimum citadel armor that New Mex? 

Or why the hell she has less health than everyone?

Or why she's horribly inaccurate even though West Virginia (which really should be the top hull) was accurate enough to hit Yamashiro at 20,800 meters with her first salvo?

"Lolorado" hell ya I like this name :D

451 posts
6,946 battles

I would like to make following suggestions which is a bit different than TE_Deathskyz.

Upgrade: 

Engine -> Hull B -> FCS -> Hull C

Reason:

1. Engine is cheap, and easy to get first.

2. Hull B is no brainer.

3. You need that extra range, really, because you have now played like 20 games, and you can now utilize the range better.

4. Although it doesn't tell anywhere, Hull C seems to increase accuracy, and Colorado AA from Hull C is really really good. CVs wont target you at first for sure.

Module Upgrade: 

TE_Deathskyz is absolutely spot on.

Captain skill (first 15 points)

Situation awareness(1), Expert marksman(2), Superintendent(3), AFT,(4) Concealment(5)

Consumables:

User regular fighter, regular heal and premium damage control (it costs 22000 credit, click on the 15 gold drop down and select the credit option), and the third camo. Trust me these are good investment.

Why premium dcp? You catch on fire every time HE salvo hits you. Why normal heal, Colorado heal is godlike for T7. Why Fighter? You wont really need to find a target 22Km away, and very low chance of actually hitting it. With FCS skill + your ships AA + your fighter + your WASD hack, there is no T7 CV who can make a successful drop on you at the first half of the game.

Playstyle:

You really want to get up close, use the mountains for cover, make sure you do not expose yourself to too many cruisers at the same time. Colorado's handling is awesome, much easier to do torpedo-beats. Don't show your butts to battleships, Colorado is well known to get penetration through her butt. 

Don't expect citadel hits much over 12 km, Colorado dispersion is kinda trolly. if you get some that's bonus. Make sure you do good shots, and you will get huge penetration damage. When you see DD up close, don't bother switching to HE, your AP shell will devastate the destroyer if you aim at the front half.

You are a great brawler, bot don't go brawling agaisnt amagi, nc, tirpitz etc if there are other options. when going up against nagato, be careful about nagato's devastating secondary array. You spit on everything else.

i disagree. Hull B should come first priority as it gives the armor it desperately needs. I ground out this ship from stock, and i can say that even kongos pen the A hull for massive damage.

What he gets next is just icing on the cake as the new 406s (that come with the B hull) and armor are already the core of the ship.

For 1m slot i am running acceleration mod. It has allowed me to accelerate away from incoming torpedoes more frequently.

Also, colorado has good horizontal dispersion, but really crappy vertical dispersion. As such any mistakes in vertical aim correction will result in a full salvo miss at any range beyond 10km. If u cant correct for horizontal lead precisely, it's fine, but your vertical lead MUST be on point.

Other than that tedeath has explained everything and is dead on right about the playstyle and modules+skills

Edited by Kleiss

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

i disagree. Hull B should come first priority as it gives the armor it desperately needs. I ground out this ship from stock, and i can say that even kongos pen the A hull for massive damage.

When I was grinding, I felt the speed and acceleration to be hurting me most. So I took that first. It is only a matter of few games if I remember correctly. Haven't tried the acceleration in any ship yet, since I am learning WASD hack.

451 posts
6,946 battles

When I was grinding, I felt the speed and acceleration to be hurting me most. So I took that first. It is only a matter of few games if I remember correctly. Haven't tried the acceleration in any ship yet, since I am learning WASD hack.

speed didnt really bother me, i was basically a snail firing HE :S

Yeah it's a few games but really at the cost of sanity